z

Young Writers Society

A new guy.

Reviews: 2
Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:38 pm
adamzerk says...

Hi! I'm Adam. Or Ed.

I kind of started lurking around this site (and even posted once or twice) a few months back; but never really 'got into it'. School is going to be done for me by the end of this week, and, in looking around a bit, this looks like a really cool community. (Plus I already know someone here. :P)

- So I'm thinking I'll stick around. For the summer, at least, until schoolwork bogs me down again.

Anyways, about actually writing: I like grittier, modern, realistic writing. My plotlines tend to heavily include criminals, or at least criminal elements. And usually have a fair amount of violence, though I always do my best to portray it 'artistically'. Well, not going out of my way to be gratuitous, anyways: every blood spatter has a purpose. :wink:

I'm also a huge fan of film (and have aspirations to become involved in film production). Do you guys do any serious film discussions/analysis here?

Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you. I'll have some of my writings up in a while, and will definitely start looking around for people seeking critique. Though I'm not sure that I could deliver the highest-quality of criticisms.

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:48 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

*glomps*

^_^ Belated welcome to YWS, sweetie.

Let me know when you post something. I enjoy reading your work, though I'm not sure I could offer a good critique.

*bis!*

^_^ Keek

[Edit]

Mwaha. First response. :D
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:22 am
Carlito says...

Hey Adam/Ed, welcome to YWS! :D

Geez, I can't imagine still being in school right now :) I got out almost two weeks ago and I thought that was grossly late :)

If you haven't already, I would recommend reading the Rules. Yeah it's long and boring but it gives a lot of good info on the site and it'll keep the mods off your back. :) The main things to remember are:
-2:1 ratio -> For everything you submit for a review, we ask that you review at least two other things first.
-No chat speak -> We want to keep this site as sophisticated as possible so try not to talk lIkE tHiS :) Try to use proper grammar and spelling too. (If you're not sure if you've spelled everything right and want to check, above the reply window is a 'check spelling' button).
-Rate your work -> If something you post has a lot of swearing, violence, or sex, rate it appropriately because there are younger people here that might not want to read stuff like that.

I don't think we have any major film discussions/analysis here. You might want to browse through the Groups. There may be something there like that and if there isn't, you're welcome to start one.
You can post scripts here for review though.

Now some tough questions...
Who's your favorite author? Who's your favorite film director? What's your favorite movie? What kind of music do you listen to? If you had unlimited money to make a short film and you could cast any two male and female actors, who would you cast/want to work with the most? And if you were a shoe, what kind of shoe would you be and why?

I hope you have a great time here and if you have any questions or need anything, feel free to PM me! :D

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:15 pm
mizz-iceberg says...

Hey Adam! Welcome to YWS.

Glad to hear that you decided to stick around. Ooers, a passion for film! We should totally hang out! And no, at the moment we don't really have serious film discussions. But like Carly said, have a look at the groups. If you do start your own film discussion group, let me know, I'd love to join!

So whow are your favourite directors, producers, films, movies, what ever you wanna call them? I happen to have a cousin studying at Full Sail in film production.

What aspect of film really interest you? Film production is very wide field, with many prospective careers in it. You planning on working for pre production, production, or post production? Or do you want to be a director or producer and stick with the whole process?

Ok, yes, I myself have been thinking of going into film. :P

About those critiques, all I can say is try your best, and practise makes perfect. My first critiques on YWS are very laugh worthy, but you'll find that reviewing not only helps the reviewee, but also the reviewer in improving their writing.

You'll find some great tips on how to review here.

Pop me a PM is you need anything. See you around!

-Zehra
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

Reviews: 2
Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:09 pm
adamzerk says...

Heh, thanks for the welcomes.

Also - thanks for pointing out the 'groups' section. I found one, "Cinema Freaks", that looks pretty solid. Though maybe I'll look into trying to start one up for some more serious analysis and whatnot. But general opinion stuff is good too. :P

Oh, and (as with most people looking to work in film) I really want to be a director. But I know it's one of the tougher (and I'm under-exaggerating, here) gigs to get, so I'm just trying to immerse myself in as many on-set things as I can. (I'll (hopefully) be PA'ing some commercials this summer. Lucky me. :D) I'm also a fan of a whole slew of movies, though I've always been impartial to gangster flicks. (Comedies are great too.)

I like a lot of Quentin Tarantino's work, and apart from that I like to watch (and re-watch, and re-watch) older more prominent stuff.

... and Indie films.

I like a lot of stuff. :P

- And it's really cool that you can submit scripts for critique here. I've got a few short ones lying around, I think I'll polish some up and see what people think. :P (Although I do notice that it specifically says "Scripts for plays". And some critiques mention having the audience watching the performance live. Is there any off-on-the-side section for screenplays, or something like that?)

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:28 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey,

Welcome to YWS. Pm me if you need anything.

NM
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

The best and most beautiful things in the world can not be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
— Helen Keller