Young Writers Society

Cuckoos and Chalk Marks

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:08 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I'm an elf!"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:20 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Now the crystals glowed again.

"The crystals glow when we're telling the truth," I said, staring right at the one closest to me as it glowed again, "and the ground shakes when we lie."
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

112 Reviews

Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:47 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

The crystals glowed for that statement as well. "Excellent!" Sorenson said, grinning. "So...how do we get out, then?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:20 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"...Good question," I replied. I scanned the room and ignored how the crystals glowed again when I made that comment. "I don't see a door."

Another glow.

"Maybe this is like the hallway we were just in," I guessed. "We have to wait here for awhile until a door appears. We didn't see the one in the last hallway until we were right in front of it."

The crystals glowed bright to all of that.
mage

queer and here.

112 Reviews

Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:36 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Sorenson wrinkled his nose. "I hate waiting." The crystals glowed, and he sighed. "Are there any comfy seats around here or do we have to sit on boulders?"

she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:28 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Already knowing the answer, I replied with, "There's just boulders."

Surprising probably no one, the crystals glowed again. I eyed our selection of rock seats and settled on one just a few feet away from me. It would be uncomfortable after awhile, but it was a good place for now. I walked over to it and sat down atop the somewhat flat top.
mage

queer and here.

112 Reviews

Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:51 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Sorenson sat down on one nearby. "So....we're in a bit of a pickle, aren't we?"

she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:51 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"Looks like it," I said. I barely paid attention to the glowing of the crystals around us now. They were just going to be an annoying side thing while we waited for this room to throw its worst at us. It was frustrating when we didn't know why they were glowing or why the ground was shaking, but it would just be how things were now.

...Unless I used it to interrogate Sorenson. I still didn't know much about him, now that I thought about it.

I kept the same bored posture and innocently asked, "So, earlier. When we were talking about my...master, you mentioned that you thought a lot of victims started out admiring their parents or masters. What made you think that?"
mage

queer and here.

112 Reviews

Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:38 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Oh, you know." He waved a hand. "Personal experience." The crystals glowed.

she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:48 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Well that was frustratingly vague.

It was also entirely on me, since that was how he had replied the first time I had asked a slightly different version of that question.

"As the victim, parent, or master?" I asked. Maybe that would get him to be more specific.
mage

queer and here.

112 Reviews

Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:49 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Sorenson chuckled. "Oh, I see what you're trying to do. That's not fair, not fair at all."

she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:57 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

The crystals decided to glow then, but I decided to ignore them.

I smirked.

"I just see it as taking advantage of the situation," I said. The crystals glowed again. "It's fair enough to me."

The crystals kept glowing, even though what I said completely contradicted what they had just glowed to in Sorenson's response. Maybe it was based more on what you thought was the truth, and not just something that was absolutely fact.
mage

queer and here.

112 Reviews

Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:59 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"And what's your plan if I decide not to answer, hm?"

she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:02 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I opened my mouth to answer, then faltered. I didn't have an answer for that.

"That's for you to find out," I finally settled on. The crystals glowed again, although the glow was more unsteady—like they weren't really sure that counted as a truth, but also knew it wasn't really a lie.
mage

queer and here.

112 Reviews

Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:06 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Sorenson studied the crystals and grinned. "This ought to be fun. Alright then, I'll not be answering that one."

she/her

A true poet does not bother to be poetical. Nor does a nursery gardener scent his roses.
— Jean Cocteau