54%
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn
27%

Total votes : 26

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:22 am
-KayJuran- says...

I suppose the problem with this debating topic is that everyone tends to be either strongly for or against. i've never met anyone who couldn't tell me straight off what their personal opinion was.

personally i'm vegetarian, so perhaps that tells you something about my thoughts already... YES i AM against fox hunting BUT i wouldn't mind if we (i say 'we' by that i mean people with the stomach to kill an animal) killed for food, for survival, but i see no point in killing foxes. in my mind, it truly is nothing but a blood sport.

no, i have never seen 'what a fox can do to a chicken'. i have heard this argument a thousand times, if not then more. but although i have no more desire for a chicken to suffer than a fox, i do have far more sympathy for the fox. partly because the fox is just trying to survive as is natural in the world, and partly because most chickens are destined to die anyway at the hands of the real 'monsters': us.

seriously though, what is there to stop farmers from building their own defences against foxes, if they're so worried about their chickens. it doesn't take much to make fences deeper or whatever, unless they're worried about financial costs, but hunting would cost a lot anyway i would have thought.

as for the 'fox eating baby' incident, before anyone yells at me, yes i know it was only an example, but it wasn't exactly a very good one. i mean, what was the woman doing leaving a small child alone in a KITCHEN with the door open in the first place? foxes aside for a moment, kitchens are dangerous places; what if the child had got into a cupboard and managed to pour bleach over itself or something??

generally, foxes stay away from humans. they only come after chickens if they need to, i.e. for survival. they are beautiful creatures and i loved seeing them in our garden when i was small (though i haven't seen them recently, they've probably moved someplace else) and i completely AGREE with the ban. we are supposed to be CIVILISED although i do sometimes wonder about that...

kill for survival if you have to; don't try to play God. anyone seen the dodo recently? no? well, i wonder why.

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:06 pm
*Twilight* says...

Fox Hounds are a working dog, why cant they keep as pets? Who the hell wants about 25 fox hounds to KEEP, FEED etc... It costs money which no average person could afford.

I'm sure that there are many farms that need good working dogs and I didn't say that someone has to adopt all of them. Just a few. They might spend a while in a pet adoption agency but they will all be adopted. Here in my area the demand for good working dogs is high.
Hire people to crit your work! Get paid to crit other people's work!
The YWS crit shop: forum/viewtopic.php?t=8018

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:38 am
Swires says...

But a foxhound is exactly what it is, a hound that hunts foxes, I artnsure whether they would be any good for other work, and pus its the amount that is kept by the manor, a manor wont support a pack, they will put them down.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

324 Reviews

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:47 am
-KayJuran- says...

well, then it's the manor's fault for being heartless and cruel.

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:31 am
thegirlwhofateloves says...

Erm...well where I live the hounds live near the stables...and I'm not exactly sure where the manor bit comes in...but hey ho....

KayJuran - to say that fox hunting is heartless and cruel is condemning a good 25% AT LEAST of the population as being evil. So unless you're extremely paranoid, you must know that that doesn't make sense, as very few people are totally evil.

You need to get this in perspective. Foxhunting is partly a blood sport, yes, and the reason some people don't want it abolished is, yes, it is part of their heritage. But actually fox hunting is a necessity, a necessity which has evolved into a big thing in the countryside. People who hunt aren't going out with the attitude of "let's kill the fuckers" - it's more "let's all meet for the hunt - but if we don't get a fox it doesn't matter, because the horses, dogs and us have all got fresh air, exercise, and a bloody good time" - THAT is where the enjoyment comes in. Not the killing, which is where people are getting confused.

Anyway, saying that people who hunt are heartless and cruel is ridiculous - well over half the people I know who hunt (including me) own pets, mainly dogs, that they are completely devoted to, and wouldn't even dream about hurting for the world.

As I've said before, it's all about survival of the fittest - we are the "superior" race. And you have to remember that foxes are not pets.
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

118 Reviews

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:02 pm
*Twilight* says...

Well if they want fresh air and a good time then they can go on hikes. But, the fact that you said that they have a good time doing it proves that it is in a way heartless. If you have a good time killing something that means that you don't care about the living thing that you taking life from. When I say heartless I don't mean that you are a evil and cruel person I mean heartless as in not caring how the foxes feel.
Last edited by *Twilight* on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 44
Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:04 pm
blob says...

I don't dislike, I don't dislike with a pation, I hate those who hunt for a lagh :x . I hate the way they sit on there horses proudly as if they had just slayed a dragon. I dont understand, when my first cat died i cried for weeks, how can they go and kill a potentistial mother of three, or prehaps a young fox who is new to the world and go home at night laghing and sipping tea. "foxes are a nusiance"this prase realy fires me up cs since when did the planet run on what we find annoying. So one day you find a hole in your rubish bag so you decide to wipe foxes of the planet ( by you i dont mean you). Im shore cows find humans annoying seeing as they kill them in there milions for food that gets wasted.

On that note , goodbye
From palistine and proud of it

136 Reviews

Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:40 am

*screams* READ WHAT'S BEEN WRITTEN BY OTHERS BEFORE YOU POST PLEASE!!!

Big up the YWS Massive!

614 Reviews

Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:53 pm
Swires says...

thegirlwhofateloves wrote:*screams* READ WHAT'S BEEN WRITTEN BY OTHERS BEFORE YOU POST PLEASE!!!

SCREAMS AS WELL .

THE DANCING RAT WILL GET YOU.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:50 pm
Eyes says...

But actually fox hunting is a necessity, a necessity which has evolved into a big thing in the countryside. People who hunt aren't going out with the attitude of "let's kill the fuckers" - it's more "let's all meet for the hunt - but if we don't get a fox it doesn't matter, because the horses, dogs and us have all got fresh air, exercise, and a bloody good time" - THAT is where the enjoyment comes in. Not the killing, which is where people are getting confused.

I agree with twilight. If they want to get fresh air, exercise and a good time ride around on the horses surveying our beautiful world instead of chasing a fox cub or vixen across acres of farmland. That is is silly point.

You keep going on about foxes as pets. We live in an area that has a dense fox population and they have been known to befriend humans even allowing some to pet them. Although this is rare it shows that foxes can be capable of affection (even if it is very slight) . They are very similar to dogs and do possess some of the same traits as dogs. Would you chase and tear apart a stray dog? Hopefully not.........Nobody is saying we should start a foxes on leashes campaign but seriously - show some compassion.

136 Reviews

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:21 pm

I have compassion - it's you who's so narrow minded that you think that people who hunt are somehow evil.

It wasn't a 'silly' point - you clearly don't even remotely understand what I am saying, probably because you don't want to.

As for how the foxes 'feel' - well you've clearly watched the Animals of Farthing Wood one too many times...

Foxes are wild creatures (which is where the point that they aren't domestic comes in, eyes).

Big up the YWS Massive!

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:27 pm
Fishr says...

Agreed with thegirlwhofateloves 100% on her last statement.

Mmm... No offense but compairing a dog to a fox is a bit rediculious. Foxes have never been domesticated. At least, I've never read any accounts of such a thing happening. Even in a rehab center for animals, people are wary of a young wild animal. They will always have their natural instincts, and if they feel threatened, they defend themselves or run away.

Let's break this down further, shall we? While foxes are related to dogs, this doesn't mean it's good to 'pet' one, no matter how tame it 'may' seem. Dogs have been domesticated for around a thousand years. Supposaly, humans are related to chimps. So, because the human race has that small connection, am I gonna go out into a jungle and shake hands with a silverback gorilla?

I'll pass, thank you very much. :wink:
Last edited by Fishr on Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

324 Reviews

Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:38 pm
-KayJuran- says...

*shakes head*

i might just have to ignore this thread from now on, or i'll end up screaming at my computer and my family'll think i've gone crazy. *sigh*

614 Reviews

Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:54 am
Swires says...

Foxes are a wild animal, they cant possibley as a whole be domesticated. It is a little silly comparing the two

118 Reviews

Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:31 pm
*Twilight* says...

Okay, foxes do attack livestock. But, not all of them, only the daring ones. I must say that if a fox does attack your livestock then you have the right to shoot them because they will definately come back for more later on. But, going out and hunting every fox just because they might kill your livestock is rediculous. Hunting every fox in sight just because they might kill your livestoc is like killing every dog in your neighborhood just because it might attack you. Don't let one fox give you a bad impression on all of them. I'm tired of hearing that these people who hunt them say it's to control the population they all know that it is just sport and sport alone.

You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts.
— LEGO Batman