z

Young Writers Society

Wolf's Writings

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:15 pm
Wolf says...

I know I have already made a thread for the 'nameless novel', but now that I've actually started writing it from the beginning, I figured a new one wouldn't hurt.

The story:
The plot is still pretty undeveloped, but I've decided on this so far:

Ayra has lived a completely normal life for thirteen and a half years. She's made friends, she goes to school - basically, she's just for average kid.
And then Guinevere comes. This is explained in the second part of the prologue (which I haven't yet posted on YWS).

In a nutshell, Isaria, Ayra's mother (this is all happening in another world, just thought I'd let you know) asks her to go to Earth as part of her training. Isaria is the kingdom mage (the other world is called 'The Kingdom of Rain'), highly respected. Guinevere is under strict instructions NOT to tell Ayra anything about the Kingdom, as Isaria doesn't think her daughter is ready yet.

Why isn't she ready? Simply because when she was a baby, Isaria cast a masking charm over her, so that she looks and acts human. (Oh yeah, under all the charm stuff she is one of the Elkari, as are Guinevere and Isaria.)
The charm hasn't worn off. Isaria warns Guinevere that should she use any spells and whatnot, the masking charm will begin to deteriorate. (You should also know that Isaria wears a masking charm too, and she acts as Ayra's normal mother while on Earth.)

Ayra and Guinevere become friends. Well, at first Guinevere hates Ayra's guts and basically ignores her, but then Ayra finds Guin's diary... she doesn't believe in the Kingdom at first, obviously.

And the rest is yet to be decided! I'm one of those people who decide the plot as they go - planning ahead sends me into writer's block. XD

Problems:
I have a lot of issues with characterization. Which probably isn't a good thing, lol. I've joined the Character Developement Usergroup and I'm doing research and exercises, so we'll see if that helps any.

That's about it, so far. Keywords being 'so far'.

Projects:

- Research and learn how to use the 'extended metaphor' (suggested by Dream of Fayth)
- Create a basic sketch of the are in the Kingdom where Isaria and Guinevere live
- Work on character developement

Posted on YWS so far:

- Prologue - part one

-------------------------------------------

I kind of dumped that on you guys, didn't I?

... so if you have any questions, please ask.

And help is greatly appreciated, as are comments and such.

- Camille :D
Last edited by Wolf on Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:28 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

^_^ Read prologue, commented. It looks lovely. Oh! If you need help with characterization I'd be happy to give you some tips if I can. Characters are the most important thing in a story, after all.

Good luck! You're off to a good start.

^_^ Keek!

(Have you ever read Tithe by Holly Black? =P Your story reminds me of it a little, though that's probably just because I'm looking at a short resume and not the actual thing.)
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

602 Reviews

Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:35 pm
Wolf says...

Thanks so much, Keek! (Is that your real name? I love it!)

I don't know exactly what my problems are for characterization -- once I post the first chapter, I'll read it over, compare it to other pieces, and try to figure out what's missing. :)

Cheers,
Camille
everything i loved

Would you like a review?

220 Reviews

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:09 am
Sleeping Valor says...

=P Keek's not my real name. I don't know how it started. One of my friend's started calling me Kiki, and then another (more mature) friend started calling me Keek. Which I like since my middle name is Kathleen and my first name is Akilah. ^_^

Good luck with the characters. viewarticlebody.php?t=18786&highlight I saw this this morning. I haven't read it yet, but maybe it will help?

^_^ Keek!
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

602 Reviews

Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:54 am
Wolf says...

Thanks!

That article really helped. :) Snoink is so smart!

Anyways, here's my progress:

- I have started to research the extended metaphor, and it looks great.
- I am almost finished my self-edit of the second part of the prologue. To be posted on YWS soon!
- Done several rough sketches of the region in the Kingdom where Ayra lives, as well as one of her community in Ottawa. (Where she lives on Earth.)

---------------------------------

Well, it's coming along! (AKA I'm procrastinating, lol.)
everything i loved

Would you like a review?

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:28 pm
Aedomir says...

You are great with wolves! I know you are basically obsessed but I think it's really fun and you are a great writer!

Keep Writing!

~D'Aedomir~
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

602 Reviews

Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:49 am
Wolf says...

Hehe, thanks Aedomir! :D

Progress:
- Done some basic character sketches (I'm not much of an artist, but 'twas fun)
- Written a few experimental pieces using the extended metaphor
- Completed a map of The Kingdom of Rain

Things to do:
- Print out some characterization activities
- Type up the second part of the prologue

Research:
I just realized that I'm going to need to research some diseases and whatnot, because about halfway through the book, Ayra encounters a village dying from a strange disease. I'm thinking of making it an ailment that already exists... which brings me to my project:
I was thinking, and I realized that a lot of the diseases we have today are kind of self-inflicted. I mean, a lot of people wouldn't have lung issues if they didn't smoke, right? And there's no cigarettes or anything in the Kingdom. So, Im going to have to research what kind of diseases were around a couple centuries ago -- I know some, like scurvy, but I think I should know more.
everything i loved

Would you like a review?

602 Reviews

Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:05 am
Wolf says...

The complete prologue is up!

Just in case you guys are interested. (Hint, hint!)

(Have you ever read Tithe by Holly Black? =P Your story reminds me of it a little, though that's probably just because I'm looking at a short resume and not the actual thing.)

I haven't, but is it good? I mean, should I read it? XD

Cheers,
Camille
everything i loved

Would you like a review?

220 Reviews

Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:20 am
Sleeping Valor says...

I loved it. ^_^ Check out her site (Holly Black, google, it should show up) and make sure you read them in order. =P I think it's Tithe, Valiant, and Iron*insert the rest of the word*.

^_^ They're good. I doubt they'll be like yours exactly, but there is a similar theme ish. But read it just for the goodness of it, they're great stuff.

602 Reviews

Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:31 am
Wolf says...

Thanks Keek! ^.^
everything i loved

Would you like a review?

602 Reviews

Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:34 pm
Wolf says...

Okay, there's going to be a delay in the story. I can't post it for a long time as I'm seriously grounded (see my blog for details) and I won't have computer access except for at school and when my mom is out of the house. >.<

Just thought I should let you know! This means that my rewrites for the prologue and Alphess won't be posted for a while. :(

Your miserable writer,
Camille
everything i loved

Would you like a review?

602 Reviews

Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:45 pm
Wolf says...

Still grounded, as you might have noticed by my lack of active-ness on YWS.

But I'm getting a lot of work done for my story. Which is a good thing, no? I'm almost done my rewrite for the prologue, and all I need to do is post my rewrite of Alphess - part 1. But I probably won't be able to until I'm un-grounded.

I keep having these random flashes from my story. I keep seeing Ayra under a stormy sky, tossing her mane of blue-tinted black hair back and laughing, almost arrogantly. Which tells me that she needs to be arrogant; I have an instinct. Should I follow it?

Anyways. I've sketched her head in my notebook, and something tells me that she needs to have amber and brown eyes. According to the Mary-Sue litmus test, having an unusual eye colour is mary-sue-ish... jeez, I sound like a nerd. But I imagine her irises as being wolf-gold, flecked with splinters of a soft brown colour. Does that sound okay? I'm going to keep them that way regardless, but I'd appreciate your opinions. If anyone actually reads my rants here anymore. :roll:
everything i loved

Would you like a review?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:46 pm
Sam says...

Bah, intuition is great. Go for it. Just write it and see where it leads you. ^_^
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:19 pm
Prokaryote says...

*agrees with Sam*

If it doesn't work out the way you wanted you can always go back and revise.

Prokaryote

602 Reviews

Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:16 am
Wolf says...

Thanks, you guys! :)

I haven't really gotten much done over March Break so far, but I bought a really nice notebook (leather, artist paper) so I'm going to attempt to sketch some more things.
everything i loved

Would you like a review?

akdsjfh you know that feeling where you start writing a scene but then you get bored with the scene so you move on and start writing a different scene and then you get bored with that scene so you move on to an entirely different WIP and then you get bored with that so you move on-
— AceassinOfTheMoon