z

Young Writers Society

New Review Queue on Front Page

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:31 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

If you take a look at the bottom half of the front page, you'll notice something missing: the new literary works area. In its place is the Review Queue.

By default, the Review Queue shows works from the past 31 days in need of reviews. However, since the default also shows predominantly novels, you can choose to show only works by friends, poetry, only short stories, only novels, all types, or only new works.

Let me know what you think and if this is more helpful than 'New Literary Works.' I left the old code in, so I can always switch back easily.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:56 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

This is great, and also, I can't stop saying "review queue" out loud!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:57 pm
View Likes
lilymoore says...

I adore this, Nate! I just got home, opened up YWS and was pretty much super shocked.

What I'm wondering about is, when you say that it shows works from the past 31 days in need of reviews, how do you classify something as being in need of a review. Is it just like the Literary Works with 0 Comments link does it go by 1? Or maybe both.

I guess the only suggestion I would have with this is that you can't see how many comments the work has already received.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

425 Reviews

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:10 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Lily ->> Good questions! And the answers to both are linked.

For the options "All," "Poetry," "Short Stories," and "Novels," it sorts the works based on how many comments they've received. This way, the ones with zero are at top. In practice, this means all the ones shown have zero comments (at least for now; hoping that'll change over the next 24 hours!), and that's why the number of comments isn't shown. Otherwise, it just looked bad to see "O comments" for every item on the list.

For "New Works" and "Friends," it's sorted by time such that the newest works come first regardless of the number of comments they've received. But, I haven't added "X comments" for these since it'd be confusing for just some of the tabs to show you the number of comments.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:10 pm
Sins says...

Oh, wow, I love it. :D

Unless someone's asked me for a review, I struggle to find something to review without searching the forums for ages. With any luck, the Review Queue will find some writing for me. It helps with my laziness.

Speaking of laziness, there is one thing I'm not 100% keen on. I mostly used the old format to check my own stuff - "Your Works". That's no longer there anymore. It was good to have if I ever wanted to quickly edit/check on some of my posts without having to go into my portfolio or search the forums. Mind you, this is probably me just being lazy.
Last edited by Sins on Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

425 Reviews

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:33 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Solid point, Skins. A 'Yours' tab has been added.

562 Reviews

Reviews: 562
Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:38 pm
View Likes
Button says...

To be perfectly honest (and I maybe the only person who feels this way) I liked the old section better. This is a fabulous idea, but I would incorporate the old layout-- the page views, the display, the rollover sneak-peeks... all that stuff. Great idea though!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:19 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

I like this, I never really paid much attention to the old section so I can't comment on this being better or not, but I think it's looking good.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:43 pm
View Likes
LookUpThere says...

I used the old system extensively, especially the 0 Comments and 1 Comments thing - does that carry through. Is that what you mean by 'in need of reviews'?

It looks awesome though.

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:07 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

I agree with Persephoneia -- I liked the old layout better of two columns with a little info, though I love the new name and organization method.
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

425 Reviews

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:00 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Made some changes to take in feedback.

First, comments and views have been added back in.

Second, the 'all' tab is gone. In its place, the 'new' tab is now the default tab (the same as the old new literary works but with a fancy new dress). I took the 'all' tab out as almost no one was using it to find stuff to review. That meant it wasn't useful, so hopefully it'll be more useful now.

Third, you can now choose under every tab to see only works with 'X comments.'

That should hopefully meet everyone's concern as well as make the area more helpful. The one suggestion I decided not to implement was to bring back excerpts. This is because we have topic descriptions now, and those should actually provide more helpful info than the excerpts.

If you do not find the new area helpful, please let me know why. Is it visually confusing? Did something happen that you didn't expect to happen? Did something not happen when you expected it to happen?

562 Reviews

Reviews: 562
Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:07 pm
View Likes
Button says...

Perfect. :)
Thanks so much for all the hard work!

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:28 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

Great idea!
My only thing is I preferred the old layout. (But no, I ain't complaining.)
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

Do. Or do not. There is no try.
— Yoda