z

Young Writers Society

Muslim Man Convicted(?) for Converting

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:18 pm
Ego says...

Just as anyone living in the States, you have every right to believe what you will, as well as speak out against anything you belive is wrong. However, thias works both ways--that means everyone else who does not share your beliefs can speak out against them, as well. So it is. Law is law, after all.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:19 pm
View Likes
Poor Imp says...

No one is attacking so much as they are scrutinizing. Perhaps you would merely chalk it up to culturual, or educational difference, Khayriyyah. In the West, we don't have to agree or understand; perhaps we are overly rational - but questioning something to learn its origins, its truth is not wrong. You aren't criticisized for having a religion that forbids you to deny 'Allah's law' - you're invited to question whether that is the highest good, or right.

If God is all good, and all right - true, then His laws cannot be unjust. God may allow injustice. He doesn't make it.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:42 pm
Snoink says...

Galatea wrote:I agree with Khay, in that the law is what it is. Our complaints will not change it, NOR will they encourage change, simply encourage the rift between 'Eastern' and 'Western' thought processes.

Hehe... of course our complaints will change it. Maybe not quickly, but eventually. That's why protesting is so beautiful. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

459 Reviews

Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:51 pm
Poor Imp says...

Snoink wrote:
Galatea wrote:I agree with Khay, in that the law is what it is. Our complaints will not change it, NOR will they encourage change, simply encourage the rift between 'Eastern' and 'Western' thought processes.

Hehe... of course our complaints will change it. Maybe not quickly, but eventually. That's why protesting is so beautiful. :)

Exactly. The law is what we make it. What did America do? What happened in Britain to force John into the Magna Carta (pardon the awkward phrasing)?

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:43 am
Khayriyyah says...

Imp, you have never met my father. I am not capable of questioning my faith. Whether or not I want to. It is simply not allowed. I believe as I have been raised to believe.
~assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh~may the peace, mercy, and blessings of Allah be with you~

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:02 am
Rei says...

Not being allowed to and not being capable are two very different things. Every human is capable of questioning authority, and deciding whether or not they agree with what their parents believe unless they were forced to. You live in a country where you are allowed to chose. There is nothing wrong with the choices you made, resulting in a forclosed identity. At the same time, the people who are happiest and most successful, based on what I have observed, are people who did not just accept what their parents gave them, but made choices and decided what was right for them. I am in no way trying to critize you, and neither is anyone else here. I can't speak for anyone else, but my goal here is to give you something to think about. As for not being able to change things, it's very untrue. Study Canadian and American history. It's full of people who saw things they didn't like and changed them.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:10 am
View Likes
Khayriyyah says...

Why do you insist I must change my faith? It is not fair of any to ask me this. I am no longer comfortable with this discussion. I will not question Allah or his will. I am not allowed to and I do not desire to. You think of me as morally inferior, stupid, closed-minded. These are the messages the Islamic people recieve from the United States on a regular basis. I thought the world was through with social Darwinism, yes? I thought the West had stopped conquering other countries, had stopped their mission work. There is nothing anyone can say or do to convince me to betray my God. Who am I? I am a mere human, a mere woman. Who am I to question Allah? Why should I do such a thing? What benefits could come from doubting my faith? I am proud of who I am and where I come from.

You only read what you wish to read. Right or wrong, it is not my place to judge this law. I am not Afghani. I am not an Afghani official. I am not anyone of any importance.
~assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh~may the peace, mercy, and blessings of Allah be with you~

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:22 am
Jiggity says...

Well, happily enough, the convicted man escaped to Italy and will not suffer from persecution. I find these laws in Afghanistan ridiculous, its such an obvious contradictio to something that is so very clearly stated in the Quran: You cannot force a person to convert. Their conversion would then mean nothing for it didnt come from the heart or pure belief. Basically, this means dont interfere with a person's choice. They can do as they bloody well choose, especially in regards to religion.

Why waste time pondering the madness of extremists? Therye all mental, nothing they say makes sense, thus we do nothing but procrastinate on a tired topic. Then again, when innocents get hurt...ooh this makes me mad. I absolutely HATE IT when people try to enforce their own belief or ideas on others. Especially when they do so with violence, fear, and pain as their methods.

See, Im a religious person, but Im gunna take my mus view on this matter to heart: those idiot extremists who preach are the worst people of the entire lot. So, I wont and indeed no one should, listen to these people. I believ in God, and the living a good life, and fasting, and making the pilgrimage, and praying. And thats all.

Religion causes too much harm in this world. Too many wars have started and too many thousands have died, because of wars instigated in the name of religion.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

459 Reviews

Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:24 am
Poor Imp says...

Khay wrote:You think of me as morally inferior, stupid, closed-minded.

We absolutely do not think you are stupid - not morally inferior. We may question what you have been taught. We might question whether it is good for the human race in general to believe as you do.

Khay wrote:You only read what you wish to read. Right or wrong, it is not my place to judge this law. I am not Afghani. I am not an Afghani official. I am not anyone of any importance.

Everyone is someone of importance. God created the world, if you will, and its people - He made us equal in rights and dignity. If we have reason, a mind - would He have made us so without any point to logic or reason in the world?

Khay wrote:What benefits could come from doubting my faith?

Justice might - if the law is unjust. Don't doubt your God. But look at these laws, at the way the people around you act, and ask if it is indeed God's Law. By reason - are unjust laws God's, or men's?

If you can't discuss any longer, I understand enough to respect that. But I would ask you to think about it; and pray about it, if you're so inclined. God is good. If a man's/woman's soul is most important above all else, it is not in keeping to kill someone in grave sin - that damns him irredeemably.

-Lloyd Alexander

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:32 am
Ego says...

Well put, Imp.

We do not doubt you as a person, nor do we consider you any of the aforementioned adjectives.

You, as a person, are not debated here; currently we're discussing the morality of the killing of this man. We are merely on opposite sides of the arguement. Some people *cough*BOB*cough* should probably realize that and be a bit kinder in their responses.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:00 am
sabradan says...

Life's not fair, Khay. That doesn't mean you should take it out on others.

You do have the right to criticize, to voice your oppinion. But we, too, have that same right, whether you like it or not. Whether you feel it is "Attacking your faith" or not. It is our right to criticize and debate as we see fit-until we are blue in the face, if we so desire-you have no right to silence us or to demand that we stop because you are somehow "insulted". This is America. You have freedom of Speech, and so do we. And, Freedom of Speech can also be defined as "Freedom to be an A$$hole".
The End.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

459 Reviews

Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:03 am
Poor Imp says...

...Though it's not necessarily responsible use of freedom to be an ---hole.

-Lloyd Alexander

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:23 am
sabradan says...

Irrelevant. Whether its responsible or not is neither here nor there. It is what it is.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

459 Reviews

Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:25 am
Poor Imp says...

Agreed.

-Lloyd Alexander

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:10 pm
Sureal says...

Khayriyyah wrote:Why do you insist I must change my faith?

At no point has anyone asked you to change your faith. I have no idea how you came to this conclusion.
I wrote the above just for you.

Remember, a stranger once told you that the breeze here is something worth writing poems about.
— Shinji Moon