z

Young Writers Society

Advice for the format of my story?

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:09 am
LittleFox says...

I'm working on the second half of a short story, and I'm having concerns about the format and am trying to decide if I want to change the whole thing. I've always preferred writing in first-person, but this is a somewhat creepy story and I don't want the reader to know if the main character is going to live or not. Obviously if the character is telling the story, you already know he's survived. So to combat this I decided to write the story as journal entries that could have been found after his death, but even with this I don't know if it works. I really don't want to change it to third-person unless I have to, so I was hoping to get some opinions and advice.

Thanks in advance guys!

If you'd like to take a quick glance at the story in question, here is the first half:
The Watcher / Part One
"What's 'taters, Precious?"

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:15 pm
Kale says...

I think the journal entries approach works, but something you could potentially try is first person present tense, so that way you get the closeness of first person with the immediacy of things happening as the character relays them.

The one potential downside is that you'll have to end the story a bit earlier to preserve the mystery of the character's survival, which could make for a more abrupt than ambiguous ending.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.
— Patrick Star