z

Young Writers Society

How To Fend Off Angry Mobs Consisting of Your Own Characters

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:53 am
Emerson says...

Oh, I love Karl! (I'm going to spell his name Germanically [not a word] from now on just to bother you.)

And like I said, you should go back to the short you wrote with Sukie, which you did... There, Sukie was lively. ^_^ You can do it. You just hate female characters 'sall. It'll work out. :D And I greedily look forward to any writing you throw at me. You know I like to eat your words like sprinkles on cupcakes, or some other strange sugary metaphor.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:11 am
View Likes
Sam says...

*shameless plug*

So, I've been hacking away at The Parking Lot Sparrows for the past several days. If you really loved me, you'd read the first part and then go and read the second part.

I decided I should write a book of short stories inspired by Neutral Milk Hotel lyrics. Really, I've got three just off of "Two Headed Boy"--Crose, Memorize Another Golgotha, and The Parking Lot Sparrows. Maybe I'm just sad?

Sparrows is really weird. I think it's my favorite thing that I've writen in awhile--it's one of those things that I am extremely doubtful as to its actual literary merit, but it's terribly fun to to write. Not necessarily easy, just fun. Like playing dress up in more than eighteen POVs.

Additionally, I should just come to terms with the fact that all of my stories will feature death, feature snarky male characters, and that a high percentage of aforementioned snarky male characters will be of the homosexual persuasion. Why? It's like the Neutral Milk Hotel thing. Maybe I'm just sad.

Anyway. Go read! I'd love you forever.

- Sam
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:21 pm
Leja says...

Additionally, I should just come to terms with the fact that all of my stories will feature death, feature snarky male characters, and that a high percentage of aforementioned snarky male characters will be of the homosexual persuasion. Why? It's like the Neutral Milk Hotel thing. Maybe I'm just sad.

lol, I love those "coming to terms" moments. And maybe I'll think about reading :wink:

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:36 pm
Sam says...

I should do this in pretty list format, I suppose. Peer pressure!

HOURGLASS: After ages, I am working on Upton and David? It is really strange to be suddenly "back in action", but it's fun so I suppose I can't complain. They're all so weird. I adore them. And Adelais shows up soon, which is a comfort.

D IS FOR DIPHTHERIA: Bahhhh. Insecurity. XD I've been in a mood for depressing stories as of late, so I have a lot more things written for the ending than what really needs to be done--the beginning. Carl and Sukie have been stuck in Dairy Queen for the past two weeks. They need to bathe. Seriously.

LAZY BONES: Revived! By Cal's amazing mix-ness. It was early in November when I wrote the first draft, so it's not too terrible. I mainly need to rewrite a few paragraphs, but it's pretty cool other than that. I can get to the fun things pretty soon--it's not that long of a story.

THE PARKING LOT SPARROWS: Is not, as such, done. I'm rewriting a few of the perspectives (the Nurse, Maria, etc) and adding in a few new ones (Mrs. Next Door, the Postboy, Angela, the Sister). It's way too long to be healthy, but I love it so much! Novel-ness might be on the horizon, but at 13,000, it's kind of hard to forsee. Hmm.

MEMORIZE ANOTHER GOLGOTHA: Revived! I am thinking of sending it into a contest, but that's only if I can finish it before the fifteenth. I think I can.

THE SCRIMSHAW COMPANY PLAYERS: I want to write this. Desperately. Spring break?
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:44 pm
Emerson says...

HOURGLASS: I love Upton. And Addy. You should give me more to read!

D IS FOR DIPHTHERIA: Carl should shower. Seriously. I bet he smells. Otherwise: write something so I can read it!

LAZY BONES: I know I read the first part but honestly I forget what this is about...Which is why you should write more

THE PARKING LOT SPARROWS: You need to publish this. Send me the new version when you're done. Immediately.

MEMORIZE ANOTHER GOLGOTHA: You can do it by the fifteenth! Send it to the contest, because you will win. :)

THE SCRIMSHAW COMPANY PLAYERS: I forget what this is about, and as such, you should write it.

RESULT: You should write. Not that you aren't, but you know, you should write and show it all to me. :D
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

He knew that elbow.
— soundofmind