z

Young Writers Society

The ultimate act of self-sacrifice that no one noticed.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:14 pm
deleted6 says...

Look at the link on this site http://www.savagesound.com/gallery99.htm.
I read about this guy in the Guardian he lit himself on fire now before you go why am i talking about this well it is because.

To motorists on Chicago's Kennedy expressway on the morning of November 3, the fire was just an annoyance, slowing their journey into work. It appeared as if someone had set the city's sculpture of a giant flame, which stands by the road, on fire. Most of those commuters didn't hear for some time that it wasn't the sculpture on fire, but a 52-year-old anti-war protester, Malachi Ritscher. Many probably never heard about it.

The ultimate act of self-sacrifice that no one noticed

Emine Saner
Thursday November 30, 2006
The Guardian

To motorists on Chicago's Kennedy expressway on the morning of November 3, the fire was just an annoyance, slowing their journey into work. It appeared as if someone had set the city's sculpture of a giant flame, which stands by the road, on fire. Most of those commuters didn't hear for some time that it wasn't the sculpture on fire, but a 52-year-old anti-war protester, Malachi Ritscher. Many probably never heard about it.

Article continues
Ritscher's death, four days before the American mid-term elections, wasn't the shocking, national news story he had hoped it would be when he doused himself in petrol and set himself alight, next to a video camera and a small sign reading, "Thou shalt not kill." It hardly made a ripple in Chicago's mainstream media until an alternative newspaper picked it up. Nationally and internationally, his death has gone virtually unnoticed.

the rest in on here http://www.guardian.co.uk/antiwar/story ... 24,00.html
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:25 pm
Trident says...

He was right that many in America (and across the world as well) are unconcerned about the world's future and more concerned about sports and cell phones. I suppose this was really the only way he would get recognition. However, anyone who sets himself on fire to protest something seriously has some problems, no matter how coherent they are in their ramblings. Setting oneself on fire to protest something doesn't make people think about the issue at hand (Iraq War), it just makes people think of how crazy this world is and then distance themselves even more from that insanity. Hence you're really having the opposite effect.
Perception is everything.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:31 pm
gyrfalcon says...

I kinda agree with Trident on this one. There are better, less harmful ways to protest something you disagree with.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

Random avatar

Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:37 pm
deleted6 says...

I disagree with him self burning himself but what i find horrifying is no one noticed him.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:30 pm
Nate says...

I'm sure his family and friends noticed. Suicides just generally do not make the news.

I wouldn't call that the ultimate self-sacrifice. The ultimate self-sacrifice is devoting your entire life to those less fortunate for you; the most prominent modern example would probably be Mother Theresa in that regard.

Random avatar

Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:34 pm
deleted6 says...

It what the paper called it i just used the paper title.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:49 pm
Nate says...

Siegfried wrote:It what the paper called it i just used the paper title.

Aye, I know :P

I wonder what this guy was like before he did this.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:57 pm
Teufelshund says...

I personally think that this man was mentally ill or disturbed.

Killing oneself by fire for no apparent cause ['thou shall not kill' is pretty ambiguous] in a tunnel is a stupid idea and an ineffective way to protest.

How did this man think he could effect the mind of a President and an entire nation when people twenty feet away didn't notice/care?

If I was a protesting man, I would've done this in front of the White House or som other place were an impact actually could be made.

Like I said earlier, the man's poster painted a broad brush...I didn't read the article, so I'm not really informed, but how do people really know he was protesting Iraq?
Could've been a meaningless suicide by a deranged man.
Semper Fidelis

"If I became a philosopher, if I have so keenly sought this fame for which I'm still waiting, it's all been to seduce women basically. "

-Jean-Paul Sartre

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:59 am
Pushca says...

i agree with nate about this not really being the ultimate self-sacrifice. and it is a pretty stupid way to protest. hurting yourself to hurt others, except there isn't a reason why those others would care.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:20 am
Via says...

I admire his devotion to his beliefs.

But, there are better ways to protest than to set yourself on fire. Furthermore, if you kill yourself how is that supposed to help your cause if you are no longer around to defend it?

It kind of sounds to me like he didn't really think this through too well. Or, as mentioned above, was mentally ill.

It also kind of sounds like he was being hypocritical, "Thou shalt not kill." ...?
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:30 pm
Unrecompensed says...

Passive resistance does little in the way of results. Even Mandella realised this. I think it'd sad that his act was ignored and unseen.

Furthermore, if you kill yourself how is that supposed to help your cause if you are no longer around to defend it?

It kind of sounds to me like he didn't really think this through too well. Or, as mentioned above, was mentally ill.

I think you're missing the point. Think about it.

- FoY
Merry Jesus-was-born Day

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:45 pm
sabradan says...

His methods were stupid. Trust me, I live in Chicago. Trust me, the only thing people care about on ANY of the expressways (Kennedy, Dan Ryan, Ike, etc) is to make sure they take the route with the least possible traffic to get to work/school/etc on time.
His message may be good, but doing it on or near the Kennedy Expwy was stupid, because no one will notice because they're too busy honking their horns, shouting expletives at other drivers, or cutting each otehr off while going double the speed limit.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

Sometimes poetry is inspired by the conversation entered into by reading other poems.
— John Barton