z

Young Writers Society

Help; I'm drowning in a sea of literary problems!

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:53 am
Wolf says...

Firstly, I've got Writer's Block. My head is crammed with ideas to the point of constant migrains but I just can't seem to get it down on paper/word document.
Secondly, I can't think of a title for my story. I'm considering Wolf Heart, but that doesn't sound quite right...
And Thirdly, I think I need to improve my writing. Seriously...

If anyone has some suggestions to solve these problems, I would appreciate help :)
Or, if you don't and would just like to rant about your own literary issues, go ahead ^^
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:55 am
Snoink says...

Stop the migranes! Take some medication. :)

And don't worry about the title... you have to write it first. And if you like Wolf Heart, take it!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

602 Reviews

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:57 am
Wolf says...

:lol: The Migrains don't bother me as much, it's just the fact that I can't seem to be able to write anything :cry:
You're right about the title though; maybe if I finally finish it, I'll unearth some new name?
everything i loved

Would you like a review?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:09 am
Emerson says...

1. Writers block doesn't really exist! Just take a break, a deep breath, and give your creativity some time to sink in and stop strangling you. If you can't write for the moment, try not to pressure that because that never helps. Trust me, I've tried pushing it and one of two things happens; either A) your brains start leaking out your ears or B) you've written complete slush so writing it was more effort than it was worth.

2. Titles can always be changed! If you feel you need a working title, go for it, but titles, like all words in any story, can be changed. Don't feel tied down by what ever your title is. Titles are nasty buggers, best figured out once you're done with your story and you actually know everything about it.

3. The only way you're going to get better is by practice! Since you seem to be dying from novels [or so I am guessing?] why not try the short story? It's a great way to work on one or two parts of writing that you aren't good at, or all of them really, in a short, easy to edit space. They aren't as stressful as novels, and they're really fun. Or, keep working on the novels. Either way, the only way you're going to get any better is to practice and read and learn from what others say (unless you completely disagree with them! then don't listen).

Hope this helped. :D Just don't stress out. I know I get into a total loon when I can't write, but the best advice I've ever been told is not to push the muse. They end up biting back if you do... Just give yourself some time to relax and before you know it you'll be back in the flow of writing!!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

602 Reviews

Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:13 am
Wolf says...

Thanks!
I'll try to relax a bit more now; you know, just let the flow of the writing come to me. Eventually [I hope] I'll get somewhere.
As for the short stories, I am going to compose a series of those about my old Role playing/Storybook character. Already I feel better! :D
everything i loved

Would you like a review?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:15 am
Emerson says...

Yeah, ranting always makes one feel better! :D Especially when someone is listening.

Something else you might want to try (though I seem incapable of actually doing) is getting a notebook/journal so you can write everyday. Your ideas, thoughts, stories, poems, emotions, what ever, just write? They say it's good for you but...Like I said, I can't keep one. It doesn't work for me. It might work for you, though.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

602 Reviews

Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:18 am
Wolf says...

So true! (about the ranting)
I should try that- it seems like a cool idea and when I get over my block I can return to it and gather my ideas/thoughts/emotions.
everything i loved

Would you like a review?

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:03 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

Titles:

Black Wolf
Wolf Girl
Wolf
The Wolf inside the Girl
The Girl inside the Wolf
(wait your story is about a wolf right?) lol

i doubt that was helpful, but i thought i'd do my best at obliterating ONE of your literary problems. as for writers block, start by not thinking about it. seriously. don't think. let impressions and ideas just come to you. sometimes my best ideas come when i'm just hanging out with friends and someone says something sort of odd and really funny. then it snowballs and i'm writing that comment into a bit of dialogue and the dialogue goes in its own direction.

anyway, that's my little rant. :D have fun battling writer's block! (somebody should write a short story about battling writer's block - a big man-eating tiger or something...hmm...)
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

A Prince of Darkness Is a Gentleman
— William Shakespeare