30%
Doctor Who
70%

Total votes : 23

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue May 27, 2008 3:01 pm
Sureal says...

Nah, Doctor Who is riddled with deus ex machinas. They're my biggest complaint with it.

Off the top of my head, I can name four:

-- Rose suddenly becoming a goddess, allowing her to kill all the baddies and bring all the goodies back to life.
-- The nanobots recognising the mother, suddenly allowing them to bring everyone back to life.
-- The Doctor suddenly gaining incredibly powerful pyschic abilites that allow him to reverse the aging that he had undergone and defeat the Master.
-- Destroying the paradox machine reverses the last year or so of events, making it so they happened.
I wrote the above just for you.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Tue May 27, 2008 3:22 pm
deleted6 says...

Sureal wrote:Nah, Doctor Who is riddled with deus ex machinas. They're my biggest complaint with it.

Off the top of my head, I can name four:

-- Rose suddenly becoming a goddess, allowing her to kill all the baddies and bring all the goodies back to life.
-- The nanobots recognising the mother, suddenly allowing them to bring everyone back to life.
-- The Doctor suddenly gaining incredibly powerful pyschic abilites that allow him to reverse the aging that he had undergone and defeat the Master.
-- Destroying the paradox machine reverses the last year or so of events, making it so they happened.

Yeh but still I found them cool. And considering we don't know much about the Tardis it could make sense. Plus the Arc Angel network was ingenius, you forget that he was a timelord so expect some 'wow'. Again links fine with science-fiction. Well consider this a paradox is an impossibility so it stastastically sound.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Tue May 27, 2008 4:01 pm
Aedomir says...

I agree with you both... I think the plots leading up to the Deus Ex Machina are often full of potential, but because the episodes are only 45 mins, they have little choice :-(
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Tue May 27, 2008 5:11 pm
Perra says...

BSG = frak yes! It's amazing, and I love it. I've never watched Doctor Who (although I considered it just so I would have a better chance of remembering BSG was on), so I can't compare them. Not that that's going to stop me from voting BSG. =)
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

Random avatar

Tue May 27, 2008 5:15 pm
deleted6 says...

Question they're too different so how can ya even try to compare them? It's like comparing a Potato with Milk. Impossible.

Now for comparable: try Stargate (Both) and BSG.

And for Dr Who well The 4400 or Primeval.

Hope that clears it up now.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Tue May 27, 2008 6:09 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Nate wrote:Which is better?

By the way, any answer besides Battlestar is wrong.

Oh, Nate. I'm pretty sure there's a blood feud going on somewhere revolving around this question. XD
ohmeohmy

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue May 27, 2008 6:25 pm
Nate says...

Nah, it's comparable. Just witness the fact that the question wasn't even asked until something like the 18th post.

I've tried watching Doctor Who numerous times because I keep hearing good things about it (and people keep trying to tell me it's better than Battlestar). Yet, I've never been able to get into it. It's cheesy.

Like Jack said, I think a lot of people who say they don't like Battlestar just haven't watched it. For instance, a lot of my college friends used to poke fun at me for watching it religiously at 10 pm on Friday nights, until I finally got them to sit down and watch it. I even have my girlfriend into it now, and she hates sci-fi. It's been said time and time again that it's the best drama series on television.

Random avatar

Tue May 27, 2008 6:32 pm
deleted6 says...

Nate wrote:Nah, it's comparable. Just witness the fact that the question wasn't even asked until something like the 18th post.

I've tried watching Doctor Who numerous times because I keep hearing good things about it (and people keep trying to tell me it's better than Battlestar). Yet, I've never been able to get into it. It's cheesy.

Like Jack said, I think a lot of people who say they don't like Battlestar just haven't watched it. For instance, a lot of my college friends used to poke fun at me for watching it religiously at 10 pm on Friday nights, until I finally got them to sit down and watch it. I even have my girlfriend into it now, and she hates sci-fi. It's been said time and time again that it's the best drama series on television.

Well if we're going to be like that. How about I say this: Firefly beats all ;). Heck it's brilliant. And well Dr Who the best hero ever. Sounds like five years old :P. Seasons don't make quality and never seemed my cup of tea to tell the truth, but for Dr Who I love watching that.

Whereas BSG just seems dull. Only a few Sci-Fi I'll watch. The 4400, Primeval, A Town Called Eureka and Dr Who.

But give us a link nate to a show and when I've done editing I'll watch an episode.

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Tue May 27, 2008 7:18 pm
Perra says...

Vernon wrote:Whereas BSG just seems dull.

Battlestar Galactica seems dull to you? A show that contains:

- a major Holocaust on the human race that leaves less than 50,000 people to escape and search for the mythical Earth in hopes of making it their home again and saving the humanity

- human-looking cylons, the majority of whom want to destroy the human race while individuals fall in love with humans (and occasionally have babies with them) or don't want to kill the humans. Not to mention their conflict over whether or not they have souls or are actual living things

- unknown sleeper cylons hidden somewhere amongst the fleet waiting to be triggered/woken up and go through the drama of "Holy frak, I'm a skinjob! No, I refuse to believe it," (skinjob = cylon) and whether or not they'll turn on the fleet

- the word frak

- themes and plots pulled straight from modern-day headlines

- full-fledged political structures and intrigue

- a selfish, narcissistic genius who either has a chip in his head or is very crazy because he sees and has conversations (among other things >.>) with the very sexy Six

- the very sexy Six

- not to mention a whole slew of other great characters (Starbuck, Apollo, Sharon, Roslin, Adama...)

seems dull to you? Really? O.o Why/how so?

Truth be told, I actually have some inner conflict over whether Battlestar Galactica is better than Firefly. XD

There are some season four episodes here. However, there's a good chance you'll be confused about what's going on if you haven't read up on or seen what's happened so far.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Tue May 27, 2008 7:20 pm
Aedomir says...

I agree with Vernon, sorry :-(
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue May 27, 2008 7:23 pm
Sureal says...

Do the cylon's eyes still go zoom, zoom, zoom, back and forth? Cos that was always cool.
I wrote the above just for you.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue May 27, 2008 8:34 pm
Myth says...

I haven't seen the old Battlestar, but the 'new' seasons look great so far. I love how all their papers and boards are octagonal and the name of their planets.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Tue May 27, 2008 8:38 pm
Trident says...

Sureal wrote:Do the cylon's eyes still go zoom, zoom, zoom, back and forth? Cos that was always cool.

Yes, the centurions' do. Plus the raiders.

BSG, obviously. I think it's my favorite show ever made. The writing is really the best I have seen for anything. It's the type of thing I aspire to.
Perception is everything.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed May 28, 2008 10:34 pm
idle muse says...

Difficult...I love both of them. But I think ultimately BSG has to win. It is brilliant.
Religion is the opium of the masses
- Karl Marx -
Democracy is the worst form of goverment, except for all the others that have been tried.
- Winston Churchill -

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Thu May 29, 2008 3:01 am
Alteran says...

I pick docotor Who, Just cause it makes me happy. I like BSG too, the old and new, but it's so serious and depressing till Dr. Who is a wonderful change. Plus I like all the completely odd story twists and plot lines in it.

You guys complain about the Dues Ex Machina, but I mean come on, he travels through time in a police telephone box....I think it started off pretty out there.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

Alexa, are there European frat boys
— Carina