I started when I was 15! I had a really rough time my Sophomore year of high school, and writing became my emotional release. Now, I'm a graduate student studying fiction writing.
Hmm... I started writing terrible stories around 7-9. I can't really remember. I was really into books and wanted to write fanfiction, and so it all began. I can safely say that I'm a much better writer than I was then.
I started a twelve, so I've been writing for about three years?
A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed ~Second Amendment.
This is sort of difficult for me to answer. I've been writing for as long as I can remember. I remember writing lots and lots of little stories in elementary school (which are amazing to read now!) I think it was junior high (so between the ages of 11 and 13) that I started trying to write novels. I didn't finish any of them, they typically lacked plot, and/or were copy-cats of my favorite books. I believe this is when I first started thinking about how it would be cool to be published.
I started taking writing a little more seriously in high school, but it was sort of the same as middle school. My ideas got a little better and I started to develop my voice, but I wasn't anything great and didn't finish anything. I believe in high school was when I really solidified my dream of becoming published someday. This is also when I made the shift from writing to write and writing to express myself.
It wasn't until college that I started writing seriously and started taking my publishing dream seriously. I finished my first novel the summer after my freshman year of college and have finished four to date.
So technically, I began writing young. Basically as soon as I learned how, I was writing. But I didn't start writing with the intent to be published until college.
(Still working on that publishing dream!)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
I started writing when I was around 7 or 8 and I wrote a "book" called: Pearls War Story: Round 1. Which is actually a series I'm writing today, but the title is The Descendant of Gloss and is obviously a lot better! I know this is embarrassing, but I actually re-wrote the first Harry Potter book when I was around the age of 9...and started on the second one but never finished. The second one was far more embarrassing than the first because I somehow made it possible that Ron was the heir of Slytherin and that Harry had a sister...it was ridiculous but I had fun writing it so I suppose that's all that matters.
I started wrighting in the 2nd grade so I believe I was around 6-7 years old. I read a novel called In the Forests of the Night by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. She inspired to start writing and I have been doing so ever since.
Last edited by writer97 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be who you were created to be, and you will set the world on fire." -Saint Catherine of Sienna
I've been writing since I was born, my first writing is still stuffed in a baby book somewhere. I started writing seriously last year, which would've made me 18. But this site is my first venture into actually sharing any of my work with anyone, I have 10+ stories written that are so bad that I plan to keep them to myself forever
tiger that's not possible. You didn't even know how to speak when you were born. Maybe when you were 2 you could've written, but certainly not before the age of one. I've been writing since i was little (like 5 or 6), but i only started it seriously when I was eight, when I read 'Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief'. that inspired me to write my own stuff. I won a couple of competitions last year, so i wanted to share my stuff with other people who have had more experience than me at writing. So i joined YWS six weeks ago
I wonder if people felt the freedom in our culture to love louder, if they'd be quicker to say "I miss you" when the absence of someone is felt instead of just thinking it. — soundofmind