z

Young Writers Society

Become A [British] Lord for 29.99

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:10 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

LONDON (Reuters) - The British aristocracy has long been an exclusive club but now anyone can become a Lord or Lady -- for as little as 30 pounds ($58.00).

A raft of British Web sites are offering one square foot of the Glencairn Estate in northeast Scotland and, with it, access to the prestigious-sounding title of Lord/Laird and Lady of Glencairn.

Buyagift.co.uk is offering the "fun" title as the "ideal gift for anyone who aspires to greatness" for 29.99 pounds, which includes a deed of ownership, a map of the Glencairn estate and a card which proves their title.

Lastminute.co.uk and thanksdarling.com are also offering shoppers the chance to lord it up as a Glencairn, which is believed to be nothing more than a small plot of croft land with the title invented for it.

One incensed aristocrat is fighting back at what he sees is a scam and is warning potential shoppers that buying the title of Lord, Viscountess, Baron or Earl is meaningless.

The Earl of Bradford, whose own title dates from the 1800s, set up www.faketitles.com, after someone fraudulently passed himself off as Lord Newport, which is his son's title.

"I will put it very simply: You cannot purchase a genuine British title," he warns on the site.

- Reuter's News Service
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm ... ID=7076067
Last edited by Nate on Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:13 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Oh yeh, I've already seen this.

It is true though guys, you can't buy your way into the aristocracy. It's pointless, don't do it!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:14 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

Aww! Fine! Be that way! Ruin my dreams! Hmph!

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:52 pm
Firestarter says...

My pleasure! :P

Can't let a Yank be part of our aristocracy, twould be an outrage! Not that anyway likes cares, they're all just a load of posh pretentious tw@ts! They give us a bad reputation for drinking tea and talking with renounced pronounciation!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:03 pm
View Likes
Zion says...

And how about the childern of Alexandar the great? A nation directly from the craddle of modern civilization. Also I LOVE BRITAIN! :D :lol: :wink:
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:38 am
View Likes
electricbluemonkey says...

*Looks around for some spare change*

Wow, thats amazing! Become a Lord for 58 bucks...hehehe, does that mean people would have to address you as Lord "something-something"...think of the possibilities....
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:13 am
View Likes
Sam says...

that's true...but it'd be kinda wierd since I'm *ahem* american...
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:19 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Wow, thats amazing! Become a Lord for 58 bucks...hehehe, does that mean people would have to address you as Lord "something-something"...think of the possibilities....

NO.

Sorry to break it to you, it's rubbish, you're not actually a Lord.

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:07 am
View Likes
electricbluemonkey says...

NO-O-OW YOU TELL ME!

J/k

Yeah, I would think it is, 1) It seems way too cheap 2) How can they actually change your name to a Lord, doesn't it have to be done by the goverment?
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:09 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

Firestarter.. STILL ruining everyone's dreams? Sheesh.. and to think I started spelling things the BRITISH way.. :P
Love and Light

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:21 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

2) How can they actually change your name to a Lord, doesn't it have to be done by the goverment?

No, even the Government can't do it.

It's a hereditary title, that's why there's not many aristocrats left....well technically...I guess the Queen still has the power to make people LOrds or Earls etc...but she never uses it.

Maybe if you saved her life?

Firestarter.. STILL ruining everyone's dreams? Sheesh.. and to think I started spelling things the BRITISH way..

It's my job... :lol:

Keep spelling them the British way! You know it makes sense! You Americans just have a fixation with using Z instead of S. Weirdos *just realises has insulted about 95% of the board and scuttles off*

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:53 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

personally I think we're lingually challenged...I was reading this one book 'There is No Zoo in Zoology' and it said we've dropped so many sounds from English and we've messed up a ton of words...like 'deluge' for example. You guys would pronounce it 'delyooj' we pronounce it 'delooj'. British english is much nicer...:D
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:03 pm
View Likes
dreaming_mouse says...

Awww I always wanted to be a lady...*Snort*

It is true though guys, you can't buy your way into the aristocracy.

The website suggests otherwise lol :P but still it'd be better to be knighted...or marry one of the princes ¬¬ no wait...that wouldn't make you a lady would it...I'm confused...

"The bird that would soar above the level plain of tradition and prejudice must have strong wings. It is a sad spectacle to see the weaklings bruised, exhausted, fluttering back to earth."
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening