z

Young Writers Society

Why Was The Chat Shut-Down?

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:19 pm
Cade says...

Try not to turn it into a debate, please! YWS itself is a privilege; we get all this because of Nate's hard work and dedication and the mods' support. The same is true for chat; if Nate feels that it's causing trouble or is otherwise hard to maintain, then he has every right to remove it from the site.

Mesh is also right about whatever issue precipitated the removal...I trust Nate when he says it's on a need-to-know basis.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:20 pm
Sam says...

Rei -- you're twenty two years old. You're an adult. I'm a minor. It makes me really happy that Nate is willing to take precautions to keep me safe, because let's face it. I'm a teenage girl. Nothing screams, "RAPE ME" more than that in our society. You have all the rights and capabilities that go along with being an adult, and there are thousands of sites out there if the chat is something that you really want to have.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:23 pm
Manny says...

Woah. I was under the impression that people could disagree, that they could have an opinion. Don't attack Rei just because she doesn't agree.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:34 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Way to go, Nate--I think it's really cool that you'll take steps that maybe aren't popular in order to keep your members safe. I've got a little brother on here, and if your decisions can make this a more secure site for him (not to mention me!) to hang out on, I give you total props. :D
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:42 pm
Fishr says...

Guys, it's just a chatroom. I admit I was a little disappointed but here's the deal. If ya'll want to stay connected, there are messenging services available. Just hit up your friends with PM's by including your screen name handle, and poof! You all have connections again.

At any rate, there is a good point. I'm not the only one on here that's in their mid-twenties and I've seen new members register who are around, though a little younger, my age. I can see why it was shutdown. There are far too many online preditors out there. It's easy to pretend to be thirteen when the person very well may be forty-five.

I have no complaints. Cheers!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:44 pm
Clo says...

This topic is very unsettling, and to see how people are arguing...

I agree with Cade. YWS itself is a privilege. This is an amazing site, and we're lucky little writers to have it. It's not respectful to Nate to try to argue with him over something which is a kind perk like the chat room is. This is his site, and I trust in whatever decisions he makes for it.

I hope we can be civil to one another about it.
How am I not myself?

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:49 pm
OverEasy says...

I agree with Garrison, let's just all breathe and calm down. It was a chat room, now it's not. It's a bummer, but it's also safer.

We can still keep in contact with each other, there is this pretty little button on everyones profile that says PM me. Click it and bam! Connected!

We'll all survive, 'twas only a chat room. It's not like he took the whole site down (thank the Goddess for that, because I love this site)
Life is for living.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:49 pm
Rei says...

1) I was not arguing, I was expressing an opinion, nothing more.

2) You are right, Sam. I just don't think it's right to get right of something just because it's potentially dangerous.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:51 pm
andimlovegalore says...

I agree with clograbby - what she said.

We shouldn't argue because it's not really a democracy here =] to half-quote Terry Pratchett, it's a one man one vote system - Nate is the man and he has the vote. What he says goes so whatever. Just enjoy the rest of the site everyone!

Personally, I've been on chatrooms since I was 10 and I've never felt at any point that I was in danger, but it's not my decision and I'm willing to accept. I agree that it's not right to just destroy every chatroom *just in case* but in the case of this site it has another purpose other than chatting, it's not like we can't chat outside of the chatroom if we want to.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:52 pm
Manny says...

Yeah, we can use IM and PM to stay in touch with our friends, but chat was also a way to help the newer members and make friends. The forums just don't have that same level of connectivity. We aren't "arguing" with Nate. I don't agree, but I'm not arguing. The fact is that this is his site, so whatever he wants to do he has the right to do. Whatever he says is final. Sorry I didn't come in here with a more "omg! I used to love chat, but now all of a sudden it isn't that important!" kind of attitude. I'm not fighting back, only voicing my opinion. :p

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:53 pm
JabberHut says...

I'm thinking a radio show next month. :D

Halfway through maybe? I mean.. a show this Sunday is kind of like.. holy poo. :shock:

September?

That's just me, of course. :lol:

~ Jabber ~
I make my own policies.

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:03 pm
OverEasy says...

Sir Mantis wrote:Yeah, we can use IM and PM to stay in touch with our friends, but chat was also a way to help the newer members and make friends. The forums just don't have that same level of connectivity. We aren't "arguing" with Nate. I don't agree, but I'm not arguing. The fact is that this is his site, so whatever he wants to do he has the right to do. Whatever he says is final. Sorry I didn't come in here with a more "omg! I used to love chat, but now all of a sudden it isn't that important!" kind of attitude. I'm not fighting back, only voicing my opinion. :p

So are we. It's not like we aren't going to miss it, but there is a reason behind it, and a good one at that.

Don't take it personally, k?
Life is for living.

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:16 pm
andimlovegalore says...

I don't know anything about the radio show =] how does it work? (sorry if this is just totally off-subject!)

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:22 pm
Teague says...

andimlovegalore wrote:I don't know anything about the radio show =] how does it work? (sorry if this is just totally off-subject!)

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/stations/flylady/yws

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:22 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

andimlovegalore wrote:I don't know anything about the radio show =] how does it work? (sorry if this is just totally off-subject!)

It's a radio show, hosted by Nate (and Brad, I think), that lasts for about an hour/two hours. They come up about once a month. Here's the YWS Radio web page - you can listen to old shows from there.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
— Charles Mingus