z

Young Writers Society

Suzanne's Writerly Rambles [4 March 2008]

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:58 pm
Emerson says...

UPDATE 7/21/07

Speakeasy - It's getting written, if not slowly. So many people are on the other end, demanding it be written, that I don't think I can quit.

NaNoWriMo Project - This is the real reason I'm updating. I got restless, I'm going to start working on this soon. It's a memoir, so it will be, ah, wilder than fiction? I haven't a clue how to go about doing this. I also think it needs a title. I had liked Don't Panic though it is so Douglas Adams, I couldn't. I want it to have a title. After a while of talking with Dreamy, and getting myself prepared for this and over the fear of honesty, I think I can do it. It will be rather scattered, and rant filled, but aren't memoirs like that...? Finding a place to start seems to be the challenge, for now. We'll work something out of it.

I'm not sure how I will share it. I might email it to some people here or there, perhaps give it a live journal. If I was going to publish a book, this would probably be it.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:04 pm
Dream Deep says...

Till wrote:Speakeasy - It's getting written, if not slowly. So many people are on the other end, demanding it be written, that I don't think I can quit.

Welcome to the club. o.o

And yes, the memoir - though its going to be hard and a bit messy in places, I think - is overall going to brilliant.

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:08 pm
Writersdomain says...

Speakeasy - It's getting written, if not slowly. So many people are on the other end, demanding it be written, that I don't think I can quit.

*pokes* That's right. I have faith in you. ^_^

Don't Panic sounds brilliant from what I've seen you say about it. Wunderbar. If you ever need a pair of eyes for anything you wish to share, would be delighted to help in any way I can. :wink:
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

2058 Reviews

Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:09 pm
Emerson says...

Ah, brilliant? Maybe. :P

Well, because I wanted to start with a poem, Dreamy demanded Black Water. Now, I want to start each section with a quote or poem. And It has a title! Black Water will be the name of my memoir. I'll have to somehow make that a theme otherwise it will seem kind of useless...
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

2058 Reviews

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:11 am
Emerson says...

UPDATE 8/28/2007

Módlmy Się - Still in publishing purgatory. I did some calculations, I should get a rejection letter no later than December. (Being a cynical will make the acceptance all the better. ^_~)

Speakeasy - Very dead! Do not ask. This might be recycled eventually, characters may be recycled. I loved it, but it failed, so we are stashing it and all the ideas for a later time.

Avoir L'espoir - This was going to be my NaNoWriMo Novel but due to impatience, I've already started it. Hoping to write it in a month or so. A very cynical romance novel set in 19th century Russian.

Possible NaNoWriMo - I get vague ideas for beginning scenes at times, and one caught my eye. Death Machine--though probably in German--would be about a Nazi. I'll leave it at that, because honestly, that is all I have. ;-)

I might be doing a mailing list for Avoir L'espoir but I don't think so. Dreamy is already on it, by requirement. If I get enough pleas, I'll post it somewhere once I am done, otherwise, you'll have to ask very nicely.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:15 am
Leja says...

►Avoir L'espoir - This was going to be my NaNoWriMo Novel but due to impatience, I've already started it. Hoping to write it in a month or so. A very cynical romance novel set in 19th century Russian.

ooh! Sounds terribly interesting *pokes* you must post it somewhere!

2058 Reviews

Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:12 am
Emerson says...

UPDATE: A REJECTION LETTER

I received a rejection letter! Not the one I had been waiting for, but one I, rather, forgot existed. At the least, they rejected me? I sent it to the other magazine as well....

Dear Ms Myszkowski,
I'm going to decline . . . "Modlmy sie." The Polish shouldn't have been a problem, although you did manage to create one with it. The basic problem was the lack of tension in the story. There was a certain degree of realism in the interactions of the crew, which helped immensely, but there was no sense of wondering what was going to happen next. There were shadows, true, but no sense of danger, of peril. Without that, this story becomes a narrative, nothing more.
The problem with the Polish was the unnecessary creation of one. There was nothing in this story to suggest that this was a particularly Polish voyage. You might have chosen Bulgarian or Ossetian or Malawi, as well. [Yes, you're of Polish extraction, or your husband is...I got that bit]. So what you've done is inflict some difficult words on an unsuspecting readership. If you're going to do that, choose some simpler names. Dybski, for example. Or you could choose something on the order of Andrzejewski [as I did in one of my novels] and refer to him by his nickname, Andy. That way you don't clutter up the reader's mind with difficult consonant clusters. The repartee with the pronunciation of your protagonist's first name also doesn't work. It has nothing to do with the story, or even with your character development. It's just...there. It has no purpose.
As for using Polish phrases here and there, like seasoning, that often works better. It allows the flavor to seep in without requiring the reader to be a translator. Little bits like "na zdrowie" or "nie wiem" are useful...in moderation. But use them in context, as you did with the drinking. Or, frex: "Nie wiem," said Andy, and shrugged. "I don't know."
Regards, and do try us again,
Tyree Campbell
Managing Editor
Sam's Dot Publishing

Eh, so. This was the magazine with the high acceptance rate. My story has problems. Oy, so, rejection again. Self esteem still high, but lethargy is also high. How depressing is this? Of course, it isn't my skills as a writer, but rather the story. Understandably. Still, depressing, no?

It can only forebode that the next reply received will also be a rejection letter--devil take them.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:57 am
Wiggy says...

You are SO not getting rejected. You're too good for that! *huggles*

Hey, tough luck, but rejection has to happen for you to learn, right? So, just polish up the story, send if off to another magazine, and voila! You'll be published. :D

And post your novel!!!!! Or you must show me. Or else I will come over to your house and steal it. :P

Wigs ;)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:13 am
Firestarter says...

Don't get depressed about rejection, it's never worth it.

At least he gave you some worthy advice, I think it would do you good to remember it =) Often it's just a rejection and nothing else.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:45 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

Think of it this way, every rejection slip brings your acceptance closer. And rejection prooves you're doing something. That's what I tell myself when I'm rejected.
I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I think that was a good letter to get. It prooves they've read it thoroughly, and now you have something to work with. The ones I get are just the "unfortunately, we cannot print your piece this time blah blah blah." Not in any way helpful, and it also looks like they don't really care, and gives you nothing to work with.
Now you know what they want, and you can work on polishing it up for them.
From what I've read of you, you really are very talented, so you will get there, I'm sure of it. Just keep writing and editing, and think about how good it will feel when they accept your piece. The rejection is sure to make it all the sweeter.
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

2058 Reviews

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:32 pm
Emerson says...

UPDATE 26 SEPTEMBER 2007

Módlmy Się - Oh, you know? I have a third [rejection] letter floating around somewhere. Hah, it's just one I haven't received yet.

Speakeasy - In case you missed it, this is dead.

L'Avoir Espoir - This, on the other hand, isn't dead. It's... delayed shall we say? My mind has been fully taken over by the prospects of NaNoWriMo. But I do not reject this idea! I still like it a whole lot. So, all you fans *cough*Melja, only, hahha *cough* Don't worry! I will eventually get around to writing this. :) No point giving up on it, it had no problems, I just lost interest very quickly, because WWII is fun like that.

Death Machine - Research is almost entirely over. I keep forgetting to go find primary source documents from the time period, so I might do that tonight. October for outlining, then November for the scary writing. Hehe. It will be fun, I am sure. I am currently using my Writing Eljay to record my happenings with this novel, so if you want more on it, check there.

Otherwise? Nothing. I'm rather lackadaisical with writing. :p School is taking me over. Eh.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:43 pm
Leja says...

*waves pompoms for L'Avoir Espoir*

Good luck with your other writing endeavors ^_^

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:51 am
Wiggy says...

AAHHH!

I need to see this Avoir story, Suzenka.

Or else...well, I don't know what else. But I shall surely do something! *strikes ridiculous pose*
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:21 am
Snoink says...

Claudette wrote:Otherwise? Nothing. I'm rather lackadaisical with writing. :p School is taking me over. Eh.

And yet, she still wins the critiques contest. Guh! My evil plan is not working!

:P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2058 Reviews

Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:19 am
Emerson says...

:p nice snoink.

Yes, I still win because despite my resistance to the computer...! I still find the time to run through poetry. Like, today we have a half day! So I critique today...

heh

Mary> I don't have very much of it? But I can send you what I do have.

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
— Marcel Proust