z

Young Writers Society

Day of Silence

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:10 am
Doctor Kitty says...

Tomorrow (Friday the 25th) is the Day of Silence. It is a silent protest against hate crime. It is en memoriam of Lawrence King, shot dead because he wasn't afraid to be himself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.O._Green_School_shooting

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:52 pm
Gahks says...

Really? Never knew that before!

Learn something new everyday, eh? ;)
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:55 pm
Cade says...

Go Day of Silence! I participated last year and I had a bunch of friends do it this year. My problem is keeping my mouth shut...I kept accidentally saying 'hi' to people.

What will YOU do to break the silence?
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:06 pm
Perra says...

I did this last year, but I couldn't this year because was I home all day. :/ However, I have a ton of friends who participated. 'Tis awesome.

A legal group turned around and created the Day of Truth to counter the DoS. While they're free to speak their minds, they kind of missed the whole point of the DoS...Silly people....
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Sat May 03, 2008 3:49 am
Fireweed says...

I participated! W00t for Day of Silence-rs.

Hate crime makes me so sick... there have been other incidents where people have been killed or attacked for no other reason than being openly gay.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Sat May 03, 2008 6:31 pm
aestar101 says...

I participated at my school. Not much people in my grade did it. Most kids in my grade are very unsenitive to people who are different.
Character is what you have left when you've lost everything you can lose. - Evan Esar
Like my opinions a lot? Let me critique you. topic29146.html

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sat May 10, 2008 4:38 pm
khfan890 says...

That kid doesn't look fifteen. But seriously, a hate crime?!?!?! How "pc" (politically correct) can the world get? Not that I agree with the murder aspect of it, but that's what it is. Murder. Not a "hate crime". Murder is murder regardless of the reason. This is basically another reason for some idiot in California to come up with a new class about "tolerance and diversity", except for the Christians!! Them we cannot tolerate!

Who did we have a day of silence for last year? The Rutgers girls that Don Imus called "nappy-headed hos"?

Tomorrow (Friday the 25th) is the Day of Silence. It is a silent protest against hate crime. It is en memoriam of Lawrence King, shot dead because he wasn't afraid to be himself.

In this day and age, unless you're a white, heterosexual male, being yourself isn't exactly a daring feat. And what was this kid thinking, asking another boy to be his valentine when the boy was straight?
Death is no respecter of persons. Just felt like saying that.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Sat May 10, 2008 5:09 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

Day of Truth wrote:I'm speaking the Truth to break the silence.
True tolerance means that people with differing -- even opposing -- viewpoints can freely exchange ideas and respectfully listen to each other.
It's time for an honest conversation about homosexuality.
There's freedom to change if you want to.
Let’s talk.

Haha. What a joke. No wonder I heard nothing about the Day of Truth. Just look at the second to last line. Christians are hilarious. Though they do make some good points here and there, they have ultimately missed the big point.

khfan wrote:In this day and age, unless you're a white, heterosexual male, being yourself isn't exactly a daring feat. And what was this kid thinking, asking another boy to be his valentine when the boy was straight?

I'm not sure I understand the meaning of your first sentence, but as to the second: The kid was 15. Fifteen. Not old enough to have developed proper judgment. The brain doesn't finish developing until 25. Chalk it up to the boy being naive and perhaps his parents not explaining how things work to him.

Would that kid who shot him, who obviously had some problems of his own, done the same if Lawrence was straight and had given it to him as a joke? What if it was a girl giving it to him? It all comes down to Lawrence being gay, and the shooter being, most likely, mentally unstable.

This is basically another reason for some idiot in California to come up with a new class about "tolerance and diversity", except for the Christians!! Them we cannot tolerate!

What?

33 Reviews

Sat May 10, 2008 7:47 pm
khfan890 says...

khfan wrote:
In this day and age, unless you're a white, heterosexual male, being yourself isn't exactly a daring feat. And what was this kid thinking, asking another boy to be his valentine when the boy was straight?

I'm not sure I understand the meaning of your first sentence, but as to the second: The kid was 15. Fifteen. Not old enough to have developed proper judgment. The brain doesn't finish developing until 25. Chalk it up to the boy being naive and perhaps his parents not explaining how things work to him.

Would that kid who shot him, who obviously had some problems of his own, done the same if Lawrence was straight and had given it to him as a joke? What if it was a girl giving it to him? It all comes down to Lawrence being gay, and the shooter being, most likely, mentally unstable.

I don't know if I did that right, because I can only ever manage to put one quote in the box, but anyway... Liberals basically never come to the defense of a white, heterosexual male. ACLU types always come to the aid of gays, feminists, blacks, hispanics, etc. Not white, heterosexual men.

As for the part about the kid being fifteen, I'm sixteen and I have more sense than that. And I think the other kid might be able to tell if Lawrence was being serious or not (and maybe he wasn't being serious and he did it as a joke, which would be really gross). Again, I don't support what the kid did to Lawrence, and with no doubt, anybody who grabs a gun over something like that needs to be punished. I don't know that I'd say "mentally unstable", just "stupid" and "mean". Some of these words are so overused these days.

Quote:
This is basically another reason for some idiot in California to come up with a new class about "tolerance and diversity", except for the Christians!! Them we cannot tolerate!

What?

Everytime something like this happens, some legislator out in California thinks they need to come rushing to the platform with new laws about gay tolerance in schools and everything. It's nothing more than to push their agenda. And I mean they'll do this for anybody but the Christians. That is one group they don't mind being intolerant of.

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sat May 10, 2008 8:53 pm
Perra says...

khfan890 wrote:Who did we have a day of silence for last year? The Rutgers girls that Don Imus called "nappy-headed hos"?

That's a bit bigoted and offensive. The Day of Silence was started by students in Virginia as a non-violent protest against intolerance, specifically the "name-calling, bullying and harassment -- in effect, the silencing -- experienced by LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) students and their allies" (Day of Silence Website). It grew in popularity because students, not ACLU-type, California liberals, believed in the Day of Silence and what it stands for. It's still a student-led, international event. And last year's wasn't dedicated to anyone specific, if I remember correctly...

khfan890 wrote:Liberals basically never come to the defense of a white, heterosexual male. ACLU types always come to the aid of gays, feminists, blacks, hispanics, etc. Not white, heterosexual men.

My thoughts are that liberals like me want freedom for all people regardless of our differences, including race, religion, and sexual orientation. White, Christian, heterosexual men have had the upper hand (and majority) for centuries. In the struggle to achieve equality for all, minority groups get compared the majority (usually Caucasians, the specifications of 'heterosexual', 'Christian', and 'male' depending on the issue). With so many issues, this can look like an attack on the majority, and, occasionally, the equality of the majority may indeed be forgotten. It's sad when that happens, but I hope that the equality of the majority will be remembered as the discussions of the issues continues.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

33 Reviews

Sun May 11, 2008 1:19 am
khfan890 says...

That's a bit bigoted and offensive. The Day of Silence was started by students in Virginia as a non-violent protest against intolerance, specifically the "name-calling, bullying and harassment -- in effect, the silencing -- experienced by LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) students and their allies" (Day of Silence Website). It grew in popularity because students, not ACLU-type, California liberals, believed in the Day of Silence and what it stands for. It's still a student-led, international event. And last year's wasn't dedicated to anyone specific, if I remember correctly...

Well, so long as they're against the "bullying and harassment", then I think the shooter had a right to be against the sexual harassment that boy put him through. Flirting, chasing him, etc. That would get on my nerves too if somebody in high heels and lipstick and everything came running after me, and it was a boy. Not saying what the kid did was right, he probably should have just beat Laurence up. And this hate crime aspect of it. Well, people don't murder each other out of love, as somebody said. So that's absurd. People can be quiet if they want to; I don't care. That's one less day for them to carry on about "hate crimes".

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun May 11, 2008 2:16 am
Periwinkle says...

khfan890 wrote:

Well, so long as they're against the "bullying and harassment", then I think the shooter had a right to be against the sexual harassment that boy put him through. Flirting, chasing him, etc. That would get on my nerves too if somebody in high heels and lipstick and everything came running after me, and it was a boy. Not saying what the kid did was right, he probably should have just beat Laurence up. And this hate crime aspect of it. Well, people don't murder each other out of love, as somebody said. So that's absurd. People can be quiet if they want to; I don't care. That's one less day for them to carry on about "hate crimes".

You completely contradicted yourself. You say "they should take the hate crime aspect" out of it, but you say it was perfectly okay for the boy to beat up the guy because he was pursuing a romantic relationship with him? That doesn't sound like a hate crime at all... :roll:
Maybe you should kiss someone nice or lick a rock, or both - Regina Spektor

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun May 11, 2008 1:35 pm
idle muse says...

Well, so long as they're against the "bullying and harassment", then I think the shooter had a right to be against the sexual harassment that boy put him through. Flirting, chasing him, etc. That would get on my nerves too if somebody in high heels and lipstick and everything came running after me, and it was a boy. Not saying what the kid did was right, he probably should have just beat Laurence up.

What. The. Hell. Last time I checked, people can wear whatever they want in the United States, and asking someone on a date wasn't a crime. Nobody deserves to get beaten up just because they're gay and open about it. Nobody deserves to get shot in the head ever.
Religion is the opium of the masses
- Karl Marx -
Democracy is the worst form of goverment, except for all the others that have been tried.
- Winston Churchill -

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sun May 11, 2008 2:15 pm
deleted6 says...

idle muse wrote:
Well, so long as they're against the "bullying and harassment", then I think the shooter had a right to be against the sexual harassment that boy put him through. Flirting, chasing him, etc. That would get on my nerves too if somebody in high heels and lipstick and everything came running after me, and it was a boy. Not saying what the kid did was right, he probably should have just beat Laurence up.

What. The. Heck. Last time I checked, people can wear whatever they want in the United States, and asking someone on a date wasn't a crime. Nobody deserves to get beaten up just because they're gay and open about it. Nobody deserves to get shot in the head ever.

You're cruel. How ya know he was so forceful, and even judging him on his sexuality. It's people like ya that make crime like this not be treated. So what if he loved the boy, that gives no reason to shoot him in the blooming head. People are gay, end of story. Stop acting like it's a crime or even wrong. A person blooming died because he was gay. That's a hate crime.

And for the part before, I don't see much hetrosexual white people suffer like the minorities. All the boy had to say was 'NO!' not to shoot the poor kid. Quit being judgemental.

----------------
Listening to: Les Misérables - Look Down
via FoxyTunes
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun May 11, 2008 3:28 pm
Snoink says...

1) No swearing.

2) This is not the debate forum.

3) This is completely pointless.

**LOCKED**
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
— Jules de Gaultier