z

Young Writers Society

Hurricane Katrina

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:59 pm
Sureal says...

UK is kind of boring. We get bad weather even in the Summer (this years summer has got to be worst I can think of) but other than that...

Wait, we get the occasional flood. Yay!
I wrote the above just for you.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:12 pm
Fool says...

You should have been in North Cornwall last year, i caught the same storm that went through Boscastle, and that was pretty hairy, i was outside looking at the lightning and the thunder... that was a scary night, especially in a tent (i was on holiday at the time) but other than rain, there is not much serious weather, unless your in Scotland, they had a nasty gale in January
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

I don't suffer from stress. I am a carrier.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:49 am
Sureal says...

I remember when it flooded in Marlowe one Winter. All the water froze, so I can go ice skating on the roads 8).
I wrote the above just for you.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:21 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Well, in Nebraska we get......... um.. rashes!! from iowa! and Kansas! because they suck!! or, in a language they might better understand; 10w4 and K45As r teh sux! And you guys dont have to worry about the drastic tempurature changes! one day, 90, next day, 45, next day 102, next day 15. next day 60, next day 97, next day 8, okay, it was EIGHT degrees outside! And you guys dont get a winter one year, that would make santaclause wonder why he chose the north pole, and a winter the next year that makes hawaii look like siberia. Day after christmas last year, it was 75 degrees outside. Yeah, you contimplate that, with your 150 mile an hour winds... occasionally, and your swelteringly confortable summers, and your horrible gentle showers every day that come by and cool everyone off and then leave at just the right time. and your winters so firdged and cold, you actually have to put on a jacket for once. Your on the ocean! where is your humidity?! Well, at least we know how to vote....

A couple of years ago, there was a florida nebraska football game held in Memorial stadium in lincoln. It was about 45 degrees outside, but it was the warmest nebraska had seen in about 5 weeks. So it was obvious who was who, when the florida fans were all bundled up in their heaviest winter jackets, and hats, and cloves, trying to eat their hotdogs before they got iceicles on them, and the nebraska fans who were wearing shorts, and t shirts.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

Random avatar

Reviews: 333
Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:28 am
emotion_less says...

I'm surprised by the tone of this... this isn't just a rain shower... It's a hurricane. So many people lost homes... some people they knew... I don't know anyone there personally, but it's such a terrible thing...

For those people there right now... I hope you're [they're] all okay.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:34 am
Nate says...

I have to say that I'm shocked by the tone of this thread. Here we have a city that will be no longer for at least a month, people dead, and a situation that continues to worsen, and yet nobody here seems to care at all.

Fortunately my Uncle Clay survived, and his house recieved almost no damage. But I have yet to hear from my Uncle Bruce or my Uncle Russel, who both live in Gulfport, which bore a direct hit from the hurricane.

Before anybody else leaves a nonsensical comment about ice skating or how weird air temps can be, lets consider that New Orleans is not a city right now and hundreds of thousands of people have lost everything they had.

But right now, I'm appalled by some of the comments above.

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:53 pm
Chevy says...

Nate: Heh. I was just about to comment on that.

New Orleans is practically underwater. You can only see like the skims of the rooftops. It's pretty sad and I have family there. There's also a flood in Alabama and Mississippi as well. So far, over 100 people have died and in New Orleans in the dome, there are thousands of thousands of people in there with no electricity or anything and they can't get them out because of the water level. They're calling it America's Tsunami. It's pretty intense and also very sad.

Georgia (where I live) was only semi-affected. We had a few tornados and one just a few miles from my house. There was one person that died but other than that, just a quite a bit of damage.
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

67 Reviews

Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:12 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Well, i could have made it heavy, but who needs one more serious person? b'sides, heavy things are harder to carry.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

665 Reviews

Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:36 pm
Chevy says...

Just because heavier things are harder to carry, doesn't mean you have to make it lighter. You don't even have to try to pick it up.

Maybe the Hurricane didn't affect you in any kind of way, but that doesn't mean that we can't take it seriously. I think it's very disrespectful and inconsiderate to make light of any disaster. It's not about being serious. It's about reality.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:27 pm
Emma says...

Yeah, you do have a point, many of us are not affected by this. I don't really know how to react. I'm sorry,

but I would try to make it lighter, but then again I have never been in a situation like that.

You have to positive about this, there's people who are still alive and who have escaped the tornado. Lets worry about them, the might not have a home. Poor guys...

But to be honest not everyone has to care and be worried about these people. Just like the 9/11 I know people who didn't care. Yeah its not their family's in there, so why should the care and be worried?

That's not my thoughts, I'm just saying not everyone is as upset about this like other people who are closer to where there were damage.

I'll shut up now...

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:34 pm
Fool says...

Nate: I'm glad at least one of your uncle's are alright, and i hope you hear from the others soon.

I was merly pointing out an example of a extreme recent weather in Britain. Boscastle was a villiage on the Cornish Coast that was all but swept away in flash flooding, but luckily no one was killed. Over 2 inches of rain fell in an hour, it cannot be as extreme as a hurricane, but was still pretty bad.

I hope no one here loses someone in this disaster, and i offer my deepest syphathies to anyone who does
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

I don't suffer from stress. I am a carrier.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:44 pm
Nate says...

Thank You Fool :)

Emma and Qi: You both forget that you do not need to comment at all, especially online where one actually has to make an effort to reply rather than in everyday conversation. No one is asking either you to care, just merely that you show respect. If you cannot even show respect, then simply don't leave a comment here. It's that easy...

In any case, I still haven't heard from my other two uncles or their families, and it's causing some real anxiety in my family, especially since we've been hearing some horror stories about where they live down in Gulfport. But my guess is that they're fine, although their houses are probably destroyed.

As for New Orleans, the place is finally starting to get better. The water is somewhat receding, though it'll be under water for a couple months. But it should be back in business by Mardi Gras.

665 Reviews

Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:11 pm
Chevy says...

Nate, I'll be praying for your uncles--seriously.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:11 pm
you_really_suck says...

i like in FL and hurricanes are getting on my nerves. i guess i'm used to them now because i don't get freak n e more. as for katrina i hope the ppl in new orleans r going to be ok with all that flooding
Meat is Murder

67 Reviews

Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:22 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Chevy wrote:Just because heavier things are harder to carry, doesn't mean you have to make it lighter. You don't even have to try to pick it up.

Yeah, but making things lighter makes them easier.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

I think I have thankfully avoided being quoted.
— Lavvie