z

Young Writers Society

A simple request, all, please listen.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:25 am
Snoink says...

LOL, it looks like you don't belong in Iowa, Qi. I think you would be much more comfortable where I live. It's very... open-minded.

But I suppose you can take what you can get. I'm sure that you can listen to NPR on the web. And remember, some newspapers cost about 30 cents per paper, such as the Wall Street Journal, and are incredibly interesting to read. It's possible to make money for it, if you really want it.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:35 am
Bobo says...

Oh, that reminds me- http://bonusstages.com/bonusstage76.html

There's a comment in that about this very issue that Qi mentioned.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:29 am
Emma says...

Well, yeah... The reason I picked on Qi was because its not just these threads. I just want him to be a little more calm. And yeah, Rei didn't need to say that. Just I hate it when people snap at each other for tiny things. And I don't like it when people do it to me.

And Bobo, thats a cartoon... (which is good) Hey, we do need some laughter mixed in with big headlines about America! xD

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:30 am
Snoink says...

Oh, come on, does it have to be about America? Why can't we talk about New Orleans? It's my favorite state!

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:01 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

I go to a liberal arts college, surrounded by gay/lesbian clubs, which are right after the christian preforming group, which is right befor the sister for sister activist group. Open minded is NOT an issue where I live. Its an issue 20 miles away from where I live, but not in one of the liberal arts centers of the country.

Laundry costs 2.25 a load. I have about 12 loads of clothing. I really can't afford to spend my quarters on the Wall Street Journal, especially since I dont happen to like that particular brand of 'news'
Plus, as I said before, there isn't a news stand around for 500 miles, Im in the middle of Iowa, the closest thing to the Wall Street Journal around here is Will Street's private journal.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:31 pm
Brian says...

It's very... open-minded.

Why can't we talk about New Orleans? It's my favorite state!

I guess open-minded and a good education don't go together where you live?

To assume that an entire area of a country is not open-minded is an incredibly bigoted statement. Not only that, but Iowa has the best public schools in the USA. Compare that with California, which is supposedly open-minded and ranks dead last in public education.

I guess open-minded and a good education don't go together...
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:59 pm
Muse says...

This is scary...i wont bother saying anything in case i get lynched. *runs away*
"Sometimes we see a cloud that's dragonish,
A vapour sometimes like a bear or lion,
A towered citadel, a pendant rock,
A forked mountain, or blue promontory,
With trees upon't that nod unto the world,And mock our eyes with air.."

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:26 am
Snoink says...

Brian wrote:
It's very... open-minded.

Why can't we talk about New Orleans? It's my favorite state!

I guess open-minded and a good education don't go together where you live?

To assume that an entire area of a country is not open-minded is an incredibly bigoted statement. Not only that, but Iowa has the best public schools in the USA. Compare that with California, which is supposedly open-minded and ranks dead last in public education.

I guess open-minded and a good education don't go together...

LOL!

First of all, I was referencing the comic, which I found extremely funny. Kind of long (actually, at points tediously long) but funny on the whole. In one part of the comic, one of the characters starts talks about the news and says something to the effect of, "Why does everyone care about America? Why can't we focus on real human tragedy, such as New Orleans?"

One of the other characters says, "Uh... New Orleans is part of America."

The first character blinks really quickly, obviously not aware of this fact, and then says hastily, "I knew that. New Orleans is my favorite state!" LOL!

And I'm homeschooled/unschooled. I wouldn't take me as a representive of California's school systems, if you know what I mean. ;) And, since I'm in the college level, I find myself looking at universities such as UC Berkeley (astrophysics, yay!), UC Davis (medicine, yay!), and St. Mary's College (business, yay!) I'm beyond high school and all of that. I'm moving on up. So when I look around California's colleges and universities, I am not very disappointed. :P

67 Reviews

Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:09 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

I got offeres for scholarships from st mary's college. Which is funny, because where Im from, the st mary's theres is an all girls school. no boys allowed, but I most definately am a boy. *checks his underwear* yup, definately a guy.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:23 pm
sabradan says...

I was accepted to Bradley, which is a really good private Liberal Arts school, renowned for journalism, which is my major. But it costed too much, and the scholarship I was offered was not enough to pay for it. Thats why I go to a "public" or state University--because I was able to get a full ride scholarship there. w00t.

But yea, Brad, obviously sarcasm is wasted on you....:)
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

67 Reviews

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:56 am
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Sab, you mean brian, not brad. I know, their avvie looks the same. I make the same mistake with midnight and surreal all the time.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved better.
— Anne Lamott