z

Young Writers Society

Hurricane Katrina

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:21 am
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Nate wrote:Thank You Fool :)

Emma and Qi: You both forget that you do not need to comment at all, especially online where one actually has to make an effort to reply rather than in everyday conversation. No one is asking either you to care, just merely that you show respect. If you cannot even show respect, then simply don't leave a comment here. It's that easy...

Its, then, theoretically, just as easy to ignore what someone else said, who supposedly has shown disrespect, though i do not believe i have. By your logic, it doesn't matter.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:12 pm
Sam says...

And besides, like Emma said, it's easier to deal with a really drastic situation like making it lighter. Personally, I don't sit around and mope for days because [insert some place here] got hit by a hurricane. I help the people who do that get out of their funk and send some supplies down or something.

[Emma made the tone sound horrible on MSN, I read it and I wasn't shocked at all. Call me heartless.]
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:41 pm
Midnight says...

I'm shocked by the tone of this thread, they think the death count is well over hundred. Plus thousands have lost their homes and are facing the lives of being refugees and diseases such as cholora (s.p). Dunno makes me F-ing sad more than anything else.
available

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:07 pm
Nate says...

Now they're saying the death count could be in the thousands and that people may not be able to move back in for at least six months. I hope they're exagerrating, but I can definitely believe that high of a death toll. I'm sure very few actually died from Katrina, but there has been many suicides and shootings in its aftermath. Plus, many people who rely on electricity for their medical needs have died.

I was reading somewhere that chlorera is not actually a concern because it's not present in the population.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:51 pm
Shadow Knight says...

The only thing I have to say is; Be grateful that things were not worse, for they could easily be.
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:15 pm
Midnight says...

But apparently the dirty water which at the moment people are having to live in and wade through could help spread it. But then I don't know much about the disease.

Shadow Knight, I think they are as worse as they could possbly be.
available

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:07 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

Yea Shadow I don't see how evacuating an entire city could get much worse, that and it's been practically destroyed. A friend of mine last night said they could have to permanently evacuate the city because they didn't know how to get rid of all that water. He then said it was funny and had ago at me when I said it wasn't. Clearly I don't see the funny side of disasters.

I think its sad when you think about all the homes that have been wrecked - and even though I've never been to New Orleans it looked like such a beautiful place with an interesting history.

Is Hurricane Katrina still going or have the winds stopped?

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:51 pm
Fool says...

It could have been a lot worse, people got out right? And they are alive? it would have been much worse if everyone had died, but they havent, so it is a bad disaster yes, but it can get much worse.

Chlorera is caused by dirty water, but it would not be just stirred up water like the hurricane brought in, it would have to be full of waste and nasty stuff like that before it's any problem, and then you have to drink it. Clean water, i believe is a priority at this time so it's not likely to happen.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

I don't suffer from stress. I am a carrier.

1258 Reviews

Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:40 pm
Sam says...

The pollution's still going to be horrible around New Orleans for a long time though, what with gasline breaks and such. That's the only thing that'll stick.

- Demetri Martin

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:06 pm
yoha_ahoy says...

The death toll is thought to be up to 1000's now. And I heard on the radio that there were places where they were wading through dead bodies to get stranded survivors.
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

1258 Reviews

Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:07 pm
Sam says...

Heard that too.

- Demetri Martin

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:25 pm
Fool says...

Would you like to know something sad i just heard on the news? 1.500 police officers are breaking of the resue in New Orleans to go after looters and gangs. That is sad
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

I don't suffer from stress. I am a carrier.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:47 pm
Emma says...

Ok, that is pretty sad...

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:53 pm
Areida says...

I hadn't gotten to this thread until today, but I can't believe how some people are talking about this. So many people have lost their homes, their jobs, their schools and even their lives. *shakes head*

I heard that there's at least one, possibly more, sharks swimming around out there. That's in addition to the crocodiles, rats and snakes that fill the water right now. The city won't be inhabitable again for months.

Yahoo News wrote:NEW ORLEANS - Fights and fires broke out, corpses lay out in the open, and rescue helicopters and law enforcement officers were shot at as flooded-out New Orleans descended into anarchy Thursday. "This is a desperate SOS," the mayor said.

Anger mounted across the ruined city, with thousands of storm victims increasingly hungry, desperate and tired of waiting for buses to take them out.

"We are out here like pure animals. We don't have help," the Rev. Issac Clark, 68, said outside the New Orleans Convention Center, where corpses lay in the open and the and other evacuees complained that they were dropped off and given nothing — no food, no water, no medicine.

On Wednesday, Mayor Ray Nagin offered the most startling estimate yet of the magnitude of the disaster: Asked how many people died in New Orleans, he said: "Minimum, hundreds. Most likely, thousands." The death toll has already reached at least 126 in Mississippi.

If the estimate proves correct, it would make Katrina the worst natural disaster in the United States since at least the 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire, which was blamed for anywhere from about 500 to 6,000 deaths. Katrina would also be the nation's deadliest hurricane since 1900, when a storm in Galveston, Texas, killed between 6,000 and 12,000 people.

Nagin called for a total evacuation of New Orleans, saying the city had become uninhabitable for the 50,000 to 100,000 who remained behind after the city of nearly a half-million people was ordered cleared out over the weekend.

The mayor said that it will be two or three months before the city is functioning again and that people would not be allowed back into their homes for at least a month or two.

Like Morgan, I'll be praying for everyone's families who were affected.

Nate: Any more news?
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:00 pm
Emma says...

areida07 wrote:I hadn't gotten to this thread until today, but I can't believe how some people are talking about this. So many people have lost their homes, their jobs, their schools and even their lives. *shakes head*

I heard that there's at least one, possibly more, sharks swimming around out there. That's in addition to the crocodiles, rats and snakes that fill the water right now. The city won't be inhabitable again for months.

Yahoo News wrote:NEW ORLEANS - Fights and fires broke out, corpses lay out in the open, and rescue helicopters and law enforcement officers were shot at as flooded-out New Orleans descended into anarchy Thursday. "This is a desperate SOS," the mayor said.

Anger mounted across the ruined city, with thousands of storm victims increasingly hungry, desperate and tired of waiting for buses to take them out.

"We are out here like pure animals. We don't have help," the Rev. Issac Clark, 68, said outside the New Orleans Convention Center, where corpses lay in the open and the and other evacuees complained that they were dropped off and given nothing — no food, no water, no medicine.

On Wednesday, Mayor Ray Nagin offered the most startling estimate yet of the magnitude of the disaster: Asked how many people died in New Orleans, he said: "Minimum, hundreds. Most likely, thousands." The death toll has already reached at least 126 in Mississippi.

If the estimate proves correct, it would make Katrina the worst natural disaster in the United States since at least the 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire, which was blamed for anywhere from about 500 to 6,000 deaths. Katrina would also be the nation's deadliest hurricane since 1900, when a storm in Galveston, Texas, killed between 6,000 and 12,000 people.

Nagin called for a total evacuation of New Orleans, saying the city had become uninhabitable for the 50,000 to 100,000 who remained behind after the city of nearly a half-million people was ordered cleared out over the weekend.

The mayor said that it will be two or three months before the city is functioning again and that people would not be allowed back into their homes for at least a month or two.

Like Morgan, I'll be praying for everyone's families who were affected.

Nate: Any more news?

*gulps*

SHARKS? CROCS? No, that has to be not true?

Knowing that they would be in the waters would scare everyone, wouldn't it be safe not to tell them that they could be in the same waters as such dangerous creatures?

*shudders*

And its pretty sad that people are just saved and dropped off somewhere with no food or proper shelter. Knowing that when they are able to come back to their homes, it might not even be there? And that they might not even have a job...

Mr. Scorpio says productivity is up 2%, and it's all because of my motivational techniques -- like donuts and the possibility of more donuts to come.
— Homer Simpson