z

Young Writers Society

Poll: How do you pronounce the word "coupon"?

How do you say coupon?

koo-pon
72%
kyoo-pon
23%
neither because I say some other weird thing like "koo-pin"
6%

Total votes : 71

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:04 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

AND YET I'M FROM CALIFORNIA AND I SAY KYOO-PON

THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT FOLKS
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:33 am
View Likes
Carina says...

I LOVE THESE REPLIES AND WILL REPLY TO EVERYONE

@Kale omg I don't think I've ever heard of a real New York (or Boston) accent before; just out of movies. You mean to say people still talk like that???

Also it's interesting to see the map you linked, and it's very different than the one I found! Which do we trust?!?!? (According to YWS, it's yours. :p) Also I found the other maps for other words interesting, like the cart and groceries. Apparently few areas say grocery cart, which surprised me because that's what I say. @Carlito, do you also say grocery cart, or do you say shopping cart? :o

@Rosendorn coupon coupon coupon coupon coupon coupon coupon coupon coupon
(lol I almost tagged you as Rosendork)

@Lumi
def read that as see-you-pon but I is proud of u for saying it the kewl way even being on the east coast, and same for @FalconerGal9086 for taking it all the way to the west coast yes extreme proudness. unlike @sheyren shame shame

@Cadi @Audy even I've gotta admit that saying kyoo-pon with a "Q" sound is pretty strange, but hey, we Americans like to spice up our words by removing the 'u' from color and say hard 'r' sounds, so maybe this is a way to add flair and beauty byooty to the country? ;) Or just in farmland Midwest. But so far, it seems somewhat random on who says it this way.

@neptune @niteowl isn't it weird how you might say it one way, but someone else in the same area says it differently??? Makes me wonder if it's TV shows or other media that says it two ways, and we pick it up from there.

@shaniac innnnnteresting! When you say 'ko-pon' I'm guessing it's with the 'co' sound in coworker?

@Lightsong LOL interesting perspective! I though kyoo-pon might be a distinctively American sound, though it could be British as well. So I'm guessing from your area, the classes teach American English? I've always thought most people learn British English. :o

@fortis *high fives* the general trend seems to be Midwestern="kyoo-pon" but we've definitely got outliers like @TheSilverFox and @omnom :P
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:18 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

No matter how many times I say it I can't make sense of kyoo-pon. Can someone record that on vocaroo or something for me? XD
We were born to be amazing.

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:03 pm
View Likes
Lightsong says...

Carina: Malaysians learn British English, though students might confuse British Eng. and American Eng. since the majority of English novels in bookstores is from the US. That being said, our pronunciation is closer to American than British simply because we think British is too thick.

As for the pronunciation of coupon, I always think everything with an 'ou' is spelled 'oo' (at least if it's at the beginning of word), so I guess that's also the mentality of other Malaysians? Not sure, maybe likely. Interestingly though, the national language, Malay language, borrows the word and spells it as 'koo-pon'. :D
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:25 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

I say koo-pon, but I'm from all over the place and it seriously wreaks havoc with the way I pronounce things. There's no consistent pattern - dialect quizzes I take never show me as having a strong linguistic tie to any one area of the US. My mom's from Utah and my dad's more from the East coast, and I've definitely seen that affect my speech as well.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:23 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

@Carina

People still do, though it varies a lot depending on where you grew up, your family's background, and whether or not you're trying to suppress the accent or not. I had a friend from the Bronx growing up who had THE strongest Bronx accent, I sometimes had trouble understanding her.

For the most part though, what you hear in the movies as a New York accent is actually an exaggerated amalgamation of several accents. There's a huge amount of variation between people who speak with the same New York accent, and while there are definitely trends (like dropping the r sound in unstressed syllables), not all speakers will do those things, or they do those things in different contexts.

@Tenyo

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1r7KOGvzzOu
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:31 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

I asked the boyfriend and he says koo-pon too, so that's two votes from my end. xD
stay off the faerie paths

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:49 pm
Saruka says...

I say both, but I say kyoo-pon more often.
a lesbian disaster

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:34 pm
Tenyo says...

@Kale

Thankyou!
We were born to be amazing.

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:40 pm
TheBlueCat says...

Northeasterner kyoo-pon gal here ;)
Unofficial Blue Cat of YWS =^-^=
she/her please <3

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:02 pm
fishsashimi says...

koo-pon sounds fancy as heck to me.
Thats why i say koo-pon
wheeee~

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:53 am
Starve says...

Okay you're weird if you say anything other than koo-pun

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:47 pm
Holysocks says...

I say it kyoo-pon. >.> I know some people that say it kyoo-pon but it always sounds weeeeeird to meeee.
100% autistic

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:18 pm
PrincessInk says...

I pronounce it as koo-pon.
always daydreaming, always clumsy

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:41 pm
Feltrix says...

I of course say coupon, as any self-respecting northeasterner does.
Intrepid Explorer
Squire of the Green Room
Harbinger of the Cosmic Squid
Brief Castaway
Founder of Hermits United
TIME Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Dark Matter Overlord
Kind of a Big Deal

"Now I realize that there is no righteous path, it’s just people trying to do their best in a world where it is far too easy to do your worst."
— Castiel