z

Young Writers Society

Dedications

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:47 am
Tessitore says...

For those of us who write stories, who are they generally dedicated to? And what is the best dedication that you have read by a published/unpublished writer?

Give examples, I think this would be a fun topic. =)
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

103 Reviews

Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:47 am
Tessitore says...

Alright, here's a start on a thread I... started...

To my muse,
Who has taken many different shapes and sizes over the years,
But this time decided to come to me,
In the form of a girl.

And:

He who speaks without an attentive ear is mute.

Therefore, Constant Reader, this final book

is dedicated to you.

Long days and pleasent nights.

The first one is mine, but the second one... if you can guess what published writer it came from, I'll give you a cookie. =)
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:10 am
Elelel says...

Here's a fairly interesting dedication I once saw:

For (can't remember name) and (ditto) welcome to the world.

I can't decide who or what to dedicate my book to yet... I probably should finish it before thinking about it though.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:49 pm
Firestarter says...

For those of us who write stories, who are they generally dedicated to?

I'm going to dedicate my latest book to an old girlfriend of mine, she gave me lot of confidence in regards to my writing and general life, without her I doubt I'd be on this site at all....
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:17 am
Crysi says...

I've been thinking about this a lot.

I'm definitely dedicating it to Meshugenah, for all her help and belief in me, and I think I'm going to dedicate it to my parents as well, and I'm going to try to dedicate it to the YFW site, because without that site, I wouldn't have been inspired to write my story. :)

Ooh, but I have to dedicate it to everyone who read my first chapter and gave me hope that it was a project worth working on..That came in handy when I had writer's block and started doubting its value.

GAH I DON'T KNOW!! TOO MANY PEOPLE!!!
Love and Light

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:52 am
dele24 says...

He who speaks without an attentive ear is mute.

Therefore, Constant Reader, this final book

is dedicated to you.

Long days and pleasent nights.

Is that dedication from that Dark Tower book? Stehen King? Maybe not.

Anyway when I was little I was always going to dedicate my books to the horses i had but now i don't think I'll do that now :P I don't know who Im going to dedicate my books to now, but ill think of something when the time comes.

103 Reviews

Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:13 am
Tessitore says...

Dele; That is the CORRECT answer. Dark Tower V. 7; The Dark Tower.

*hands over cookie (homemade of course)*

Yay ^^. I'm glad somebody knew.

I always dedicate stories unless I know they're going to be just little snipets of a story I might or might not do in the future. So my dedications are many, to friends and family alike. I find that when I dedicate so many stories to so many people, I don't feel so bad about leaving people out on my recent one, because there is sure to be one before that was dedicated to them.

If that makes any sense =)
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:00 pm
Elelel says...

I think I may dedicate one of mine to an English teacher who was there helping me when I got started writing, maybe to my piano teacher too for her never ceasing utter rock solid belief that I can do whatever I want to. Can't think of any encouraging friends at the moment though :roll:
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:16 pm
Duskglimmer says...

I can't remember exactly how it was worded, but the dedication from INKHEART by Cornelia Funke goes something like this:

To my daughter, (can't remember name), who even put down Lord of the Rings to read this. What more can you ask?
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:20 pm
niteowl says...

Duskglimmer wrote::

To my daughter, (can't remember name), who even put down Lord of the Rings to read this. What more can you ask?

I hope you mean you can't remember the name. *goes and checks her copy.* Oh yes, it's Anna. And here's the second part.

And to Elinor, who lent me her name, althought I didn't use it for an elf queen.

What did she use it for? I can't remember.

Oh yeah, now I remember, it was that bookworm aunt.
Last edited by niteowl on Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:36 pm
J. Wilder says...

I rarely dedicate stuff I write. My cowriter and I (actually she wrote most of it) dedicated our first novel to our third-grade teacher, not because we liked her (we sure as hell didn't) but because one of the characters was based on her. That's the only time I've ever dedicated something written outside of school to a particular person. There's one novel, Study Hall I wrote a few years ago that I dedicated...I can't remember quite how it went, but it was something like, "to all the lazy smart kids" and a lot of other things like that. One novel that I'm writing right now, This Is The Best It Gets, is dedicated the the students and alum of the high school it takes place at, which is pretty weird because it's not really meant for anyone to read except me. (People have read excerpts, but not the whole thing. It would bore the hell out of anyone; it's all character and setting, and no plot.)

The person who has no opinion will seldom be wrong.
— Anonymous