z

Young Writers Society

Wayward's Whimsical Wanderings

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:44 pm
View Likes
waywardxwanderer says...

I ask you if you believe in happy endings, and you tell me the world is a radio show. The songs always end, but the songs always begin again, and sometimes a voice reaches out between the tunes to ask how you’re doing even though you can’t answer. Oftentimes, you say, there is static, and the radio waves don’t reach you, but it doesn’t mean you’re not in range. Sometimes the radio won’t listen. That doesn’t mean it can’t.

i. My chest buzzes at this, a radio buzz. I can’t seem to turn it down, but I can undo the screws of memory and wires of all the subtle feelings. I ask you this, too. How to turn the radio off. You say, There’s nothing to be done. I ask you a favour, then: smash this radio heart to bits.

ii. I hear a faint song from my radio ribcage, and your voice like an announcer cuts in and tells me no. You could never bring yourself to break anything that could be fixed. Instead, you say I should listen to the voice in the radio until, when it asks how I am, I can say, “I’m okay.” That’s a happy ending, you say. Happy enough.

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:59 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Spoiler! :
(really happy you are giving NaPo a try wayward! :) And this is an excellent opening poem - the combination of radio in a chest/ribcage is just a perfect creative image and I like the unexpected directions you took with the metaphor as well your use of italics at the end too which gave this unsettled sense that maybe happy endings don't truly exist. Looking forward to reading some more poetry I hope, thanks for sharing!)
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:59 pm
View Likes
waywardxwanderer says...

I have no idea if this is replying to your specific comment or not but thank you sm!!

Don't be sad bc sad backwards is das and das not good
— LadyMysterio