z

Young Writers Society

Suzanne's Writerly Rambles [4 March 2008]

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu May 17, 2007 11:48 pm
Poor Imp says...

Impressions, without too much of impish, are still pending. Studying, revision - al that taking time. ^_^ But now you post something new. Ah well. Eventually.

Any more of the theatrical piece I might look at before I type thoughts and such to send them off to you?

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Fri May 18, 2007 1:34 am
Writersdomain says...

I love reading short stories. :wink: Nevertheless, I would urge you to be careful in putting Secrets off for a few years. Without nurturing, ideas and enthusiasm easily die.

I'll take a look at your short story when I have more time. Keep writing, hon!
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:02 am
Emerson says...

UPDATE 6/12/07

So, short stories. Yeah. I'm pretending I never wrote Deep in Mud so I don't have to edit it xD I'm absolutely horrified over how I need to fix that, and for those of you who don't know me, editing scares me... and not like, minor edits or thing, I'm actually good at editing. But with sometimes, no no no no, I can't!

I went back to novels (w00!) because I thought: how did I manage to finish in November? Outline! So, I decided to outline Theater story and To Keep no Secrets. (Theater story needs a title...) I read over some of Secrets and...wow. That was bad, guys, bad. I was like a watered down Nabokov imitation, ew. It was terrible! I read over theater story--sure, the writing wasn't good, but at least my characters (most of them) are good. I had a redeeming quality.

So I'm currently outlining that. I have officially [amazingly] put Secrets aside. Permanently, more likely than not. It's scary--I loved it so much. But, apparently, it just doesn't "work". That's how things go.

If any one would like to help me plot theater story, I'd love you! I get stuck in places....yes. And, I need titles!

Oh, perhaps I'll post character pictures here for my characters later xD
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

2058 Reviews

Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:45 pm
Emerson says...

UPDATE 6/19/07

I just wrote the coolest short story I could have possibly ever done: Módlmy Się.

Seeing as this may turn into something really good [if it isn't already? I can't judge my own work] I'm running my fingers diligently through Duotrope's Digest to try and find somewhere I could submit it to eventually... See, I'm not as pessimistic as I make myself out to be! I still try. Also, the fact that this could reach... a wider audience makes me jump at publication. Most of my writing is more genre specific.... Fantasy is real easy because it's wide xD

My outline for Speakeasy [the novel. Did I say it had a title?] is going well, but I haven't outlined much lately, even though I know where the plot is going. I'm being distracted by other things @_@

All the updates I have!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:51 am
Sam says...

Ooh, that's much better than a simple Google search...*hugs Duotrope, whatever he is*

I do hope you get published Claudester- that would be really excellent. ^_^ Everything you're working on is so lovely, I can't imagine why they wouldn't take something of yours...
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

2058 Reviews

Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:43 am
Emerson says...

I got infected by Cali's El Jay making habit. Speakeasy has an El jay now!

SPEAKEASY: http://noveltastic.livejournal.com/

316 Reviews

Reviews: 316
Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:58 am
whence says...

I wonder if I have any fan clubs...? Do I have any 'secret' groupies? Rolling Eyes

Oh yeah, no doubt. You can find us at www.navelgazemuch?.com
The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life — and one is as good as the other.
Ernest Hemingway

2058 Reviews

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:31 am
Emerson says...

UPDATE 7/5/07

I sent Módlmy Się into two magazines today. I'm still looking for more to send into, in case I get rejected. I have found three others, all of which do not want simultaneous submissions so I'm stalled for those. If I get rejected by both [which I doubt, since one I sent it into had a high acceptance rate] then I'll send it into one of the others.

Wish me lucky.

Oh, and for the heck of it, I'm looking for poetry magazines. Which is a bit harder than fiction mags, it seems.

2058 Reviews

Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:18 pm
Emerson says...

UPDATE 7/7/07

I just got my reply from Shimmer. I'm actually no that depressed!

Lisa of Shimmer wrote:Thank you for allowing us to consider "Módlmy Się" for publication in
Shimmer, but I'm afraid I must return it with our regrets.

The use of Polish completely worked within this setting and I appreciate
your delving into a folk world that is new. However, the opening
paragraphs clearly signal which direction the story is headed, and thus
the ending is expected.

Best wishes, and we do hope you will submit something else when you have it.

Not so bad, yeah? Perhaps I should fix up the issue they speak of... hm...

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:27 pm
Sam says...

Ooh, it's awesome that they wrote you a semi-review, though- usually they don't do anything, it's just, "We didn't like it and refuse to tell you why", with smug expressions. *grumble* Kind of a bummer, but now you get to tell everyone that you got a rejection!
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:32 pm
Black Ghost says...

That's pretty cool, even though it's a rejection letter. But from the look of the letter it seems like they gave it pretty strong consideration, so great job. :)

-Tony

316 Reviews

Reviews: 316
Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:53 am
whence says...

Awww, your first rejection letter. Our little Zee's growing up. *sentimental tear*
The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life — and one is as good as the other.
Ernest Hemingway

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:04 pm
Fishr says...

I sent a short piece to a friend of mine in NY. He's a professional editor for a newspaper. A year later, he tells me he hasn't finished it yet. I'm guessing that's some type of omen. I suck. XD LOL! It's pretty funny,

Congrats on your rejection letter, I think? ;) I have so many pieces scattered all over. Prehaps I should find some magazine and submit one. Just so I can receive a rejection too. :D
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

2058 Reviews

Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:30 pm
Emerson says...

UPDATE 7/18/07

I'm stealing Dreamy's form of posting in these things ;-) It looked so beautiful, I cannot help myself.

Módlmy Się - I pulled it from submission in that one magazine, and sent it into another. I also did some minor edits in it from places here or there. I'm not sure whether I should delete it from the forums? The magazine I just sent it to has a wait time of one to five months, and I feel absolutely impatient about the idea of waiting five months . . . Hopefully I'll receive my rejection [or submission?] letter before then.

Speakeasy - I've written a bit more but it still goes slowly. It just goes as I can go. It desperately needs an ending, and more than that, I need to work on it quicker so I can reach the end and be able to either quit all together or rewrite it. It's depressing thinking that you might make it to the end of something and not care about it at all, but I guess that is how it goes.

Possible NaNoWriMo - I know it is early for this, but I am thinking on a project for NaNoWriMo, and the idea of it has only gotten more exciting. It will be a kind of memoir, although more fictitious with the events. as much as I would want to write something completely true to the story, if it ever was published I know I would hurt too many people. I have the idea of writing it with an every other chapter pattern. So, for example, the odds will have the plot, and the evens will be on specific subjects. I would love to know the art of being able to rant and still be enjoyed. I can do it in a blog, but can one pull it off in fiction? If I wrote anything right now that I really wished to publish, a novel I do mean, it would be this. I feel obligated to get it out, let the rest of the world know it, and find a way to help others with it. Am I too hopeful?

Others - Lately I've been writing poetry and things as a way to get things out and avoid novel writing. I've gotten a lot of interesting thing from it. I enjoyed my short story, Don't Panic. It's proof of concept for my possible NaNoWriMo.

On a less needed note, I found a section in East of Eden talking about Black Water, and it throughly spoke to me. I felt odd, seeing my feelings reflected back at me, and not only that, being reminded of the poem I wrote. I wish to publish that as well [dreamy -_-] but I can't find anywhere to send it to.

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:32 pm
Writersdomain says...

*jabs* Write. Speakeasy needs you. :wink:

Five months? That would be an awful long time. :shock: A wait worthy of being published? Perhaps. I look forward to further updates on your possible NaNo. It sounds wunderbar.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved better.
— Anne Lamott