z

Young Writers Society

Fundementalism and Instanity at it's worse.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Mon May 12, 2008 4:59 pm
deleted6 says...

Teacher Jim Piculas does a magic trick where a toothpick disappears and then reappears.

Piculas recently did the 30-second trick in front of a classroom at Rushe Middle School in Land 'O Lakes.

Piculas said he then got a call from the supervisor of teachers, saying he'd been accused of wizardry.

"I get a call the middle of the day from head of supervisor of substitute teachers. He says, 'Jim, we have a huge issue, you can't take any more assignments you need to come in right away,'" he said.

Piculas said he did not know of any other accusations that would have led to the action.

The teacher said he is concerned that the incident may prevent him from getting future jobs.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Really, this is stupid, he did something that's so harmless and he's been accused of Witchcraft, jeeze... Surely people are smart enough to know he isn't some incarnate of Satan... Just God...

----------------
Listening to: The Who - The Seeker
via FoxyTunes
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon May 12, 2008 5:53 pm
Twit says...

Lol, that's cracked. I doubt that it'll interfere with him getting other jobs, though. Not everyone can be that naive.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Mon May 12, 2008 5:56 pm
OverEasy says...

Obviously the person accusing him of witchcraft knows nothing of Wicca. It's rediculous.
Life is for living.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Mon May 12, 2008 6:24 pm
Rei says...

Of course they don't know anything about Wicca. I'm no expert either, but I don't think wizardry is the same thing as that religion. Haven't they ever heard the term illuionist?
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon May 12, 2008 8:10 pm
Emerson says...

Is there a link with this? I'd be curious of the source/location the story came from.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Random avatar

Mon May 12, 2008 9:19 pm
deleted6 says...

http://www.local6.com/news/16169506/det ... n&psp=news

There, that's where it came from.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Mon May 12, 2008 10:25 pm
JFW1415 says...

Jeez - this is ridiculous.

Haven't they ever heard of magicians? Besides, there's always a simple explanation as to how the trick is performed. It's just that - a trick. Not wizardry.

This is rather pathetic.

~JFW1415

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Tue May 13, 2008 11:53 am
aestar101 says...

That is probaly the most stupid accuastions I have heard of. Those teachers have been reading way too much Harry Potter.
Character is what you have left when you've lost everything you can lose. - Evan Esar
Like my opinions a lot? Let me critique you. topic29146.html

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue May 13, 2008 12:05 pm
Nate says...

When I clicked this I was thinking Burma or China or something actually quite serious.

Vernon, you live in the UK! If something that doesn't affect you that happened thousands of miles way in a town you likely have never heard of and will almost certainly never visit and yet somehow ranks as fundamentalism and insanity at its worst, then things must be very much under control in this world.

And yes, this accusation is quite obviously worse than the teacher who gets accused falsely with sexual abuse, or the teacher who gets fired under pretext when the real reason is an immutable characteristic.

People, laugh at this. Don't get offended by it.

Random avatar

Tue May 13, 2008 12:10 pm
deleted6 says...

Well, I'm sorry, all I meant was that if people get out of hand again. We may have the old supersitions and fears back. That's what scares me most.

425 Reviews

Tue May 13, 2008 12:12 pm
Nate says...

Vernon wrote:Well, I'm sorry, all I meant was that if people get out of hand again. We may have the old supersitions and fears back. That's what scares me most.

Really? That's what scares you most? Not that the death toll in Burma may now reach over 1,000,000, or that the Chinese government will do whatever it takes to ensure a successful Olympics, or that Darfur continues to suffer? No, a hypothetical situation based on an incident that happened several thousands of miles away that cannot possibly affect you is what scares you the most?

A sense of proportionality is of the utmost importance.

Like I said, laugh at this. But to take it seriously? Life is too ludicrous for that.

Random avatar

Tue May 13, 2008 12:24 pm
deleted6 says...

Nate wrote:
Vernon wrote:Well, I'm sorry, all I meant was that if people get out of hand again. We may have the old supersitions and fears back. That's what scares me most.

Really? That's what scares you most? Not that the death toll in Burma may now reach over 1,000,000, or that the Chinese government will do whatever it takes to ensure a successful Olympics, or that Darfur continues to suffer? No, a hypothetical situation based on an incident that happened several thousands of miles away that cannot possibly affect you is what scares you the most?

A sense of proportionality is of the utmost importance.

Like I said, laugh at this. But to take it seriously? Life is too ludicrous for that.

I can't laugh... And it's horrifying what's happening in Burma, but this isn't something to ignore. It shows people still close minded. I find it hard picking titles... I just find it insane, that this guy did a trick... nothing big and he ostracized because of it.

Anyway, I understand I chose the title wrong... but nothing else can come to mind.

425 Reviews

Tue May 13, 2008 12:44 pm
Nate says...

Vernon, you're quite seriously defending this? This is an incident that happened thousands of miles away in a town you've never even heard of; tell me, how does this affect you? This is a trifling incident. Nothing more. Of course, if you want to keep on making a much ado about nothing, then go on ahead. I'll get morally outraged out of stuff that deserves moral outrage, such as genocide and starvation. You can get morally outraged about a false accusation involving one person whose life is probably fine right now in a city thousands of miles away that you can't even point out on a map.

If you couldn't think of any other titles, why didn't you use the title of the news story?

Random avatar

Tue May 13, 2008 12:48 pm
deleted6 says...

Nate wrote:Vernon, you're quite seriously defending this? This is an incident that happened thousands of miles away in a town you've never even heard of; tell me, how does this affect you? This is a trifling incident. Nothing more. Of course, if you want to keep on making a much ado about nothing, then go on ahead. I'll get morally outraged out of stuff that deserves moral outrage, such as genocide and starvation. You can get morally outraged about a false accusation involving one person whose life is probably fine right now in a city thousands of miles away that you can't even point out on a map.

Nate please, I'm not like that, I get angry at the mere thought. Just can we leave it. There horrible things happening everywhere. My Dad showed me this. I'll stick to posting articles from Oddly Enough Yahoo.

----------------
Listening to: Ofra Haza - Goodbye Brother
via FoxyTunes

425 Reviews

Tue May 13, 2008 1:40 pm
Nate says...

Vernon, I know you're not like that. What I'm trying to do is just show you how silly and trivial this is. It's not worth your outrage.

"I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy..."
— Unnamed Girl from "Mean Girls"