Carlito is Noveling

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:28 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Now for the....

Great British Bake Off Crawl!

1. I enter the competition by doing a 15 minute word war while I fill out my application: DONE

2. I've been selected for the next round of applications! I have to sprint to the nearest 1000 while I jump for joy. Oh my. I just passed 53k, so I need to write 972 words: DONE

3. I need to bake a cake to show off to the judges. I have to sprint to the end of the scene to show myself off: DONE (wow that took a minute!!)

4. There are three challenges in each episode of the bake off. I have to do a three digit challenge while I learn the rules. That'll be 319 words for me: DONE

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1162 Reviews

Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:54 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

5. For my signature bake, I have to make cookies. I need to sprint for 5 minutes while I mix my dough: DONE (163)
As I mix the dough I have to double my word count from that sprint in a 10 minute sprint: DONE (256)
Since I didn't quite make it which means my cookies aren't quite done and I need to write 250 words while they finish baking: DONE

^me nanoing this week

Ask a Therapist!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1162 Reviews

Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:24 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

6. Time for a technical bake. This is an unseen challenge and I have to write for 30 minutes: DONE (855)
I have to compare that word count total to how many words I wrote during the 5 minute sprint. I got more or equal than 5x the number I got from the 5 minute sprint which means I came in first!
I write 50 words to celebrate: DONE

7. Now for the showstopper. I need to make a layered cake. I have to roll two dice, that's my number of layers. I have to then write 50 words for each layer.
I rolled a 4 then a 1, so... my cake will have 41 layers. Wow! That's some cake! That also means... 2050 words. Oh. My.
918/2050

Picking up here tomorrow!

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:53 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Finishing up my showstopper! I've done 918/2050 words, so a mere 1132 to go to start out my day: DONE

8. Now I will ice my showstopper and include a decoration by completing the epic music challenge. (Not 100% sure what that is, but since I'm listening to music today anyway, I'll just write for the duration of the next piece of music on my list!): DONE

I wrote 5786 words of Dark Corners, Bright Spaces with this crawl.
AND I wrote 2071 words of the Liz+Zac reboot with this crawl.
Making my grand total: 7857 words written!

[

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:49 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

A number was chosen by fellow party-goers on a pad this morning to determine my next crawl, and it will be....

The Sleep-away Camp Crawl
(I think this was designed for Camp NaNo but I don't have time to care about things like that when I'm so behind on NaNo) :p

LET'S GO TO CAMP!

First I have to say goodbye to whoever dropped me off and sprint to 100 words: DONE

I walk up to the camp check-in center. A cheerful counselor asks for my name. I have to write the number of letters in my name x10 words. 5 letters in my real name = 50 words: DONE

Oh no! There's been a mix-up for which cabin I should be in. I have to write for 10 minutes and the amount of words I write will determine which cabin I belong in: DONE
I am in cabin 13 because I didn't write at least 400 words

Time for my health check. I have to spring for 5 minutes while they ensure make sure I'm healthy: DONE

I pass my health check and have to walk all the way across campus to my cabin so I can change into my swimsuit for a swim test. I have to write for 10 minutes as I make my way across camp: DONE

My cabin finally comes into view! It's perched on an overlook and I have to generate a number 1-9 to figure out how many flights of stairs I have to lug my suitcase up and then write 50x the number of flights. I got a 1 lol. So one flight of stairs and 50 words: DONE

My cabin mates are already there so I have to write for 15 minutes as I get to know them: DONE

It's time for my swim test. I have to write as fast as I can for 3 minutes as I dip into the cold water: DONE

Everyone passed the swim test! It's time to eat but before we can eat we have to sing a camp song. I have to write for 2 minutes while we sing: DONE

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:53 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

We get in line to grab some food. I spot the last plate of one of my favorite and I have to write for 5 minutes while I race over to get it: DONE
But I didn't write at least 200 words so I don't get the plate and have to settle for something else.

While we eat dinner it's time to sign up for electives tomorrow!
1st elective - arts and crafts, movie makeup, magic tricks, or cooking. Um movie makeup sounds fun! That'll be 200 words: DONE
2nd elective - free swim, zip line, giant swing, or ropes course. 100% zip line!!! That'll be 200 words again: DONE
3rd elective - flying squirrel rope course, trapeze, laser tag, archery. Archery! I loved doing that at camp back in the day. That'll be a 15 minute word sprint: DONE

Now that we've all picked our electives for tomorrow we can finish our dinner. Except I have to sprint for 2 minutes while I clean up everyone's dishes at my table: DONE

After dinner it's time for a campfire! I have to write 100 words while I admire all of the stars: DONE

It's sing-along time around the campfire! I have to write the length of a song. (I'm currently listening to a soundtrack so I'll round up the length of a typical song and write for 5 minutes): DONE

Now that everyone is singing, the camp director wants us to dance too! I'm supposed to take a five minute dance break. I'm taking this as a break to stand up and move which I just did by changing out the laundry :) So I'm going to skip this and keep on writing!

We're done singing and dancing and stare into the fire as I write for 15 minutes: DONE

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:23 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

We walk back up to our cabins and I prepare to go to bed by writing 250 words: DONE

As I fall asleep, a new plot bunny comes to my mind. THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED LAST NIGHT FUNNY ENOUGH. I write for 10 minutes as I drift to sleep: DONE

Done! 4080 words with this crawl!
Wow those little sprints really added up!!
L+Z currently stands at 6151 words.

As determined by a random number generator, the next crawl will be.....
The Draw 5 Challenge

The way this works - I will draw 5 cards from a deck of cards. I'll multiply the number on the card by 10, 20, 30, or 40 based on the suit. I'll add all five numbers up and write that number of words. Easy!
Aces, face cards, and jokers all have special rules that I'll get to :)
I'm going to go through the whole deck!

Draw 1:
3 of hearts (3x20 = 60), Jack of clubs (11x30 = 330), 7 of clubs (7x30 = 210), Jack of diamonds (11x40 = 440) = 1040
I also got the Black Joker so I have to roll a 6 sided die (2) and divide by the number of words I have to write, so 540 words total: DONE

Draw 2:
King of clubs (13x30 = 390), 3 of clubs (3x30 = 90), Ace of diamonds (rolled an even number on a die so it's 14x40 = 560), 7 of diamonds (7x40 = 280), Queen of diamonds (12x40 = 480)
So a total of 1800 words. OOF. Could have used that joker this round :P
792/1800
Will finish this up tomorrow!

This crawl is going to be a doozy!
Bunnies for support!

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:49 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Just over a thousand words to go from that second draw! Here we go:
DONE

Draw 3:
8 of spades (8x10 = 80), 3 of spades (3x10 = 30), 6 of spades (6x10 = 60), 5 of clubs (5x30 = 150), Queen of hearts (12x20 = 240)
For a total of 560 words: DONE

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:02 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Draw 4:
5 of spades (5x10 = 50), King of diamonds (13x40 = 520), 7 of hearts (7x20 = 140), 10 of hearts (10x20 = 200), 9 of diamonds (9x40 = 360)
For at total of 1270 words: DONE

Draw 5:
2 of clubs (2x30 = 60), 2 of diamonds (2x40 = 80), 5 of hearts (5x20 = 100), 10 of diamonds (10x40 = 400), 6 of clubs (6x30 = 180)
For a total of 820 words: DONE

I lied when I said I was doing the whole deck. I do better when I don't have to write in such big chunks. I think I've definitely captured the spirit of the crawl and can move on to another because it never said how many draws to do!

5158 words written with the draw 5 challenge! Not too shabby!

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:27 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Did some word wars last night as well so L+Z reboot currently stands at 12,399 words!

As chosen by a random number generator, it's time for the...
NaNo Academy Crawl

I have to sprint for one minute while I check my bags: DONE

Do I have everything? I catch sight of the brochure as I stuff a few last minute items in my bag and have to write for two minutes: DONE

The brochure welcomes me to the academy where I will be taking classes AND working on my novel at the same time. I have to do a five minute sprint as I drive to the academy: DONE

As I approach the academy, I have to write for 10 minutes to determine which year I am in: DONE (369) so I am in my second year.

I have to write 200 words as I arrive and get my schedule: DONE

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:34 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

I have to go to my room on the second floors and word war for 10 minutes: DONE

I decide to take a nap before running off to explore the rest of campus. But oops! I slept too long. I have to roll a die to determine how much I have to write. I rolled a 4 so I have to write 80 words: DONE

My roommate wakes me up in time for my first class the next day and I have to write 200 words as I get ready: DONE

Class 1 - Characterization
We talk about how it's important to show not tell how your characters are feeling. I have to write 600 words showing my character's emotions without using mad/sad language: DONE

Class 2 - Writing Techniques
I have to write for 10 minutes in the style of my favorite author: DONE

Class 3 - Plot Bunnies
My teacher is going on and on so I write 200 words: DONE

Pencils begin raining from the sky! Each one has a number on it. Whichever pencil I catch, I have to write that number of words (1-10,000). 5722 lol this will take a minute:
1286/5722

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:57 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Finishing up that 5722 challenge now. (This took two additional days...)
Yesterday got to 4084/5722
TODAY I WILL ACCOMPLISH THIS.
DONE

Okay now I'm in Class 4 - Ignoring your inner editor
I have to write 200 without hitting the backspace key. Every time I hit backspace I have to write 50 extra words: DONE
By my count, I hit the backspace key 8 times to that's 400 extra words: 160/400

To be finished tomorrow! :)

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:46 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Now to finish those 400 words for hitting the backspace (240 to go): DONE

Class 5 - Reaching 50k
We have to do word sprints to increase our stamina. I have to sprint to 2000: DONE

Class 6 - Gym
I have to flex my writing muscles by writing 1000 words in 12 minutes LOLLLLL. It says I have to keep trying until I succeed but is that even possible??? I mean I guess I have beat a 50 headed hydra exactly one time in my life. SO I WILL WRITE AS MANY TRASH WORDS AS I CAN IN 12 MINUTES. But I will not repeat until I succeed because that will be the rest of my life: YA'LL I WROTE LIKE THE WIND AND KEPT MY EYES MOSTLY CLOSED SO I WOULDN'T NOTICE ALL THE TYPOS AND I SOMEHOW GO 1031 WORDS. Color me shocked.
(now must fix all the typos :p)
1029 after typos.

Next the teacher scowls at me and tells me to write 5% of what I've written in this crawl so far. I've written 11,982 words already! So that's 599 words: DONE

During passing time I have to do a 10 minute word war: DONE
The person with the least words wrote 205 words, so I have to write 205 words: DONE

I'm exhausted from a busy day and go to study hall where I need to write another 1000 words: DONE
Then a 10 minute word war: DONE

I'll be finishing this crawl tomorrow!

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:18 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

I head back to my dorm and sprint 200 more words in the time it takes me to get there: DONE

Exhausted, I fall into bed and dream of writing 900 more words: DONE

I have finished NaNo academy!! Wow. It started off so easy and it was a doozy there at the end!

16,116 words written!

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:14 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

I've been saving this one for THIS EXACT WEEKEND.

The Oh God I'm So Far Behind And NaNoWriMo Ends Soon Crawl

WARM UP
1. crack your knuckles, take a deep breath, and sprint 100 words: DONE

2. stretch, then write the next two paragraphs: DONE

3. select a song from a playlist you like and write casually for the length of the song: DONE

ON YOUR MARKS, GET SET, GO
1. You never want to go all out on your first lap (this is a marathon not a sprint after all!) I have to spring for 7 minutes, 2 seconds: DONE
If you get less than 403 words, pick up the pace and write to the nearest 1000 and a half. Ope this me. I'm at 29078 right now, so the nearest 1500 is 30500 which is 1422 words away: DONE

2. I need to take a drink of water and then write 1000 words in 20 minutes: DONE

3. I fell on my race, but now I need to get up and write 500 words in 5 minutes: DONE (419, not too shabby)

4. Since I didn't quite make it, I need to walk it out for 50 words: DONE

Ask a Therapist!

He knew that elbow.
— soundofmind