z

Young Writers Society

New to this site

Reviews: 4
Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:14 am
daniel graue says...

My girlfriend said i should use this site to work on my writing skills for senior year. i do have to say that my writings are extremely bad and boring. if anyone has any advice or tips, please help. My English teacher told me that if i wanted to pass, i need to write more sophisticated. So, PLEASE HELP

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:28 am
lilymoore says...

So, for anyone who decides to stop in and say hello to daniel here, he is in fact my boyfriend so can you all please just be nice to him.

He's actually been a registered user here for a while but I've been harassing him for some time to actually post something here. And now he has. Well, he's reviewed some art but it's something isn't it? Which is awesome, at least the way I see it, but maybe love has made me blind. :D

Anyway, feel free to ask him as many questions as you like and do all that crazy welcoming stuff that you Greeters do, just, well, be nice...please.

~lilymoore
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:45 am
niteowl says...

Hi Daniel and welcome to YWS! First off, I'll just say don't be too hard on yourself...that's the Instructor's job. :P But seriously, you probably have lots of potential to be a good writer and this site can definitely help improve.

First, a brief overview of the rules:
1) Review two pieces for every one you post.
2) Always try to use proper standards of spelling and grammar. No chatspeak, no "i" (you had several in your welcome post), etc. A typo or an occasional LOL is fine, but don't overdo it.

Now, on to the fun part. HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S YOUR GIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :elephant: :thud: :smt006 :smt007 :smt004 :smt026 :smt024 :smt016 :smt021 :smt020 :smt027 :smt031 :smt041 :smt059 :smt068 :smt072 :smt064 :smt077 :smt114 :smt084 :smt109 :smt101 :smt083 :smt116 :smt115 :pirate1: :ftw: :smt035
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:50 pm
Shauni says...

Hi there Daniel! What's up? Needing a back up with school?
You just came to the right place!~The free and easy YWS emporium!

Nite already gave you the basics but, clickhere and you will find the complete rules. You should better read. It helps not being[s] harassed [/s] nagged by the mods.

You may notice that some user have coloured names. That's because they are the YWS Staff.

Blues: The greeters. They are in charge of welcoming the newbies and help them get along in the site.

Purples: The instructors. They will review your work and work with you to make the most of it.

Light/Dark Green: The junior moderators and the moderators. They make sure that everything is running smoothly. They are the little bosses.

Orange: Distiinguised members.

Red: YWS Administrators.

That's it for the colours. As you can see, we have our own kind of rainbow .:P

What about you?

What's your favorite genre of music?
Cookies or ice-cream?
Sun or Clouds? <---- Yes, we usually do these stupid questions...:roll:

That's it friend!

I hope that you can improve your writing!
Hope to see you around!

If you need anything, just PM me!

Best wishes

Shauni^^

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:10 pm
deleted_5 says...

Hi Daniel. I'm Lucy Pennykettle, but you can call me Lucy or Luce. On YWS, we love helping people with their writing skills. So feel free to talk to the purples, (Instructors) or anyone on this site.

So, for extra help we have usergroups. These are little groups that we have on certain subjects. Like Matt's happy place, Inkheart, stuff like that. There's some for writing, you might want to check them out.
I hate television. I hate it as much as I hate peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts. I also hate being on television, I hate it as much as people hate chocolate. But they always want chocolate.

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:25 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

Your boyfriend likes cats ^^

Welcome to YWS Daniel! I'm a greeter, just another one of those blue-titled people who are here to say "hey" and many other things.

Since all the technical stuff is already out there, I'll cover the basics.

1. Dont' take all reviews to heart. The pros here are known to tear pieces apart, literally. But don't sweat! It's all in hope that you'll improve! The best way to improve your writing is by 1. reading 2. writing 3. taking advice and 4. rewriting. I'm sure you'll be able to pass english if you try hard enough. In fact, english isn't even that hard of a subject once you get the hang of it.

2. When someone signs your guestbooks, sign theirs back, it's nice :F

3. Just jump in! Join a group! Join a chat! Post post post!

That's basically the basics ;P

Shina
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:31 pm
daniel graue says...

angels-symphony, I don't even know what you mean by guestbook, all i know how to do is reveiw. I was never a good writer, most of the topics I have no interest in them, so it makes it harder to write. Just ask lilymoore, she'll tell you that my writings suck.

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:09 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Hey Daniel! Seems like the basics have been laid out.

Your guestbook? That's pretty simple. You click on the big button at the top of the page that says 'My YWS', and then scroll down (after the page downloaded). You'll have a bunch of options and one of them says 'Got to my profile' or something close to that. You select that and you are on your profile, where you have a guestbook. Or more simply, you can check your posts and click on the button that says 'profile'.

You only know how to review? Don't worry. Many newbies only know that too. I'm sure lily will give you a tour around, but I can tell you that you can check pretty much everything from the Navigators banner. and you wonder what that is. It's the group of big buttons at the top of the page, and they give you access to pretty much everything. Don't be afraid to explore! *pats* Its fun! :D

If you need anything, just PM me!
*Kat*

P.M: Oh yeah, right! Welcome to YWS! I'm Kat, nice to meet you ;)
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:28 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey,

Welcome to YWS.

If you ever need anything, feel free to pm me.

Hope you enjoy it here.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:09 am
daniel graue says...

Yeah, I'm getting used to the site, just takes awhile. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone helped me on here so far. You've been a big help.

Thanks

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:11 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

lilymoore wrote:Anyway, feel free to ask him as many questions as you like and do all that crazy welcoming stuff that you Greeters do, just, well, be nice...please.

We're always nice! That's our job! :)
(except when we eat people...and Kill Purple People in every war...but other than that....)

Hey Daniel, welcome to YWS! :D

Once again everyone has mentioned the important stuff so I'll just skip right on over to the question portion. Don't be alarmed, but they're really hard.
What's your favorite kind of cookie? If you were a shoe, what kind of shoe would you be and why? If you could travel to any country for a week, where would you go? If you could have any superpower, what superpower would you choose and why?

I hope you have a really great time here and learn a lot. :) If you have any questions or need anything, feel free to PM me! :D

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:51 am
daniel graue says...

Kind of cookie: Chocalate chip
Kind of shoe: K-swiss
Superpower: Super speed, no one would ever catch me. hahahahah.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:37 am
WaterVyper says...

Hey Daniel, and it's nice to meet you! I'm sure Lily has helped you a lot, and the other members too, so I'm pretty sure you have a basic grasp of the site. Anyway, since the rules, colors, and guestbooks are done, then I'm going to explain groups.

Up on the header, you'll notice that there's a button marked groups. There are a bunch of usergroups we have on YWS that are made for users who share similar interests. For example, if you like to play an instrument, we have a group for you. If you like Narnia, or Twilight, of Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter, there's a group for you. Go and check them out. If you know there are people who like the same things as you do, then it'll add more fun to your stay.

Well, it's good to meet you, Daniel. I hope you have fun on YWS. If there's anything you need, then you can PM me. See ya!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

That smells like the inside of a tropical rainforest.
— Yoshikrab's friend