z

Young Writers Society

How do you celebrate Easter?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:24 am
Nate says...

Easter is coming up soon, so what does that mean for you? Nothing? Easter egg hunt? Church? Seeing family? No school?

For me it means driving all the way back home (used to be fun when gas was a lot cheaper), and then spending time with my family, which is nice but I just came back from a week at home! On Sunday, I'll go to Church, then come back and start picking at my chocolate bunny.

When I was little, Easter was huge. The egg hunts were awesome, and my family used to always go for vacation down in the Outer Banks off the coast of North Carolina, which was great. But nowadays, Easter is nothing more than a day I just have to dress a little nicer for. I don't like growing up!
Last edited by Nate on Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:29 am
Supermal says...

It's usually just about family for me. My mom and I sit around all day, being lazy, chatting and eating chocolate. Nothing more, and nothing less. I couldn't love it more :D
~Michelle~
Who needs friends when you've just bought a brand new pen?

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:16 am
niteowl says...

I agree with what Nate said about Easter just being a day where you have to dress up a little nicer. Up until a couple years ago when my little sister stopped believing in the Easter Bunny, my mom would go downstairs with huge baskets of candy and stuff and she would hide wooden eggs around the house for us to find.

Now we go to this Easter Brunch thing at the local community center since no one wants to cook.

I'm Greek Orthodox even though I haven't been to church in two years, so I have another Easter in May. My Yia-Yia coks for that one.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:17 am
Shadow Knight says...

First year we have ever celebrated easter, i don't know what'll happen.
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:40 pm
Nai says...

Well when I was a kid my whole family always got together, even though we are not a religious family...none of us go to church. The parents and adults usually just ate and talked and everything while the kids usually went on an easter egg hunt. And it was a different house every year so it never lost its mystery which was fun. Then once me and my cousins grew out of it we just stopped doing it. Now we just get together for fun.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:15 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Easter never has been very big for me. Every year we'd get baskets of candy, pick at it in the morning, have a small family dinner (as family dinners are rare in my house) and that'd be it.

This year however, my niece has changed things a bit. My sister takes her to her other grandmothers house for an easter egg hunt, but we'll have a brunch here before that. And my girldfriend has come home with me from college, so things will be slightly different.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:32 pm
Emma says...

We do it for the chocolate! People in my school dont call it easter, they just call it CHOCOLATE DAY!

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:40 pm
Bobo says...

There's always a special church meeting, which is just a normal meeting based around Christ's Crucifixion and Resurrection, and there might be a special celebration or something like that. My parents hide easter baskets for everyone. I don't think we ever really had a tradition that the Easter Bunny is real, more like a mascot or something.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:05 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

I don't celebrate Easter anymore, these christian holidays are starting to get slightly overated(in a non offensive way) I mean look at christmas. I know no one who is celebrating it for the birth of christ, people just do it for the presents. And Easter like Emma has said people do it for the chocolate. I don't understand why you'd need to celebrate the death and rebirth of christ with chocolate. And I don't believe in that stuff (but I still won't be eating meet tomorrow damnit)

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:11 pm
Shriek says...

dreaming_mouse wrote:I don't celebrate Easter anymore, these christian holidays are starting to get slightly overated(in a non offensive way) I mean look at christmas. I know no one who is celebrating it for the birth of christ, people just do it for the presents. And Easter like Emma has said people do it for the chocolate. I don't understand why you'd need to celebrate the death and rebirth of christ with chocolate. And I don't believe in that stuff (but I still won't be eating meet tomorrow damnit)

Actually, Easter and Christmas started off as pagan holidays--Easter originally celebrating the Spring Equinox and Eostre, the Great Mother Goddess of the Saxon people. When second century Christian missionaries wanted the Saxons to accept Christianity, they decided to use the name Easter for this holiday so that it would match the name of the old Spring celebration. The goddess Eostres' earthly symbol was the rabbit, which was also known as a symbol of fertility. Originally, there were some very pagan (and sometimes utterly evil) practices that went along with the celebration.

So yeah. I agree--it's kind of sad that people don't try to get more from the holiday than chocolate. I'll be spending time with the relatives, my Bible, and some chocolate on Easter. :)
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:11 am
Tara says...

For me Easter means...well, it's eally quite pathetic...saying two more words to my Da before we both leave. 'Happy Easter'

Yup, sometimes we really overdo it. :lol:
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:15 am
Areida says...

We're starting a new family tradition this year: we're going to watch The Passion every Good Friday from now on...I think it's a great tradition, because it forces me to remember what Easter is truly about. Not chocolate, not bunnies, not even dressing up- but what Christ did for us.

But we'll be doing our standard thing...dressing up, going to church (I get to sing in the service :D ) and then going out to eat. Finally, we'll come home and hunt eggs and get to pig out! But, like I said, watching the Passion this year has made me so much more aware of what this time is all about...and I like it.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:52 am
Elizabeth says...

Nice tradtidiont adreia...

This year is going to be more different than the one that we had for the past. We are going to have a huge out door hunt with my moms friends and her friends kids and etc... I am haning with Mattew. He is so cute, and i am the only one who can understand him. He's only 3, he can't speak a word of English. Barely count to 3, but all in all I love that chubby little bugger.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:58 am
Crysi says...

I'm actually surprised my church didn't decide to show The Passion on Friday. I would have gone.. I think I've grown too insensitive again. My youth group was showing it on Wednesday, but I couldn't go.

When I was little, we would dye eggs and my parents would hide them for me. I'd wake up, look for the eggs, and I usually got a huge basket filled with chocolate and little toys and stuffed animals and such. Tomorrow (er.. later today, now) I think I'm getting a basket (with non-chocolate candy) and I know we're eating ham for dinner.. Other than that, my dad and I are gonna see if a race is on, and I'll probably do my hw and write a bit. We went to the Saturday Easter service so it wouldn't be as crowded. It was good. A few people accepted Christ, so that was cool. I remember I was baptized a few years ago.. wow, today. March 27th. Then, I think it was Good Friday.. Or it might have been Thursday. But I was baptized in an inflatable hottub, lol! It was great. Being baptized on the Easter weekend.. that was cool. I have pictures, I'll have to post them.
Love and Light

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:30 pm
Elizabeth says...

Well, this year on Easter, I had to call the cops.

I will not condemn you for what you did yesterday, if you do it right today.
— Sheldon S. Maye