Young Writers Society

Discover The Sanctum

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:36 pm
Nate says...

http://sanctum.youngwriterssociety.com

The Story

They say that in the ancient times, the world was filled with havoc. The gods were mean and spiteful, and man suffered in their shadow. Civilizations would rise only to be doomed by forces they could not control or foresee.

In this time, there was a man named Prometheus who dared to defy the gods, despite being half a god himself. He brought fire to mankind, and was punished for doing so. Zeus, the head of the gods, chained him to a bed of rocks for eternity; his liver forever being eaten by an eagle.

But before his condemnation, Prometheus boxed up all the evil spirits in the world, trapping them forever.

That box has now been opened.

Twelve years ago, the Kingdom of Sanctum laid in hills of rolling green; fields lush with plenty. Now demons loom in forests seeped in dark decay. Crops lay stricken; plagues prosper.

The King has sent forth for heroes. Many have answered. None have survived. Yet, they say, if you can slay the green dragon, Sanctum will be saved.

But for now, the people pray.

Sanctum is a browser-based text role playing game based on the Legend of the Green Dragon game engine and brought to you by the same guy who brought you the Young Writers Society.

Why Sanctum? As already said repeatedly, Sanctum is new. It is different, and I thought I'd give something different a try for a bit. The idea came forth because of the intense activity in the Storybooks section, so I thought there might be an interest in something like this.

User interaction in Sanctum is pretty minimal. You can have player versus player fights, but that's really about it. Otherwise, just head over to the Tavern and talk with Nate the barkeep, flirt with the maid, or converse with the bard.

Currently, there are only a few places you can go to. There is the village of Sanctum, the forest, the mines, the temple, and a few others. This will change over time; more villages will be added, and more areas as well. In fact, the village of Spew with a desert area should be available quite soon.

And since it is part of YWS, there is a Library in the village of Sanctum where you can submit your own works. It's a Library so you can't comment or add on to the works, but it should still make for some fun.

So welcome to Sanctum!

http://sanctum.youngwriterssociety.com

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:53 pm
Aedomir says...

This is great! This is what makes YWS so unique, the great ideas, originality.

I love the idea of the library! I have submitted something, but I just realised I missed off half the title :-)

-Mark
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:54 am
chocoholic says...

I love it! It's a great idea Nate.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:14 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

Uber! :D
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:53 pm
gyrfalcon says...

I'm addicted!
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:23 pm
Layleun says...

You make your way across the room, to the desk.

Just as you begin to relax, Nate jumps out from another doorway and laughs at you, and you nearly wet your pants in fright.

You run out of there in a hurry.

You lose some of your hitpoints!

----------------------------------

:lol: Thanks a lot Nate XD

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:24 pm
ink_on_fire says...

I'm addicted too. :)
Smile - ur alive

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:53 pm
MidnightVampire says...

I'm addicted, also. The library rocks. Gotta love libraries.
I realized that I said I'd be gone for only two weeks...but I was gone for much longer.I hope to stay on this time. :)

440 Reviews

Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:23 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Umm....I'm not sure if this is the place, but how do you get to the Tavern? All I have access to right now is the forest and Market Street--will more come as I rise in level?
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:50 pm
Nate says...

gyrfalcon wrote:Umm....I'm not sure if this is the place, but how do you get to the Tavern? All I have access to right now is the forest and Market Street--will more come as I rise in level?

You have to get to Sanctum, the Capital.

Right now, you are probably on the Isle of Wen, which is the training area. If you look in the City Gates section on the left, you'll see "Leave Isle of Wen." Eventually you'll come to a village. From there, click on Travel then go to Sanctum.

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Perra says...

I <3 Sanctum.
That should be a YWS t-shirt.
:)
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:04 pm
Sureal says...

Hah hah, I love this.

And the Dark Arts rule, people - 40% of my forest fights have been flawless. 8) (Not that it's really been hard. I'm still on the Isle of Wen.)
I wrote the above just for you.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:18 pm
Rydia says...

You should be thinking of moving on if you're getting that many flawless fights.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

440 Reviews

Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:41 pm
gyrfalcon says...

When should you move on?

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:43 pm
Perra says...

I don't think it matters. Maybe after you've gained a level?
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

Half goat, half fish, all goatfish.
— OSP Red