z

Young Writers Society

Publishing poetry

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:04 pm
Goldenheart says...

I've decided I'd like to publish a poetry piece of mine, but I have absolutely no idea where to start, or what to do. I'm sure there are plenty of writers out there with experience. Could I get some tips? Thanks.

Goldie
"I hate the word 'Truce'. It means 'Fun's over'." ~My little sister

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:05 pm
McMourning says...

Hello!
It depends on where you'd like it published and what genre it is.

For example, a story about the end of the school year could be submitted to your school's newspaper. But, they wouldn't appreciate a poem about murder.

If you're more into a larger population reading it, look for a magazine. The back of every Writer's Digest lists magazines and their pay-per-submission. You should be able to pick up a copy at the local library.

Or, look in any magazines you currently subscribe to. Maybe there's a poetry contest, or they're looking for a true story about "x" and that's what your poem is about. You can also look on-line, often, upcoming articles ideas are posted there, with the hopes that someone will have a poem/story/article about that to submit through email, or a form on the site.

Best of luck,

McMourning
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:59 pm
Snoink says...

Since you're fifteen, you got a good chance. Check out some children's or teens literary magasines and start there. And, if you have a high school, definitely try to get things up there. :D

But yeah. If you're really serious, there's a book called "The Writer's Digest" which can help you find places that are looking for poems. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:23 pm
Sureal says...

www.duotrope.com
I wrote the above just for you.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:51 am
stupidiot92 says...

When i write poetry(i am not that good at it) I write down what comes to mind and let others tell me how to make it rhyme.
It doesn't think, doesn't feel.
It doesn't laugh or cry.
All it does from dusk 'till dawn
is make the soldiers die

In any free society, the conflict between social conformity and individual liberty is permanent, unresolvable, and necessary.
— Kathleen Norris