z

Young Writers Society

Phylisofical question: Turning lead into gold

If we found a way to turn lead into gold, should we do it?

Yes
14%
No
86%

Total votes : 7

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:45 pm
Dynamo says...

If us humans discovered a way to change lead into gold, should this discovery be exploited? It would solve many of our current economical problems, but it may also lead to the breakdown of our system because there will be too much money. What do you think?
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:34 pm
Bobo says...

If we had more gold, gold would lose some of its value. Thus, it's pretty much pointless to turn anything into gold.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:15 pm
Sureal says...

As Bobo said, we'd just have some extreme inflation. Gold would be worth very little in the end.

It wouldn't damage our economy, as we don't use gold as currency.
I wrote the above just for you.

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:46 am
Bjorn says...

I say to hell with it-use it. That way we poor and 'middle-class' people (its starting to seem like just rich and poor more and more) can wear many more prrty und shiny things. I personally don't wear anything (except clothes and a ten dollar watch), but I'm not talking for myself. This is assuming it was made available to the public, but living in a capitalist society, it would maybe make its way to the public in the very far future (come on, they have cars running on water, but of course some billion dollar gas company buys the cell, and therefore ensures the existence and continuance of the company). But then if it were found, people might go out of control (as with everything that is in abundance i.e. trees, fish, fuel etc.) with it, and soon we would have a shortage of lead! Which of course is still an important metal. Now I am no whiz in the ways of economics (and in fact don't really care for it) so I can't say how having this much gold will help *blank* people/countries/entities, one thing is for sure that things made of gold will go down in price, and be ever the more present around us, but will it make countries anymore richer? I don't know. Sure as hell it wouldn't be on anyones trading list (unless it's in its finished form).
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:52 am
Snoink says...

We already HAVE done it. Modern chemistry is indeed amazing.

Turning Lead into Gold
From Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.,

Is Alchemy Real?

Before Chemistry was a science, there was Alchemy. One of the supreme quests of alchemy is to transmute lead into gold. Lead (atomic number 82) and gold (atomic number 79) are defined as elements by the number of protons they possess. Changing the element requires changing the atomic (proton) number. The number of protons cannot be altered by any chemical means. However, physics may be used to add or remove protons and thereby change one element into another. Because lead is stable, forcing it to release three protons requires a vast input of energy, such that the cost of transmuting it greatly surpasses the value of the resulting gold.

Transmutation of lead into gold isn't just theoretically possible - it has been achieved! There are reports that Glenn Seaborg, 1951 Nobel Laureate in Chemistry, succeeded in transmuting a minute quantity of lead (possibly en route from bismuth, in 1980) into gold.

There is an earlier report (1972) in which Soviet physicists at a nuclear research facility near Lake Baikal in Siberia accidentally discovered a reaction for turning lead into gold when they found the lead shielding of an experimental reactor had changed to gold.

Today particle accelerators routinely transmute elements. A charged particle is accelerated using electrical and/or magnetic fields. In a linear accelerator, the charged particles drift through a series of charged tubes separated by gaps. Every time the particle emerges between gaps, it is accelerated by the potential difference between adjacent segments. In a circular accelerator, magnetic fields accelerate particles moving in circular paths. In either case, the accelerated particle impacts a target material, potentially knocking free protons or neutrons and making a new element or isotope. Nuclear reactors also may used for creating elements, although the conditions are less controlled.

In nature, new elements are created by adding protons and neutrons to hydrogen atoms within the nuclear reactor of a star, producing increasingly heavier elements, up to iron (atomic number 26). This process is called nucleosynthesis. Elements heavier than iron are formed in the stellar explosion of a supernova. In a supernova gold may be made into lead, but not the other way around.

While it may never be commonplace to transmute lead into gold, it is practical to obtain gold from lead ores. The minerals galena (lead sulfide, PbS), cerussite (lead carbonate, PbCO3), and anglesite (lead sulfate, PbSO4) often contain zinc, gold, silver, and other metals. Once the ore has been pulverized, chemical techniques are sufficient to separate the gold from the lead. The result is almost alchemy...almost.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/generalch ... 50601a.htm

Anyway, it's just not practical. It takes thousands of dollars to have operators for this equipment, etc., so it ends up costing more than it is actually worth. Besides, a simple knowledge of economics would show you that the more of a substance there is, the less it is worth. You can see this in action with the gas prices today. In the seventies, they were outraged in the US that prices were more than a dollar. Ha ha...

So in the end, it's just not worth it, though the chemistry and physics involved ARE admittedly interesting.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

The thing about plummeting downhill at fifty miles an hour on a snack platter - if you realize it's a bad idea when you're halfway down, it's too late.
— Rick Riordan, The Son of Neptune