z

Young Writers Society

Nate's Hypothetical Situation #2

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:39 pm
Nate says...

You have a great idea for a novel; an idea so wonderful, so magnificent, so exquisite that it will surely win you a pulitzer prize! Only problem is, the idea is not yours.

You see, you got the idea from a fellow YWS friend, but she merely mentioned it in passing. However, you're a good person so you ask her if you can use the idea.

She answers "No! It's my idea and you can't use it!"

So you begin to think that ideas aren't copyrighted, and that the words used in the novel would still be completely yours, even if the idea is not. Besides, it may win you a pulitzer prize...

Would you use the idea and ignore your friend's statement?

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:15 pm
RiaBaby says...

It depends on how well I know the person. If it was a close friend, then no. But if it was at most a passing acquaintance...then I don't know. This idea could make me rich, not to mention famous and a record in the history books for winning a Pulitzer. So in all honesty I gotta say that I would write it anyway. I'd feel bad about it, especially when people congratulated me and I'd know I didn't deserve it. But for someone like me who doesn't have a lot of money, the call of fortune is strong.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:17 pm
Firestarter says...

Someone I know really well, and admire, and get on well with, then no.

Someome I hardly talk to, then I'd take the idea. I probably wouldn't feel that guilty. After all, it's only an idea, and ideas can be thought of very quickly, so I'd use it. But only if they didn't try and write a story on it too.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:39 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

I'd probably write the story but then feel really guilty because I would know it's not my own idea. So then I would delete it and feel really bad lol.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:15 pm
Emma says...

I would work around that idea, putting in a few of my own.

Or if I can't I won't bother.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:28 pm
Rei says...

Of course I would use it. Not the exact idea of course. I would disguise it and make it my own. Even If you suggested to everyone in this group to write a story about a certain idea, everyone would come up with something different. When I wrote my first novel, all I was really doing was a retelling of a contemporary fairy tale known as Jim Henson's Labyrinth. It's not the idea that matters. It's what you do with the idea that does.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:23 pm
niteowl says...

I don't have the patience to write a Pulitzer Prize winning novel, or any novel for that matter. So most likely not.

Maybe you could ask if he/she's interested in co-writing it? That sounds good to me.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:35 pm
hekategirl says...

If it was a close friend, no. If it was just someone I ment walking down the street one day or something then, yes. And if it was a close friend maybe we could co-write it, like niteowl said.
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:04 am
Crysi says...

I wouldn't do it. I might take elements from it and twist them around (Mesh mentioned a few things that sparked my interest, for example) but I won't take it directly from that person. I'd ask if I could help edit, since I would probably have a different idea of where it was going. But I wouldn't steal it. I'm too innocent for that. *laughs*
Love and Light

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:33 am
Zion says...

Crysi innocent?! (!) Call the newspapers! :roll: ;)
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:34 am
Areida says...

Dependant upon how well they wrote, how well I knew them, and if I had more ideas to expound upon it with, then I might.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:54 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

I would write it, adding my own little details, which would take me probably years, so by the time I won any prizes for it the person might have forgotten about it anyway...

There's no harm in writing it, I guess, it's just what's done with it afterwards.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:01 pm
Midnight says...

if they said no I wouldn't.
available

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:05 am
Shadow Knight says...

Hell no.
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:03 am
uniaeca says...

No I wouldn't take the idea, I'd ask if we could co-author together though and tell her ideas we could put in.
Sporks!! and Waffles!! Ohhhh that waffley goodness stabbed with a spork!

Very well; I hear; I admit, but I have a voice too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced.
— Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness