z

Young Writers Society

Writing As A Career

Do you want to be a full time writer eventually?

Definetely!
35%
Maybe, but I'm going to have a back up plan
41%
I'll always write, but it's not going to take center stage in my life.
22%
Writing is just a hobby for me
2%

Total votes : 51

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:17 am
MagnusBane says...

Right now I'm leaning towards working with horses and writing on the side. Neither job is probably ever going to make me rich, but at least I'll be doing what I love. That's the most important thing, right?
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:52 am
Lucinda says...

I think it would be really amazing to work in a book store like Borders while I'm writing on the side. I mean, what could be better for a career in writing than being surrounded by books? You'd get to see what was popular, what would be coming out in the future, all sorts of things. :)
I just wonder how much it pays...
The history of the world
My pet
Is learn forgiveness
And try to forget!

-Sweeney Todd

I'm a damsel...
I'm in distress...
I can handle it.
Have a nice day.

-Hercules

Masquerade!
Paper faces on parade
Masquerade
Hide your face so the world can never find you.

-The Phantom of the Opera

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:09 pm
fhwdf says...

Exactly the take my dad has on life! He's a bookseller but also a writer. Personally, I don't know what I'm going to do, but there'll definitely be novels, lots of them, and soon (hopefully...)
"What if, doctor, we need these knots and these tangles because they're the only things holding our souls down - and if we untied the knots and untangled the tangles and stretched them out ... would our souls just float away?"
~Luke Kennard, A Practical Course in Entry Level Expressionism

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:21 pm
Blink says...

I'm not sure what degree I'll take, but in any case it'll probably involve at least a conversion year to become a solicitor or lawyer or something. Maybe French or Psychology, Economics, even. I don't really know.

Whatever happens, I will be a novelist. Whatever. Happens. I want to be published before I leave university, and that's a big commitment to make but it's one I'll strive to see through. My nan's not helping, mind, saying that successful writers are one in a million. I remind her, however, that if that is the case, there are sixty others in the country. :wink:

Meh. It's much more likely that in ten years time I'll be homeless. XD
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:53 pm
MagnusBane says...

Homeless doesn't sound too bad. You could write your stories on the side of your cardboard box. :)
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:39 am
Talulahbelle says...

I would love to write full-time and get paid to do it. Like Henry Thoughrou (I have no idea how to spell it)! He spent two years in a cabin, hardly ever leaving or seeing anyone, just writing! That's the life!
Fortunately, I want to be an English teacher! I can get a degree in english, teach other people to love literature, and maybe have the time to write! :elephant:
I go to seek a Great Perhaps...

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:58 pm
J. Wilder says...

I don't get the point of majoring in English to be a writer. If you want to write, write--there's no need to pay thousands of dollars a year for classes. If you want to be a writer and want to go to college, you might as well major in something that might help you get a good "day job."

Nate wrote:I'd highly suggest to everyone to go to University. In this day and age, not going is a not smart thing to do.

Going into debt thousands of dollars is not a smart thing to do either.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:50 pm
Snoink says...

J. Wilder wrote:I don't get the point of majoring in English to be a writer. If you want to write, write--there's no need to pay thousands of dollars a year for classes. If you want to be a writer and want to go to college, you might as well major in something that might help you get a good "day job."

Nate wrote:I'd highly suggest to everyone to go to University. In this day and age, not going is a not smart thing to do.

Going into debt thousands of dollars is not a smart thing to do either.

The idea is you'll be able to pay off your debt in a position that you love. ;D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:41 pm
PhoenixBishop says...

I don't get the point of majoring in English to be a writer. If you want to write, write--there's no need to pay thousands of dollars a year for classes. If you want to be a writer and want to go to college, you might as well major in something that might help you get a good "day job."

The idea is to improve your writing and learn different techniques. Just writing doesn't make up for the years of studies that English majors take. No one is so talented they can write a bestseller novel with out the proper studies.

Well of course their are exceptions, but if you want to write really good stuff then you best study the art. Do musicians just play their instruments and take no classes? No. (And I'm talking about those big orchestra type bands.)

Anyway would like to have a day job, even if I make enough to live off my books alone. I couldn't imagine being in my house all the time. I'm going to be a teacher.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:58 pm
Lia says...

I don't know when I realized that this was what I wanted to do with my life but I am more than certain that I would fight with all I have to make it. Of course, I have back-up plans as well since I will be a qualified English Teacher + Translator after I finish College. ^_^

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:23 pm
Teague says...

Actually, English majors are highly sought after in business. They need people who are capable of writing well. So it's not just for being a writer.

>_>
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:13 am
mashe says...

Well, I've been in the writing profession for three years now. It is not lucrative a career to take on but nothing pays you more than the feeling of doing what you love. Never again would i trade my career for a job that promises you the world, but leaves you empty in the end.

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:41 pm
Hippie says...

Couldn't agree more Mashe. Even if it means having to scrape a meagre existence, I wouldn't want any other job.
Q: Where do you go to buy shoes?

A: At the shoez canal, lol.

How odd I can have all this inside me and to you it’s just words.
— David Foster Wallace