Young Writers Society

The Parking Lot Sparrows (1) [Edit 03/04]

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:22 am
Sam says...

[I. THE PARKING LOT SPARROWS]

We found him first.

His arms were spread like a drifting thrush, east to where the sun rises over the horizon. As Icaruss before him, he had flown too close, his sleeves tearing and melting from his blackened arms, face twisting into expressions immalleable.

Humans were not meant to fly.

[II. DANA McROBERTS]

First thing I noticed was the blood.

I thought it was tomato sauce, at first. Stan’s fault. Stan brings the shipments in from the factory in Omaha—the new Prego, Ragu. He’s the tomato sauce man. But he’s a godawful driver—crashed up against the cart corral once and it all shifted, shattering and spilling big globs of red down onto the pavement like they murdered a whole bunch of Italians and left ‘em draining.

This blood was different. It was dark and thick, like an oil spill.

Worse when you realize it’s coming from something splattered against the pavement—and you realize that something is a boy. Or what used to be a boy—an Arab boy. Trendy jeans and expensive shoes and a little glinty earring in one of his lobes. He was all smashed up, like he jumped from the top of the building and landed face down, arms all broken and curled.

His hair kind of shifted when the wind blew—real dark and glossy, in little waves that curled at the ends. Some parts of it were streaked with white. Like he’d been sweating something terrible.

If you look in the Hy-Vee Employee Manual there’s jack squat about finding dead bodies in the parking lot. Figured it would come when I went corporate, maybe. But that’s a long way away.

Figured I’d start with the police.

Took ‘em about fifteen minutes. It was just me and the kid, sitting there, together. The birds were swirling above our heads, squawking something awful. It felt weird, so I started talking to him—real normal stuff, things about Earth he might miss a little. I’m probably calling the shots early, but when I go to Heaven, I want to get little updates about my family, like the little ticker-tape at the bottom of the news channel. Ernie lost his first tooth. Lisa got her transplant. Carly’s learning to drive.

I don’t know where Arabs go, but I didn’t think a kid that young could go to Hell. You never know, though. Maybe he did something bad.

I stopped talking to him when the policeman pulled into the parking lot. He was by himself, with one of them walkie-talkies at his hip.

His knees popped when he knelt next to the boy, frowning. “We need to find his parents,” he said, after awhile.

I hadn’t thought of that. You could fit all of the Arabs in town round a table at the Olive Garden—I figured, we could just go through the phone book, pick out the foreign names, and call ‘em up. That’s not the way of the police, though, far as I know.

His radio began to crackle like static on the TV. Someone else’s voice began to speak, saying, “Some halfwit drove his car into Oak Lake.”

The police officer sighed. “You respond. I’ll be there when I can.”

He stood up, shaking his head.

It made me think a little—someone in the parking lot, someone in the lake, and a whole lot of birds swarming around our heads. Lot of strange things were happening that day.

[III. THE ATHEIST]

Somewhere between the surface of Oak Lake and the fishhooks at the bottom, I found God.

The car was halfway submerged, stuck up on its end where the level hit four feet, water lapping up the sides and spilling into the open windows. It was a Honda. A really old, crappy Honda with rust down the sides and a big dent in the passenger door.

The kid was in the front seat. When I put the tank to my lips and went under, the sunlight warbled through the water, turning it green. His hair floated behind him like little pieces of seaweed.

The headrest had snapped. It had folded in on itself, holding his neck at a position that tipped his head up so that his lips grazed above the surface of the water. Somehow, things had gone in his favor.

He should have died. He should have died within eight minutes, trapped in his car near the bottom of some square manmade lake.

But sometimes, things happen for a reason.

I broke in the window with a hammer tied in the loop around my waist. The pieces shattered and fell, slowly, uncertainly—when they collapsed in the mud, I reached my arm in through the door and pulled the latch open.

His body was limp when I pulled it out. You could still feel the hollow workings of his chest, struggling through murk for air. When I dragged him to shore, Jeremy and the guys took one look at him and shook their heads as water spilled out from his mouth like some sort of pitcher.

“Doesn’t look good, Mark.”

I took off my gloves and pressed two fingers against the side of his throat. The pulse was still there. It was wet, and his skin was cold, but he had a pulse. Submerged for more than three hours, and he had a pulse. I looked at him reverently, like some sort of holy relic.

It was almost impossible.

They wheeled him off in a gurney into the back of an ambulance. I followed behind in the EMT van, lights whirring, sirens blaring. And in dirt smears coating the back door of the ambulance in front of me, I swore I could see Jesus Christ.

[IV. THE INTERN]

I was new.

I got there the day before, actually. You’d think they’d know that things get kind of in a crunch when accidents start happening—get me crash boards, get me a transfusion, get me a coffee.

There were two traffic accidents, the Oak Lake kid, and a heart attack. They shoved me into the corner with the kid and a pair of scissors and say, “Keep him alive.”

He was unconscious, lashed down to a gurney with tubes in his mouth. His lips were blue, skin corpse-grey.

And I was thinking, Just how the Hell do I do that?

[V. THE NURSE]

Okay, I get it. Curiosity killed the cat.

I just had to see the Oak Lake kid. It had been a morning of ear infections and broken bones— nothing really good, like someone driving their car into a lake. Who does that? Really screwed up people, that’s who. And I’ve got to tell you—I’m a reality TV junkie. Rock of Love, The Amazing Race, Fear Factor. I love screwed up people. It’s what gets me going in the morning when I don’t want to put needles in sobbing childrens’ skin.

I had a half hour for lunch so I figured I would just take a peek. So I walked up to the door with the papers for Stark, Benjamin Thomas in the little slot. He was still pretty bad—not ICU bad, but bad enough to have wires running all over his body and from his ears and mouth. I couldn't tell if he was sleeping or not—his eyes kept fluttering open, up to the TV screen. I think Oprah was on. I could hear her voice, but the set was tipped away from me.

I squinted my eyes a little. His eyelids came apart and stayed like that for a few seconds, then fell back into place.

He was all pale and skinny, with a mass of rope bracelets around his left wrist that one of the interns, in a coffee haze, had forgotten to cut off. His hair was a disaster, with dried flecks of who-knew-what from the lake embedded in clumps of blonde. I had a brush in my purse. People would probably be coming to visit him soon: parents, girlfriend, that sort of thing. It always makes mothers hysterical to see their baby boys broken and dirty.

I looked to see if anyone was coming down the hallway. They weren't.

I opened the door and stepped in. The room smelled overpoweringly of disinfectant and lake water—the kind that makes your eyes water a little. His eyes didn’t open when I walked past him into the bathroom and turned on the tap.

I drenched a paper towel with water and sat in the chair at his bedside, touching his arm gently to make sure I didn’t startle him. The water made his hair dark and thick.

I guess it’s strange that I got all maternal over some kid that I didn’t know. But I felt happy sitting there, pulling rotten pieces of cattails from his head—like I had more purpose in life than shoving thermometers in fevered mouths. The comb had wide teeth and pulled apart his hair into miniature rows of blonde, which slicked over like some kind of fifties prep-school boy and sat back, watching him breathe through chapped lips.

Oprah had just welcomed a man with a brain tumor onto the show when Stark’s eyes opened. He frowned and began to pull at the tube in his mouth, at the IV in his hand.

Let’s put this bluntly: I freaked. I lunged forward and pulled his hand away from his mouth, tried to keep them pressed against the mattress. I felt something warm and wet against my palm.

I pulled away to find a splash of red dripping down my wrist.

He had yanked out his IV, leaving a stream of blood pooling out from the back of his hand. The bed squeaked a little as he leaned back, breathing through his nose. I walked backward to watch him as I washed my hands in the sink.

We glared at each other. This kid had some nerve for being pissy after having been rescued from near death—someone by the vending machines had said he'd been underwater for three hours. Can people even do that? Probably not.

He was probably enough of an ass to keep himself afloat.

He began to rub at his throat. Stupid kid. I wrenched his hands away. "Nice try."

He shook his head. Water ran down along his jaw, dripping off onto his hospital gown like the tears he couldn't cry. I was pretty sure he was a robot—a robot that didn’t rust. With the hand that was still bleeding, he reached up into the pocket of my scrubs and pulled out a pen.

He began to scribble on his arm as I went to the cupboard for a Band-Aid and some crème. As long as it kept him occupied, it was all right with me.

I spread Neosporin over the back of his hand with a Q-Tip and flattened the bandage against his skin. He was writing with his other hand on the dry part of his forearm.

Where am I?

“Saint E’s. Lincoln.”

I moved to the other side of the bed dragging his IV around the back. I scrubbed it with disinfectant and held it over his hand. He looked at me. “I’ve got to put it in somewhere, man.”

He held up a finger. So I’m not dead?

“Nah. Sorry.”

A lot of people cry when I shove things into their veins. But none looked so miserable as Benjamin Thomas Stark.

[VI. THE NOBODY]

Want to hear something weird?

So, I was in study hall, and then the Toad Woman, administrator and mistress of darkness, comes in all sad, head low, like, “I’m supposed to act all teary but I really don’t give a shit”. She doesn’t give a shit about anything, really. It’s kind of in her job description.

I kind of sat back in my chair, arms crossed, and she’s all, “I’ve got some very sad news.”

So we all just kind of sit there, and it’s really boring, but I look at Dana, like maybe this’ll be cool, you know? And she says, “We regret to inform you that Karim Malik, a junior, was found dead this morning in the Hy-Vee parking lot on North 27th.”

I’m sitting there, like, You fucking kidding me? But she wasn’t. She was totally serious. “Benjamin Stark, a junior, attempted suicide over the weekend.”

Yeah, so I kind of knew Karim—how many Iranians you got in Nebraska? —but this Stark dude…I didn’t know him. Like, I probably saw him, but I didn’t know him, and before he committed suicide or whatever, I wouldn’t have cared.

“Grief counselors are available in the media center for those who wish to talk about their feelings.”

Damn. I didn’t want to talk about my feelings. I wanted to know who did ‘em in. But that’s something that’s confidential. The good stuff’s always confidential.

But in the back of my head, I was kind of thinking, if I died, would anyone notice?

And on account of how my life’s pretty much shit, I don’t know. I don’t know what happened to Karim. I don’t know the Stark dude, period.

Maybe if I died in a parking lot, someone would care.

[VII. TIFFANY ROCHESTER]

I am going to marry Benjamin Thomas Stark.

I see him every morning by his locker, standing there with his books balanced on his hip, other hand twisting the lock—his combination is 34-15-14. I know it. I got it from Melissa who keeps her death metal CDs in there because her parents would kill her if they knew about them.

Anyway.

We were supposed to be a trumpet duet. Did I mention he is a godlike trumpet player? He is. He can play a gazillion octaves and has the most beautiful tone. I decided I would marry him back in fifth grade when we were taking lessons together. Watching him play a solo was like watching something heavenly—even in fifth grade, I realized that this was a gorgeous, talented, smart, beautiful, funny, amazing, gorgeous guy.

Anyway.

When I heard the announcement in Biology, I was going to cry, but then I realized that there was only one thing I could do. And that was to comfort him in his time of need. Because clearly, people who try to commit suicide are needy. My husband cannot be needy. He must be perfect, like normal, pre-death Benjamin Thomas Stark—like the god I know he is. Visiting him in the hospital, with chocolates and flowers and a cute teddy bear, whilst he reclined, eyes tired and halfway closed. He would groan in a sick-person way and I would sit next to him, crying a little bit (but not too much), and brushing his hair away from his forehead.

So I left. I’ve never skipped school before but I skipped school that day—I simply walked out, got into my car, and drove to the hospital.

The woman at the front desk was nice-looking. I smiled. “Can I please see Mr. Benjamin Thomas Stark?”

She typed his heavenly name into the computer and frowned. “And who are you?”

“Mrs. Benjamin Thomas Stark.”

“Nice try.”

I actually did cry. I cried out the name of my lover, and hoped that he would hear me.

__

I thought I'd do something odd and completely out of my comfort zone--and as such, I'm not exactly sure how effective it is. Any critique regarding style, or flow, or feeling would be amazing.

Oh, and regarding my complete and utter inability to finish stories: I already finished this one, so we'll see. :wink:
Last edited by Sam on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:21 pm
.White.Poem. says...

So, here's my first review on YWS.. ^-^

I really liked this story, in fact I'm a very shy person and haven't reviewed any other stories yet because of that, but I just had to review this. However, there were two little things that kind of bugged me.

The first one of these is right in the second paragraph:

As Daedalus before him, he had flown too close, his sleeves tearing and melting from his blackened arms, face twisting into expressions immalleable.

I do believe it was Icarus, Daedalus' son who got his wings burned by the sun. Also, just a curious question, what does immaleable mean? I looked it up in the dictionary but I couldn't find the word. :)

The second thing that bothered me somewhat was the end. Is this the end of the story or did you mean you still had more to come? If so, I'd love to read it!

The story itself is interesting, but I'm not really certain about the way it will go/was supposed to go. As stated above, I couldn't really make out whether or not this really was the end. ^-^"

Now, as for the rest of the story. I really liked the way you switched the point of view every time. It kept the story 'fresh' to read, if that makes any sense. I found it fun to see how different all the characters were, you did a good job at that.

It was nice to read. :)

I hope this was of any help.. ^-~

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:23 pm
Aedomir says...

Heya!

It was Icarus who went too close to the sun, as Poem menntioned.

Immalleable is spelt like that isn't it? 2 L's

Anyway, overall, I liked this story and counldn't find any obvious problems, other than that I have already touched on.

Keep writing!

~D'Aedomir~
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:09 pm
Emerson says...

I wasn't the first one to critique it... This makes life slightly less worth living for. But life is all the more worth living for getting to read something Sam wrote! So, onto the enjoyment.

I knelt down next to the body, the woman who’d called me standing by the cart corral and smoking.
Those nasty -ings that I'm campaigning against. Make "the woman..." its own sentence, bitte.

The car was submerged half of the way,
"half of the way" sounds kind of gritty. I love your use of dialects, but here I just can't understand. It's one of those I know what you're trying to say but you aren't saying it right kinds of things.

the sunlight [s]shining[/s] warbled through the water
? "shining" isn't a noun [or even a gerund] so cutting it would make more sense and just saying "sunlight", unless you insist, in which case, grammar is bowing down to you.

I usually leave my comments to the end, but I just finished IV. THE ATHEIST, and...Do you realize how beautiful that is? I'll say just that.

You’d think they’d know that. But things get kind of in a crunch when accidents start happening—get me crash boards, get me a transfusion, get me a coffee.
you could continue the sentence at "that" and just say "know that but things get...." and it works. I just don't like the sudden stop, when in speaking, there is not stop.

You fuck me?
*giggles* You do mean "you fucking [kidding] me?" Or...?

I’ve never been truant from school before but I was truant in school that day
I don't think the word "truant" is a part of Tiffany Rochester's vocabulary? ... possibly. She doesn't seem like that kind of person, though.

SAM I LOVE YOU WITH ALL OF MY SOUL AND BEING! But I also hate you. Why are you so magnificent?

Cast away your doubts--at the least, I love this, and command for more, now. This was amazing. The first person is without any problems, and is so perfect, effortless. The accents come out, you can see the people, what they're like. The characterization is amazing, the flow of everything...This is amazing, that's really all I can say. I didn't want to finish it, I wanted to read it slow, but I wanted to read it fast to enjoy it, but slow because I knew it would end and then I wouldn't have anymore of it to read. I have no complaints--not one. This was amazing, and I don't care what you think, this was amazing. Just... give me more before I die without something you've written, haha, this trip will kill me simply for lack of something written by you...

I can't say anymore without hurling compliments and kind words at you. I loved your alliterations, your word choice, the transitions, the styles, the POVs. This was beyond, beyond, beyond beautiful. Again, you've shown me that you write with your own style. This is solely you; I don't see anyone else's influence [or at least, style and way] in it.

Bravo. Now go write some more.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

1258 Reviews

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:07 pm
Sam says...

.White.Poem.- Welcome to YWS! Of course it helped. ^_^ Thanks for the review--and this is only the first part. There'll be at least two more.

Aedomir- *hides from English teacher* Mixing up Icaruss and Daedalus...oh, woe. Thanks for catching that.

Suzanne- I owe you my soul. And my grammar.

- Demetri Martin

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:58 pm
Leja says...

So basically? I lurveee how this is divided into sections. It's this nice mix of viewpoints and the added bonus of actually advancing the actions, which all too many multiple-viewpoint stories fail to address ^^

I especially like how the sparrows' way of seeing is, at first, indistinguishable from that of a human's. It has a lovely tone.

I thought, “Maybe it’s just Stan again”. ‘Cause Stan brings in the shipments from the factory in Omaha—the new tomato sauce. He’s the tomato sauce man. But he’s a godawful driver—crashed up against the cart corral once and it all shifted, shattering and spilling big globs of red down onto the pavement like they murdered a whole bunch of Italians and left ‘em draining.

I think this part could be a little more seamless. While reading, I was wondering "why do I need to know this?" Dana McRoberts has an interesting way of speaking, and an interesting way of seeing things, but... I don't know. Actually, I think I lost my point somewhere there...

Second thing I noticed was the smell. It was something terrible—I can’t describe it. It was just too bad for words.

I want to say "cop out!" but it almost seems to fit with Dana's character... however, I don't know if this is something that can be done when she has such little 'screentime'. Even if she couldn't form an intellectual reaction, what was her physical reaction? She might have gagged, fainted, etc. But she doesn't seem too bothered by this when noticing how his hair moves? I mean, I like that she notices things like this; it tells about her character as well as the overall plot, but the two things can happen at once ^_^

Things like this happen to people deep in the city, deep into drugs, deep into debt.

I didn't like the list here. But that might just be me.

Finding his parents wasn’t going to be a problem. He was olive skin, dark hair—you could fit every Arab in Lincoln at a table in Olive Garden.

Skip the "olive skin, dark hair" and jump right from "problem" to "you could fit every Arab..." because the second part renders the first obsolete.

The Atheist's thought process was well-done, but the technical things he did sounded almost contrived. Almost too technical and detached? Like there's one Atheist's voice for talking about how he thought about the kid and one Atheist's voice for how he thought about the medical aspects of things. I think this stems from [complete action][complete action] structure, like in the first part of this section "The car was halfway submerged..." "It was a Honda"... "the kid was in the front seat" "The headrest had snapped"... "He should have died" etc.

He was unconscious, lashed down to a gurney with tubes in his mouth. His lips were blue, skin corpse-grey.

Same with the intern; it becomes in places all action and no description almost.

You fuck me?

This sounds... foreign. Maybe something like "don't fuck with me" or "are you shitting me?" or "are you fucking kidding me?" would sound more... indigenous.

lol, I like Tiffany Rochester's point of view. I couldn't take a whole story in solely her voice, but it's nice to have her chime in ^_^

By the end, I have absolutely no idea where this is going. There doesn't seem to be a conflict to continue or a problem to solve, but rather it seems self-contained. Which could be good or bad. Depending on what the rest is like. And you've already finished, have you? Congratulations ^_^ That's always been my problem too.

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:52 am
Joeducktape says...

Sam! Yay for new, unexpected Samness. It was a wonderful birthday present, but I don't have much to crit, since the bases have pretty much been covered by Poem, Aedomir, Suz, and Leja. But since it's you, I'll try.

(I'm going section by section, 1st read, then second read.

[I. THE PARKING LOT SPARROWS]

1st Read:

Really lovely. I usually expect something quirky and humorous from you at the open, but this was very pretty. Also, liked the short-long-short set up.

2nd Read:

Overall, I'm left wondering where this comes from. The collective minds of the characters? One character? A detached and observing omniscient? Don't get me wrong, it's nice, but where does it come from?
Also, I'd like to hear from you (though I already have my own ideas) what the purpose of this paragraph is.

Sam wrote:east to where the sun rises over the horizon

I think you can shorten this and keep it pretty.

[II. DANA McROBERTS]

1st Read:

Sam wrote:But he’s a godawful driver—crashed up against the cart corral once and it all shifted, shattering and spilling big globs of red down onto the pavement like they murdered a whole bunch of Italians and left ‘em draining.

Ahaha. :wink:

Sam wrote:It was just too bad for words.

I have to agree with Leja here. It feels a bit lazy. Maybe it was too bad for words, but as she said, some physical description would be a good replacement.

Sam wrote:Some parts of it were streaked with white. Like he’d been sweating something terrible.

Maybe this is just me, but I didn't really understand this bit.

2nd Read:

Sam wrote:He’s the tomato sauce man. But he’s a godawful driver—crashed up against the cart corral once and it all shifted, shattering and spilling big globs of red down onto the pavement like they murdered a whole bunch of Italians and left ‘em draining.

Coming back to this quote, look at the bolded part. Now, this is super nitpicky, but when I think tomato sauce, I think cans. And other people think of bottles. I almost wanted it to say that they busted or something similar. Of course, to you they're glass. This one's more of a comment than a criticism.

[/ramble]

Sam wrote:Worse when you realize it’s coming from something splattered against the pavement—and you realize that something is a boy.

This one is also pretty picky, and probably a "just me" thing, but I'll put it in anyway. I almost feel like the emphasis should be on "from" instead of "something".

*shrugs*

(PS. Due to the repetitious content of this crit, I'm going to stop putting in how I'm nitpicky. You already know that.)

[III. THE OFFICER]

1st Read:

Nothing really bothered me about this one. The officer is pretty dry, but that fits him, I suppose.

2nd Read:

Sam wrote:He’d been hit, bad.

Hmm. I almost feel like you either need to remove the comma or add a conjunction.

Sam wrote:“Some halfwit drove his car into Oak Lake. I’ll take care of it for now. Respond when you can.”

I would need a second opinion, but should this perhaps be a new paragraph for clarity's sake?

[IV. THE ATHEIST]

1st Read:

I felt like your description of him removing Benjamin was a little murky. I couldn't quite follow it at first. Perhaps a little adjustment is in order?

Sam wrote:And in dirt smears coating the back door of the ambulance in front of me, I swore I could see Jesus Christ.

One thing about this part is that I could picture this scene vividly. And I don't know why but I adore this sentence. He just feels so real. This whole section was brilliant, really. My favorite of the whole piece.

Sam, you give me chills. Stop being talented. :D

(I couldn't find anything on my second read. See above comment.)

[V. THE INTERN]

1st/2nd Read:

My thoughts on The Intern: Short and sweet. And that's perfect. While this section is significantly smaller than the others, it still contributes, I still get a feel for the character-- I was very impressed. You did a lot with a little. That's some nice writing.

[VI. THE NOBODY]

1st Read:

I quite like the voice in this section. It's very disctinct. Very teenage. (Honestly, I pretty much sound like a mix between this girl and Tiffany when I speak, only I have a bizarre-o vocabulary. :? ) This girl felt very real, and her own thoughts and feelings sort of drew the focus away from Benjamin and Karim and toward her. I'm not sure if I like that or not. Nevertheless, it worked.

Sam wrote:You fuck me?

Because that sounds very wrong out of context and kind of odd in context. I don't think I've ever heard anyone use that expression that way. :wink:

Sam wrote:I don’t know the Stark dude, period.

Ah, comma drama. Should it be there? Should it not? IDK, my BFF Jill?

[VII. TIFFANY ROCHESTER]

1st Read:

This girl scares me a little. She's like a little stalkerlette. :lol:

This does draw up images of a girl I know who is obsessed with finding her true love, and thinks that it must happen in high school, and her knight in shining armor can be none other than Johnny Handsomeface. There is no one else.

Sam wrote:Anyway.

Which you use twice. And I love, because [Haley Trivia Time!] I start most of my thoughts with anyway whether I have digressed or not. So this was a fun character trait for me to read.

2nd Read:

Sam wrote:“Mrs. Benjamin Thomas Stark.”

*snorts*

Sam wrote:I’ve never been truant from school before but I was truant in school that day—I simply walked out, got into my car, and drove to the hospital.

This girl uses the word "truant"?

[VIII. THE NURSE]

1st Read:

I really liked the ending. That is all.

2nd Read:

Compared to all the other characters, we don't see many distinct traits in the nurse. Not yet anyway. I felt like she was a little flat, like a temporary observer.

OVERALL:

*applause*

Unexpected and lovely (of course). I'm interested to see where you take this, and how the viewpoint set up progresses.

Much love,

Haley

PS. Lyke, OMG!!1 That was long, eh?
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

1258 Reviews

Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:13 pm
Sam says...

Oh, goodness! *tackles with love* You're amazing, Haley.

I'm trying to find a way to define the sparrows--I have a really symbolic paragraph later on, but that's much later, and it's difficult to do. Would it be helpful if it were in the "we" voice more consistently?

But, *glee*. Truly. I owe you guys so much. ^_^

- Demetri Martin

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:28 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

*drools over the lovely story*

eveyrone else pretty much got all the grammatical stuff, but I had to review anyway.

My favorite perspectives: the sparrows, the nurse, and the intern. I loved how you put the sparrows first and gave them such a poetic voice. It was beautiful.

I would comment on your grammar in Dana's POV, but I think you did that on purpose, so I'll just leave it alone.

You're FOURTEEN???
*kicks the wall in utter frustration*
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:43 pm
Muse says...

Yeah, you're like...mindblowingly good for your age. You're mindblowingly good for MY age. Seriously though, you are by far one of the best writers on this site and i can only hope you get published one day. *praises*
"Sometimes we see a cloud that's dragonish,
A vapour sometimes like a bear or lion,
A towered citadel, a pendant rock,
A forked mountain, or blue promontory,
With trees upon't that nod unto the world,And mock our eyes with air.."

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:09 am
Areida says...

*babbles* *runs around in circles*

SAMBO! *tacklehugs*

OMG, seriously. I can't even critique this. Thankfully others have gotten to it for me, because I think you sucked every little bit of articulate-ness out of the air around me just now and took it all for yourself to put into this piece.

I love this.

You did a really, really good job of defining each character's voice, and even though I half-expected one of the characters to pop up again, I wasn't confused when they didn't. I was nervous at first about the format, but you somehow made it work (and gorgeously, of course. Gah.). It was all very appropriate too. It was nauseating, hilarious, and gut-wrenching in exactly the right places.

Needless to say, I am beyond impressed. LOVE this story.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:34 am
roxythekiller says...

This cursed log-in system ate my review!
Well, first off. The opening paragraph drew me in. The comparison to Icaruss gave your story a surreal, "dark fariy tale" quality. I thought the oil and blood comparison was interesting, since blood has been spilled over oil despite the fact that both are valuable. Oil, on the other hand, is not the essence of life. McRoberts doesn't seem to grasp this concept, and as a character she's eerily detached. Not only was the the racist remark about Italians (which works so well considering the race tensions between Irish and Italian immigrants in American history) inappropriate on her part, but her callous reference to the boy's clothing and the fact that there was nothing about this in the manual was downright callous.
I felt more sympathy for the police officer. Although his remarks and tone convey detachment, it seems to me that he's trying to keep himself from becoming emotionally involved rather than just not being emotional in the first place.
The atheist was the most interesting character to me, since she (he?) had the most realistic emotional involvement in relation to Stark's death. Tiffany, on the other hand, came off as a boring character despite her emotional involvement. It seems her life revolved around Stark, and that makes her existance a little unrealistic to me (unless she's a stalker!) It might just be me, but I never heard a girl refer to any guy as a God unless it was part of a teen movie. I don't know where you're going with this character, but I couldn't warm up to her (so far XD!)
The Nobody was also realistic, yet I dislike them. However, this character fulfills a vital role your story, and provides an important point of view on Stark's death. You've managed to create a very real (and very dislikable) personality. Good job, and I mean it--- most people wouldn't touch such characters!
I don't have anything to say about the intern except that I felt bad for them, and I don't know why, but I like the nurse.
Eeek... My battery is running low. Must finish this review!
This story is awesome. Much better than anything I could write! I loved the imagery, the varying syntax, and the effort you put into creating your characters.
PLEASE UPDATE OFTEN ^_^!!

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:02 pm
Kylan says...

Incredible, Sam dear. I wish there was more. I wish there were pages and pages and pages more of these delicious words. Teach me. Teach me everything you know.

Please?

I can't really comment on much, since this stands on it's own, practically ready for publishing as is. I found it interesting you decided to use first person perspectives in each section. And you pulled it off well, too. I was particularly intrigued by the way you managed to entwine dialect into the inner dialogue of each of these characters. The Intern, the atheist, the nobody - all of the characters, for that matter - were pristine. Their personalities were apparent immediately.

However, watch out for your island-hopping (consult WD for more information). Jumping from character to character too often could result in a fractured story-line and incomplete characters. You can easily stray off the path of coherency if you continue to fly to a new character every five or six paragraphs. Literary whiplash, I believe they call it ( :wink: ). I have full confidence in your style and your capability, though, and I'm sure you can pull this baby off seamlessly. Just a warning.

Also, I noticed you began each new section with a single-lined paragraph. I think it's great - a true sign of your unique style - but I hope you remain consistant with it. Otherwise this kind of format could get old quickly.

So yeah. I don't really think that the way you've structured this piece justifies making it into a novel. Because of it's non-traditional and experimental format, I would suggest you sticking in the thirty-forty thousand word bracket. Either that, or keep it as a short story.

The room smelled overpoweringly of disinfectant and lake water

How does lake water smell. To my knowledge, it doesn't have any particular - or strong - odor at all.

Anyway, I'll get to the next few chaps soon. Thanks for the brilliant read.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:58 pm
Wolf says...

*claps for... a week*

That was so... incredible, Sam! Really refreshing and well-written, enviably so. I'm afraid that this critique won't be too helpful, but I'll try...

Some points for your consideration:

I. I think someone -- Kylan? -- already mentioned this, but there's definitely a lot of characters' POVs here. I think it's fine now, but it might be distracting in chapters when there isn't as much action (like two kids being found, one dead and one barely alive). On the other hand, it does add a nice note of suspense...

Just a question: are you going to include everyone's POV in every chapter?

II. Some little nit-picky/personal preference things.

Some parts of it were streaked with white. Like he’d been sweating something terrible.

I don't understand this... why would his hair be white if he were sweating? I don't think it's a bad sentence -- on the contrary -- but I just don't understand what it means.
Also, you might consider joining these two sentences together? I think it sounds kind of awkward now... maybe that adds characterization, but I think it'd flow better if it was: Some parts of it were streaked with white, like he'd been sweating something terrible.

His hair floated behind him like little pieces of seaweed.

*personal preference alert*

'little pieces' kind of bothers me. :P It seems like 'little pieces' would mean that some of his hair had been cut off, or something of the like. You might try: His hair floated behind him like thin strands of seaweed.

The comb had wide teeth and pulled apart his hair into miniature rows of blonde, which slicked over like some kind of fifties prep-school boy and sat back, watching him breathe through chapped lips.

This sentence seems a little garbled... read through it again and I'm sure you'll get what I mean. You might try to re-word it: The comb had wide teeth and pulled apart his hair into miniature rows of blonde, which slicked over like some kind of fifties prep-school boy. I sat back, watching him breathe through chapped lips.

* maybe I was wrong about that... you could've meant that the slicked-back hair was watching him breathe? I dunno.

The woman at the front desk was nice-looking. I smiled.

How, exactly, is she nice-looking, and how is this relevant? Did it make Tifanny feel more comfortable talking to her, or what? Just something to consider. ^^

III. You wanted opinions on feeling...
I really don't have anything negative to say. Each and every character is extremely well-developed, with a unique personality and voice. This, coupled with a complex and intriguing prose style, gives the piece a thoroughly completed feel.

This is very non-cliché; just reading it makes me feel very refreshed. It has a sophisticated, complex plot and I love it! I love it to death!

The only thing I can suggest is more sensual description. What you have now is mostly visual imagery; I think you could benefit from using the other four senses as well. With your talent, though, I'm sure this'll be cake. :)

Overall, a definite 9.5/10. I'm definitely riveted and I'll be going to read the next part ASAP!

Cheers,
Camille xx
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:53 pm
KJ says...

Sorry to be so unhelpful - I liked it a ton.

Very well-written, creative, and excellent in practically every way. So sorry.

Some twenty years from now, users will ask a similar question about world famous Chicken poetry and Google will tell them about alliyah.
— Hkumar