z

Young Writers Society

33 Dead in College Shooting

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:02 am
niteowl says...

HeadInTheClouds wrote:The worst thing about this, I think, is that most of it could have been prevented. I mean why didn't they put the school into lockdown immediately after the first killing occured?

I'm not sure how effective a lockdown would be on a college campus with 26,000 students. When I was in middle school, a parent saw a guy with a gun at the high school and freaked out. One building on the three-school, four-building campus was put on lockdown. The other schools didn't even know about the lockdown. Luckily, it was just a physics teacher with a BB gun that he was going to use for a demonstration. But if people can't pull off keeping 5,000 high school students locked down, how are they going to protect a big college?
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:31 am
sabradan says...

Firestarter wrote:How these shootings keep happening in the US is horrific.

Guns should be banned. Although, I suppose that's not the real problem. There are other countries with similar gun laws that don't experience the same problems, and banning guns doesn't stop gun crime. I wonder what the real root of all this is.

Its not the guns/availabilty of guns. Because when you think about it, more Americans own guns than don't, and percentage-wise, from Gun-Owning Americans to violent shootings ratio is actually lower than you would assume from the amount of people who own guns. Unfortunately, it is still dreadfully high. :(
Its times like these that I wish America has an approach more like Israel: Every citizen is armed, or at least the ability to be armed. Thus, shootings are minimal, because people know if sh*t goes down, there will be about 5 people (at least) who will pull out thier gun and shoot said person in the head. :)
....In case you couldn't tell, yes, I am an advocate of arming all citizens.

"A man with a gun is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject"
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:55 am
Nate says...

Lets not turn this into a debate on gun control. That's better suited for another time.

I heard about this first earlier today, but didn't think it was nearly this bad. As the day wore on, more details emerged.

Something like this is just so shocking that I think I'm just emotionally stunned right now. I know Blacksburg, VA as the nearest place to Washington, DC with a Sonic, but I don't see how I could ever travel down there again for quite some time. A lot of my friends went to VA Tech (all graduated now), so I visited the campus a number of times.

I really don't know what to think right now. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected. My hope is that this does not lead to copy-cat shootings, which is what happened after the Columbine High-School massacre.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:09 am
Via says...

For all those who are interested....

The plan for tomorrow is a Day of Rememberance. Tomorrow, April 17, wear maroon and orange ribbons or shirts to remember those victims of Virginia Tech. We want VTU to know that the world is thinking of them. Please spread the word.

"Forget any and all college affiliations today. For today, we are all Hokies."
-Russell Denney
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:16 am
Emerson says...

I have no maroon or orange ribbons/clothes... I'll have to find something more suitable.

(Yes... I noticed this starting to become debated, and got worried. I didn't know it would end up as such ><)
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

147 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:27 am
sabradan says...

Sorry, I just hate it when people act ignorant and start making claims that somehow owning a gun=shootings like columbine or this one. I don't know the cause, but I know banning guns isn't the answer.

Anyway, in my first post I completely forgot to mention that the deceased and thier families will be in my thoughts and prayers. And I will wear orange tomorrow. Good idea!

A really freaky thing about this is a girl in my mythology class was there visiting over the weekend, and today, the day after she gets back, its gets shot up. :( Thats what you call a close call.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

694 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:28 am
Via says...

I don't have any maroon clothes either, I am just wearing a red jacket . I made a ribbon out of orange colored paper--just cut a strip and made it into a ribbon.

Yes, please don't debate this. Maybe we could make a seperate thread for a gun control debate in the debate and serious discussion forum, but this is not a topic to be debated here--it is disrespectful.

147 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:21 am
sabradan says...

I don't believe that debate is in and of itself disrespectful, but due to the nature of the issue and how these debates normally get, I will refrain from debating in this thread. However, writeme, I do not appreciate being told how to behave.

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:34 am
Emerson says...

Eh, Cut it out, it doesn't matter. It's the internet, no fights.

I'm wearing the closest thing I have to red/orange. A yellow MSSU shirt. Which makes me feel kind of bad -_- it's a shirt from another college but...close enough.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

694 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:06 pm
Via says...

Update: They have identified the shooter as Cho Seung-Hui and his weapons as a .9 mm and .22 mm handguns.

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:13 pm
Alainna says...

I turned on the radio when I got up this morning and there was a news report on it. I nearly got back into bed just to scream into a pillow.

I don't understand how someone could do something like that.
All those innocent people...it makes you feel sick!

Alainna
xxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

147 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:12 pm
sabradan says...

write me wrote:Update: They have identified the shooter as Cho Seung-Hui and his weapons as a .9 mm and .22 mm handguns.

Well, they identified the weapons last night. But the shooter this morning. :(
Its such a shame. Oh, and just fyi, you can't have a .22 mm round. Its .22 caliber. And a 9mm. How sad.

Even worse is all last night, on the "men" group on Facebook, we were discussing just this, and one guy who supposedly had "insider information" from freinds who go to Tech supposedly IDed the shooter for us, except, well, it was the WRONG guy. Some Chinese guy who is well, you know, still alive. He's recieved death threats, etc. Oh how the Noble (America) fall...

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

694 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:18 pm
Via says...

Yea, I'm not up on how to write the different types of guns...but I figured you all got the point.

I know! I saw that on facebook last night, they actually identified TWO wrong guys. James Jay Kim and some other random guy who had a picture with a bunch of rifles. It just goes to show you how rumors can destroy lives.

147 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:43 pm
sabradan says...

write me wrote:Yea, I'm not up on how to write the different types of guns...but I figured you all got the point.

I know! I saw that on facebook last night, they actually identified TWO wrong guys. James Jay Kim and some other random guy who had a picture with a bunch of rifles. It just goes to show you how rumors can destroy lives.

The other guy was Wayne Chiang. How much you wanna bet these guys' lives are ruined, or close to it, do to some punk who probably figures "Oh one of dem chinese is the same as the other" muck racking, or at the very least, not knowing when to shut up and not speak without concrete information, said crap that he shouldn't have, especially since it was false.

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

694 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:51 pm
Via says...

I know...how horrible is that? I don't think they should have even said they thought it was an asian male until they released his identity.

Revision is one of the exquisite pleasures of writing.
— Bernard Malamud