z

Young Writers Society

Publishing

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:54 pm
Rei says...

Here's where we can all talk about publishing. I've been working on getting published since my seventeenth birthday.

Got questions about the biz? Know a place to send stuff? Post it here.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:36 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

I've learnt you should always research a company lol, if you go on google type Editors and Preditors and click on I'm feeling lucky you'll get taken to this good site. I can't remember what you click on (I'll look tomorrow I'm really tired now sorry) and it'll take you to a list of publishers in alphabetical order. It gives you a bit of info about them and advises whether or not you should go with them. The really bad ones or "fake" ones are in bold red so you know to avoid them.

685 Reviews

Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:00 am
Rei says...

Very true. Research is really important. One really great source, for Canadians at least, is the Canadian Writers Market. It has all of the major book publishers, as well as many of the small ones. It also has listings of agents, journals, and magazines. I don't know too many American publications with the same listings, but Jeff Herman's guide is pretty good.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:53 pm
Sureal says...

How about the writers market?
(I think) the URL is: http://www.writersmarket.com

The only downside... is that you have to pay for it. Though it's a really good list of publishers and stuff (or, so I keep on hearing...).
I wrote the above just for you.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:40 am
Snoink says...

You can always self-publish. There's plenty of resources on that, if you're interested. Also, if you want, I can dig up a list of tips from a published writer.

685 Reviews

Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:56 pm
Rei says...

The problem with self-publishing is that it costs a lot of money. Could be thousands of dollars. And you have to market and distribute the books yourself. Whereas, sending a submission to a publisher or agent only costs a few dollars.

Anyway, this is a good place for high school students to send stuff. they take just about any sort of short writing you could think of up to 2500 words.

www.teenink.com

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
— Henry David Thoreau, "Walden"