z

Young Writers Society

Fishr's Musuem in a room

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:43 pm
Fishr says...

Well, some of you may already know, then again, maybe some of you may not but I'm an avid collector and one of my hobbies is collecting pocket knives and daggers. Over the years, my interest has changed where I'd take in any knife, even if it was a cheap Ames one.

But my second uncle is an avid collector as well, and he harnessed my interest even further. Now, I'm picky. :P The knife or dagger has to at least a decade old, and unique. My uncle though has bayonets from the Civil and Revolutionary Wars, homemade knives from 1770, sabres, hangers, cutlass', from officers that were in the Civil or Revolutionary period, and of course, their uniforms from the Civil War. I believe he even has flintlock pistols and muskets too. The stuff my uncle has would shock the history enthusiast.

So, I can't have my uncle outdo me. That's just wrong, lol. While in honesty, I'll never be with a fraction of his collection, but my uncle rekindled being specially selective and the true meaning of being a collector and what it entails as far as researching and knowing the value of something.

Someday, I'll post a portion of my daggers that are displayed on my wall, and maybe even another knife that belonged to another uncle of mine who was a WW2 Veteran. That knife is weird; pure steel, even the handle and on the front it's engraved U.S

Without further ado, my new dagger and its sheath.

The company that produced it is Frost Mora, Swedish company.
Their site is http://www.swedishknives.com and I tried looking but my dagger is non-existent, lol. I'm emailing the company to get a ballpark range how old the knife is since it was established in the early 1800's.

Hope you enjoy.
Last edited by Fishr on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:54 pm, edited 10 times in total.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:04 am
Prosithion says...

WOW!!!!!! I've tried sucking my parents into letting me get a samurai sword, but they won't let me. It's awesome that you collect knives. ^_^
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

365 Reviews

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:14 am
View Likes
Fishr says...

True (by 'true' I mean the real deal, and not a cheap factory remake)Katanas or (Samurai) swords are hard to get ahold of and they are pretty expensive. Also, make sure you check with your local laws because I believe Katanas might be illegal in some states. Don't quote me on it, but it's worth checking into. At least, I know switchblades are almost outlawed in ever state, if not all by now.

As for the parents, wait until you're eighteen because then they can't do anything about it. :D On the flip side, if you have an interest with 'blades,' there's always the ol' Buck knife. If it's more of a dagger you're after Prosithion, there's a well known name, and that's the Ka-bar dagger. The Ka-bar isn't cheap but they are well made, and the name has lasted for quite a while. There's also the Swiss Army knife too. :)

But for me, those knives are too modern, even though the Ka-bar has seen wars such as Viet Nam. Still, I hope you get your hands on that Samurai sword. I'll be jealous but happy for you nonetheless. Knives and swords always have a story behind them. ;)

Thank you for comments as well. It's nice to know that I'm not the only knife enthusiast around here. :D
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:57 pm
Firestarter says...

That's awesome, fishr. I want to collect old weapons I'm older -- although I must admit I'm more predisposed toward flintlock weaponry such as pistols and muskets. A brace of fine flintlock pistols is just ...

Anyway -- my point was, it's really cool that you're collecting these.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:18 pm
Rei says...

I love katana. I'm not that interested in swords/knives, but I love Japanese culture. I've seen what goes into making katana, and it's no wonder they'd be hard to come by in North America, and very expensive when you do find them.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

365 Reviews

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:49 pm
View Likes
Fishr says...

Heh! Thanks guys!!

Yeah, Katanas are a cool piece of weapontry for sure. I personally like Sais though. Sais are just plain cool.

Anyway, here's a sword for you all. I posted it a while back because I was trying to translate it. Well, I have, and here's the spanish writing:

Camaro'n que no nada
se lolleba la cascada

Translated into:

Shrimp that falls asleep The Water will take you away

I was told it is a very well known saying. My dad works with people from the Middle East and Europe. :)

The writing is directly on the blade, and the blade itself is eleven inches. Its dull and hasn't been sharpened in a long, long time; a testiment, in my opinion, on its age.

Here's the pictures.

Exotic, is it not? :) I've looked at quite a few of spanish daggers and swords, and I can't find hide nor hair of my sword so I'm assuming the blacksmith specially crafted it for the original owner.

I wonder if it came from the War of 1812? Wouldn't that be sweet!

Random avatar

Reviews: 99
Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:14 am
Niamh says...

Those are amazing! I collect replicas myself (well, I've started, I only have two) but having the actual pieces from the time periods would be astounding! That's very lucky that you have those. The only old weapons I've come by so far (and unfortunately, didn't purchase) were a pair of bayonets. The man didn't know exactly where they came from, but he said it was possibly there were from WWI.
"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself." -- Declaration of Arbroath

365 Reviews

Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:27 pm
Fishr says...

*grins*

Thank you, Nia. :) And it's good to see another collector. ;)

I collect replicas myself (well, I've started, I only have two) but having the actual pieces from the time periods would be astounding! That's very lucky that you have those.

I hadn't thought about it, but I guess I have been lucky, and the great thing is, with each pocket knife and dagger I find, I have the pleasure of owning a portion of that time frame or specifically a brief portion of someone's past.

If I can find a decent digital camera, I'll take some pictures of my daggers, and maybe the pocket knife from WW2. As for the rest, does anyone actually want to see a total of fifteen blades? *laughs*

Nia, if you ever get the chance to get your hands on bayonets, do it. As you probably know, they're not easy to find, and at reasonable prices. :P I would love a bayonent from the Revolutionary War but man... Where's Donald Trump when you need him?

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:30 pm
View Likes
Cassandra says...

*raises hand* Ooh, I'd like to see them!

It's very cool that you collect these. I wish I collected something cool. *pouts* :D

365 Reviews

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:16 am
View Likes
Fishr says...

:D

If I remeber to buy batteries, I'll borrow a digi camera. ;) Thank you Cassandera, but you really want to see fifteen knives? :lol:

I wish I collected something cool. *pouts*
In the eye of the beholder - but try and collect something that interests you, and before you know it, you'll end up with the same delemma as me; finding space, and becoming addicted. :lol: I once collected Arizona bottles because I liked the designs, and then I started collecting Sobe bottles because of the cool surfing gecko, lol. When all I was staring at, was bottles, my impulse hobby had to step to the curb because the bottles were taking up way too much room. :lol:

365 Reviews

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:09 am
View Likes
Fishr says...

Howdy all!

I've finally got my hands on a bayonet, but one that suits my purpose. :D As you can see from the title change, I got my hands on one from the American Revolution!

My uncle just... gave it to me, and I'm still shocked! He's a collector, like I, but he makes a living by collecting antique 'junk' and selling it for a profit. He gave me his oldest bayonet, and someone who was really 'into history' believes the bayonet could possibly have seen action in the French and Indian War too, which was in 1756, if my memory serves me right. That would mean this thing could potencially be over 250 years old!

Can you imagine what this bayoney saw, and what action it was apart of??

The very end is gone; a clean slice which to me means a couple of things but of course they're all theories. One, this bayonet was poorly forged, and a blind bullet connected and shattered the end. Two, well... uh, when it impaled something, or realistically someone, a bone might have snagged the blade, and when the soldier yanked, the blade broke. My last guess, but I think it's unlikely is that rust decayed the bayonet, but considering that the end was a clean slice off, I doubt it. The sides of the blade are jagged and certaintly not smooth by any means, not to mention the blade itself is crooked. Very strange indeed. Makes me wonder if the bayonet was a homemade job or if someone really had a blacksmith forge it, and age made the blade slanted.

Here's the pictures, as well as my wall of daggers. Honestly, I have so many knives, it's rediculious but the ones I have proudly displayed I treasure. Each one has a story or mystery behind it, and that my friend is why specializing in specific collectables is so rewarding. I was going to take a picture of my WW2 pocket knife but that would have meant me finding the key to unlock my trunk, and retrieving it. I'm feeling lazy tonight. ;)

I hope everyone enjoys the pictures. I'm totally estactic, and only the history buff may understand what I'm feeling. ;)

I spent the better part of my night looking up bayonets from the Civil and Rev. War. :lol: I'm such a geek, LOL!

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:02 am
View Likes
electricbluemonkey says...

Those are pretty cool, fishr. My brother has this weird Tibetan steel dagger, which is rather pointy (I found that out the hard way).
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

365 Reviews

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:14 am
View Likes
Fishr says...

Thank you! :) :D

Mmm... I could be wrong, but the point of owning knives is to not get stabbed, ha ha. Sorry, really; I couldn't resist.

If you could, Electric, I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the Tibetan dagger. But thanks for the comments.

365 Reviews

Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:35 pm
View Likes
Fishr says...

I have a new knife. :lol:

With some research, I guess I have a Japanese 'copy' of the Jet Pilot survival knife because it bears 'Japan' on the blade. :lol: :lol:

Still, I got it for a few bucks, so I'm not disappointed at all; it was what the blade was worth - a few dollars.

There it is:

I'm going to run out of wall space eventually, LOL! I've really gotten back into my hobby, full force. I may need a seperate storage unit myself, like my uncle, at this rate! :lol: :lol:

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:37 am
LamaLama says...

*groan* young boys and their knives. If I rolled my eyes at that, my contacts would fall out from the sheer level of rolling I would have to do.

You have them hanging the wrong way, by the way. The blades will rust if you keep them out like that, and you need to keep them oiled.

And please, if you MUST have them out, turn them around. Sharp edge up. You may not realize it, but your house is moving just enough to shake them babies around just enough that the tacs are wearing down on that one spot on the blade. (another reason you keep them away, among the obvious other reasons.) So by hanging them like that, you are doing irreparibable damage to the edge.

And for some reason, I thought you had a Khukri, but I don't see it anymore....

If you do have one hanging out, its considered an insult. Its viewed as a tool by the Indians. During war, it never returns to its home without drawing blood. Its its not a wartime situation, it never comes out unless its serving a purpose. Like peeling potatoes, hanging on the wall does not count.

Investing in a glass case, where they can lay on their side would be a more appropruite option. Being exposed like that really is bad for them.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

The only person I know for certain I am better than is the person I used to be.
— CandyWizard