z

Young Writers Society

The August 17 to August 18 Twelve hour blackout

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:09 pm
Nate says...

Well, YWS just returned after 12 hours of downtime. So what happened?

Last night, I went to change the name of the administrator account that YWS uses to access things like the database and the server. I thought this would take just two seconds since all I'm doing is changing a name; in fact, it's just like renaming a folder. Nope.

Instead of renaming (which would make sense), the system instead creates an entirely new account (which doesn't make sense). It then moves everything from the old account to the new account, then deletes the old account. Subsequently, YWS went offline for a while.

But after 12 hours, the site is finally back, and thanks to some modifications I made just to get the site back up, it's also slightly faster.

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:28 pm
View Likes
KitxKat says...

Yes!
I literally cried when I couldn't get on last night. Glad to know it's faster, too!
When life hands you a BAD ROMANCE, pick up your TELEPHONE, call ALEJANDRO and JUST DANCE!

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:12 am
Firestalker says...

Yeah, that was a very... unexpected blackout. Not to mention that last year the same thing happened at approximately the same time as well. o.O Coincidence? I think not!
--
Who is not Insane one man ask, the answer being a fool.
Are you Insane the same man asks, - "Oh yes!. The Mad Hatter being saner!"

Ghosts, demons, and ghouls cannot scare the cat's underling.
— TheMulticoloredCyr