z

Young Writers Society

Important Changes! Pay to Post! [Must Read]

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:13 am
seeminglymeaningless says...

Spoiler! :
Sorry Nate, I should have checked for this first.

Anyway guys, what do you think of this?

I believe maybe points shouldn't have anything to do with it (in a way). Maybe it could be changed slightly to incorporate more programming to ensure the 2:1 ratio is actually implemented (I understand people will over 2000 posts would have some sort of exemption, as it would be incredibly difficult for them to go back and make their ratio 2:1). I personally wish that the 2:1 ratio was *real*, because then I'd be forced to go make more reviews. It's not like I need the motivation, but the challenge of keeping up the review count would make me work harder.

This is the if then else statement that would work best:

If condition [ Then ]
[ statements ]
[ ElseIf elseifcondition [ Then ]
[ elseifstatements ] ]
[ Else
[ elsestatements ] ]
End If

ie (in language that I hope is clear to understand):

If "Submit" button is clicked
And Value "UserReviews" divided by Value "UserPosts" equals less than 2,
Then
Message box is displayed, "Your review to post ratio is not 2:1, therefore your request to post [insert name of post] has been declined. To rectify this, please increase your review tally. Thank you."
Else
Message box is displayed, "Your post has been successful."
End If

(and now what it would *really* look like)

lblUserReviewCount.Text = UserReviewCountValue
lblUserPostCount.Text = UserPostCountValue

Private Sub btnSubmit_Click()
If ((UserReviewCountValue / UserPostCountValue) < 2) Then
MsgBox("Your review to post ratio is not 2:1, therefore your request to post" & topic123123 & "has been declined. To rectify this, please increase your review tally. Thank you."
Else
MsgBox("Your post" & topic123123 & "has been successful.")
End If
End

Someone also said something about having the rules as a condition that they have to agree to when someone new joins. As it is now, all you have to agree to is to not use foul language. Another page adding the rules before the information fill in page wouldn't do any harm.

Especially if there's a quick question at the end that should be answered:

"To proceed in joining the Young Writers Society Community, please tell us what the preferred ratio of reviews to posts is:

a) 1:1
b) 5:1
c) 2:1

Submit."

With each option checkable.

If they get it wrong they are prompted to reread the rules.

---------

I don't know how to code in phpbb (and my coding is shoddy regardless :P), so maybe if/then/else statements wouldn't work.

Oh, I had no idea. . .
Last edited by seeminglymeaningless on Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:17 am
View Likes
Firestarter says...

seeminglymeaningless,

We had coding to enforce literary ratios. It stopped everybody posting.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

377 Reviews

Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:51 pm

Wait, really? No one posted? :O

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:57 pm
Rosendorn says...

The amount people reviewed nosedived when we hard-coded the review ratio into the site. The site's activity also dropped substantially.

Basically, it's been done, and not worked, so the points provide a self-motivating way to encourage reviewing without being too stiff.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:37 pm
StellaThomas says...

I really like the Reviewing Checklist, Nate :) (Except... I can't remember ever spell-checking a post. Whoopsie). And the Pay-to-Post system. But I'm with Rosey- I swear at one point I was earning 200 points per review- though that could just be my useless memory. It's definitely back to fifty now.

Also agreeing with the idea of paying to post in Storybooks. I remember it used to be, like, 5 points a post or something. Which, if you have 34,000 points isn't really a big deal, but it's still something to get Storybookers out into the forums.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:57 am
Nate says...

Unfortunately, even making it just 5 points per post in Storybooks not only deters spam, but it deters all forms of posting there as well. When we did it before, it effectively killed the Storybooks forum even though most of the posters had hundreds if not thousands of points.

In any case, I'm wondering what people think of the 100 points per literary work thus far. It's definitely leading to fewer works being posted, and I think (but I'm not sure) that it's led to more reviews as well. But I'd like to hear what y'all think of it thus far.

Also, have you noticed if the quality of reviews from new members has gone up any? Is review spam down?

And if you're a new member, are you finding the reviewing checklist helpful?

377 Reviews

Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:44 am

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, or I'm utterly retarded, but I don't see a Review Checklist anywhere on my screen when I post a reply :/

Spoiler! :
Sorry about the size, any smaller and you wouldn't be able to see anything

Am I missing something so obvious I look right past it? :(

With regards to spam reviewing, I noticed that there were a lot of recently locked fan fiction topics because some random person was reviewing stories over a year old. However, that might be the only case happening, and by all means, that person might not be reviewing solely for points.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:04 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Yeah, seemingly, I noticed that too. However, it is on the Quick Reply in reviews (I was using it for an art review).

I think the Pay-to-post is a great idea, especially just so it gives us a reason to have points other than gifts and contests and the like. And I've seen some totally awesome reviews from new members which make me smile- whether that's because of the system or that they're just really cool people, I don't know.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:13 pm
View Likes
Sassafras says...

I think the review checklist is really helpful. It help me to make sure I write down everything that will improve the author's writing. And if I don't have everything checked off, I read over the story again and add another piece to my review that pertains to the unchecked box. It's really helpful and I'm glad it's there.

Paying to post is a good idea. It gives people more reason to review. The new people that come here won't be able to post immediately, they would have to review a few works before posting their own entry. Review before posting is in the rules anyway, right? If you put a price on posting, it would encourage people to review more and review rates will go up. Well, that's what I think anyway.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

1272 Reviews

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:32 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Seemingly- The review checklist is only when you post a reply to a literary work. Not all the time. :)

I haven't really looked at the literary forums all that much to notice anything! But I am noticing a lot less spam. Actually, somebody posted their novel beginning in Writer's Corner to get feedback before blowing the points on a work, and I'll keep watch in that area (for another month, at least) to see if more ideas get posted there for feedback instead of the little snippets of stories that are just being posted for feedback get put there.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

377 Reviews

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:26 pm

Thanks Rosey and Stella for pointing out to me where the checklist is hiding :P I should frequent the Advanced Critique area more often.

"Reviewing Checklist: Did I give a general impression? Have I explained my points? Did I say why I liked or didn't like it? Have I run spell-check on my review? Will my review help the author improve?"

Wow, that's a fantastic idea! Why isn't this implemented for All Literary Forums - by all, I mean all. I mainly prowl the science fiction and fantasy short stories, and generally people reviewing there are great. But when I visit the fan fiction forum, I'm stuck by hundreds of reviews like, "Zomg, Harry Potter/Naruto/Pikachu is da best! I love the way you potrayed him coz thats so liek what he is in real life and your the best writer!" I understand that perhaps they're not actually reviewing, I mean, they don't have to review. . . Because opinions are great too. . . *crickets chirping* . . . But maybe the checklist can be added in the short story forums too? . . . Or is that a bad idea/too hard to implement/asking too much of people who only want to give opinions?

1272 Reviews

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:34 pm
Rosendorn says...

Seemingly- It is in all Literary forums.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:44 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

Seemingly, I thought it already was implemented there? I see it when I review short stories and the like, and it even appears in the poetry forums.

In any case, I've kinda been slacking on the reviewing, so I haven't really noticed anything except really different review-quality-wise. >.>

I do miss being able to get 200 points per review. Especially since I almost always go over 1K characters, and getting only 50 points for a 7K character review is a bit discouraging. If it's possible to increase the character and/or points ceilings (to maybe 3K and 200 respectively), that would make me (and probably others) very happy. It would also reward those reviewers who take the time to be very thorough.

I do realize that the 50 point max was put in place to make the 2:1 ratio essentially mandatory, though. And it is pretty effective. It just doesn't really encourage thorough reviews. >.>
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

1272 Reviews

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:53 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Ky: On the thorough reviews thing... from somebody who has figured out approximately how long a review it takes to get 50 points, it's about three/four paragraphs. Which is rather long for the average review and is (often) rather thorough. I do agree it's discouraging to get only 50 points for a really really thorough shred, but at the same time I did those before the points got bumped up to 100 (200 was for Review Day) so I don't think it'll make a ton of difference. I also like how it makes the 2:1 review ratio self-enforced.

I could be wrong on the thorough thing, though.

377 Reviews

Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:45 am
View Likes

. . . omg. I'm so sorry. I don't ever use the "Quick Reply" button, so I never realized. Gosh, I'm an idiot. Well then. Now that I'm aware of it in Quick Reply, I'll change my suggestion :P What about having the Checklist on the Reply screen as well? For those random people who use all the colours and pretty coding :)

You flare, you flicker, you fade... And in the end, all your tomorrows become yesterdays.
— Megatron (Lost Light, by Roberts, Lawrence, Lafuente)