z

Young Writers Society

What's shakin' spunky groove monkey?

Reviews: 3
Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:50 am
Syuka says...

Hi all! This is my first time posting in a forum of any kind :oops: so any tips you have for me will be greatly appreciated. I want to make lots of friends here so please drop me a line! I'm currently in the middle of writing my first book, in college and my birthday is on Saturday! I'll be 20 :D Anywho! thanks for reading X3
if you would be a writer - then write!

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:08 am
Juniper says...

Hi there Syuka! Welcome to YWS! I'm June! How very nice to meet you!

First: Happy early birthday! :D

Don't worry about this being your first time posting in a forum; I'm sure you'll get used to it soon. Just poke around and explore, and you'll get the hang of it :).

Awesome! Writing your first book? Mind if I ask what it's about, or what genre it is? What do you like to write most? Who's your favorite author?

Let me just brief you on the rules here:

• We have a 2:1 policy rule, which means that before you post one piece of you work you should have reviewed two pieces by someone else.

•No chatspeak! We won't tolerate people who say "r" for "are" or "u" for "you". We're writers! We love typing, don't we?

Also! You will see some colored people around the site (like me, for example) The legend is:

Red = Admin/Junior Admin. There are only two people who are red on here; these are the creator of this awesome place (Nate) and Meshugenah. They manage the inner gears of this stuff.

Green (dark) = Moderator. They help to make sure that everything stays in order around here and are generally awesome people.

Green (light) = Junior Moderator. They help to manage certain areas of the site (and are just as awesome as the other mods!)

Purple = Instructors. These are the people who give extra help on reviews and critiques.

Blue = Greeters. They welcome new members :D. They'll be here shortly!

If you need anything feel free to PM me! Welcome aboard, and enjoy your stay!

June
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:21 am
daydreamer9 says...

Happy birthday! :] And welcome to YWS Syuka.

Firs of all, I just have to say that you said "anywho"! I always say that and it's good to know that I'm not the only one.

Let me introduce myself: I'm dd9. I'm currently seeking better nick names, but there don't seem to be any jumping out at me at the moment.

Anywho, springrain basically stated all the rules which means I get to do th fun stuff! The main rule I follow (besides the basic ones) is review, review, review. It's very important to review others works. It's my favorite thing to do because I love helping people. As springrain said, we have a little policy here that for every piece you post you must review two pieces by other users. This way, everyone gets well deserved advice. Horay!

YWS is basically one big family. Everyone here is very welcoming and I'm sure you'll recieve many replies to your hello. The people here are like that!

If you ever have any questions, PM me! I'm always up to making a new friend and helping a fellow writer.

-dd9
live like there's no tomorrow, dream like you'll live forever.

be the change you wish to see in the world
-gandi

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:16 am
deleted_5 says...

Bugger! I hate it when people beat me to the welcome and rule telling. :smt011 oh well. Hiya Syuka! :smt006 Welcome to YWS! I guess you could say that I'm one of the squirts here, but I'm learning as I go. Basically, follow all the rules and you'll have a great time!

PM me if you need anything or need help! :smt100

Lucy Pennykettle

PS) Happy Early Birthday! :birthday: Hope you make a great wish! :smt113
I hate television. I hate it as much as I hate peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts. I also hate being on television, I hate it as much as people hate chocolate. But they always want chocolate.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:36 am
View Likes
WaterVyper says...

Hi Syuka! That's a nice name, you know. Well, it's great to see a new face around. And happy birthday! I'm sorry I can't get a present right now, but I'm doing this when I have an assignment. Well, everyone already explained the rules and colors so...

Oh yes! Please remember to rate your works. If it contains the f- word or graphic scenes, please rate it R. R rated works won't show up on the featured works area. And give your piece a gold star! If it's appropriately rated and has enough stars, you'll find it in the featured works section. I found one of mine there. I'll hope to see one of yours.

So, yay! I'm the first Greeter here. I'd better hurry before the teacher comes back. All the questions have already been asked, so feel free to PM me for anything you need. See ya around!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:57 am
Meep(: says...

ELLO!
That sure was a funny thread title you had there :D
Spent a good minute laughing my head off.

Firstly, a happy early 20th birthday to you! :D
*flings confetti*
*shoots silly string*
*pops champagne*
*party like there's no tomorrow*
Whoo!

Okay, back to sanity...
Welcome to the wild and whacky YWS family!
Since everyone *glare* has already laid the ground rules out for you,
I shall not be superfluous.

So what genres do you like to read and write about?

Oh, and good luck on your novel!
I look forward to reading it.
Any plans to publish? *hint nudge wink*

~Feel free to PM me for anything. Literally.
Like if you want a cookie.
Here's a freebie:
*shoves a mint chocolate chip cookie in your mouth* :D
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

Random avatar

Reviews: 124
Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:14 am
View Likes
Reyu says...

springrain2693 forgot to mention the normal GRAY of the lowly writer.

We are just as cool :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 124
Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:21 am
Reyu says...

Also, welcome.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:02 pm
Rosendorn says...

Whoa. Only the third greeter here.

Hiya and welcome!

Happy early birthday!

I absolutely Love your avatar!

Well, that's all I have. What one gets for being late.

If you have any questions, PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:08 pm
Incognito says...

Hello! I am the fourth greeter! Wow, the greeters are being abnormally slow today.

Welcome to YWS, were everyone writes and everyone reads. It is also the word of cheese and triceps. You know how much those triceptic cheese love to read and write! I am Incognito, the stealthiest of all the greeters and the one who is usually late... At least usually, i have something to say, but these springrain just had to cover almost all of it! -grumble grumble-

Happy Early Birthday! For that is what we do! 20th eh? Well, shucks, don't that make me feel pathetic. I am looking forward to reading some of your... writing [s]I hope[/s]. What genre do you write? Because I will most likely read it if I am interested in it. I generally don't read much fantasy. It puts my brain on over drive and my imagination tends to fail and then my brain will fail... and one time because it failed, I sold my life on E-bay. Oh how great!

Why don't you tell us a little bit more about yourself, Syuka! I love your name by the way. Well, I will ask you some random questions to get you started [s]and to make things incredibly awkward. I wish to know all about your private life because secretly I am a Internet stalker who is searching for 19 turning 20 year old writers. You know you will want to answer these questions.[/s]

1) If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? [s]Say Canada![/s]
2) If you had to live in a bubble for the rest of your life, what would you do to keep yourself occupied?
3) Have you ever peed on a bus stop and got kicked out of a mall?
4) Is there a reason why Octopi have eight legs?
5) Since you are in college, tell me the first thing you think of when I say the word 'chrysanthemum'?

Well it was nice to meet you and torment you and i hope to see you around the forums! And please answer the questions because people tend to forget about little old me because I tend to rant! I do not rant! I am just putting my emotions out there!

~Incognito
'Everyone is entitled to be stupid, some just abuse the priviledge.'

Reviews: 3
Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:07 am
Syuka says...

holy buckets batman! I'm defiantly in trouble, my spelling and grammar are TERRIBLE :smt089
First off let me just thank everybody for being so nice about my birthday! I am vrry vrry excited! Actually everyone seems super friendly, nice to know that because I am a little shy when it comes to meeting new people. OxO
Hmm my favorite genres to read are prolly: fantasy, action/adventure, and romance (the ones with an actual plot and isn't just smut). I also like the occasional comedy book; but I also like books that I can learn from. Books on symbols or like legends, you know? I think its because I like to watch all those learning channels (animal planet, discovery, history, national geo) :smt003 Alright now to answer Incognito's fancy questionnaire :wink:
    1) If I could live anywhere in the world I think I would stay here in Texas. But it would really be like a home base. I like to travel every chance I get :smt060
    2) Funny you should mention living in a bubble, because that just so happens to be one of the various shapes I enjoy! Though if I had to live in a bubble I'd amuse myself with reading and writing. I'd also make origami for my caretakers to sell on the side of the road. X3
    3) I've never peed on a bus, but i vaguely remember getting kicked out of a mall for disturbing the peace or something. . .@~@
    4) The reason Octopi have 8 legs is because if they didn't they'd be squids
    5) the Flower that means: your a wonderful friend, or cheerfulness. (coincidence? I think not!)
And now the question you all really want to know: I my book is fantasy fiction but I write just about everything. Except mysteries, I can never get the hang of those! I started putting my thoughts to paper in my freshman year of High School. in the last couple of years I have stayed in the fantasy genre but sometimes I would open up my can of artistic angst and write some darker pieces. I also write a little bit of poetry and draw/paint a bit. Good thing I moved from Electrical Engineering to Liberal Arts major! Engineering is defiantly not someplace for someone like me who is all over the place X3
so while I wrap this up and go read some other people's work I have a some questions:
    * how do I put a little quote in that space between my name and my rank?
    *how can I change my font color (I want it to be green! my fav. color :smt049 ) because I see the button but when I click it nothing happens. . . sad
    *is there anyway for me to move posts? I think I posted something in the Poetry that belongs in Fiction section so I deleted them and tried to put them in the write place but I didn't have enough points.
    * Do you get points for posting in User Groups forums?

Thanks a zillion terabytes for your help! And yes, I know what a terabyte is XD
if you would be a writer - then write!

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:47 am
Juniper says...

* how do I put a little quote in that space between my name and my rank?

You become a novelist at 250 posts, and then you get a custom title :D.

*how can I change my font color (I want it to be green! my fav. color ) because I see the button but when I click it nothing happens. . . sad

Use BBC Code :D (Lots of us like black font, though!)

It's this:

[color=red] write your stuff here [/ color] Just remove that space between the slash and stuff :)

*is there anyway for me to move posts? I think I posted something in the Poetry that belongs in Fiction section so I deleted them and tried to put them in the write place but I didn't have enough points.

Nope, sorry, dear :). If you need something moved, you may ask a moderator/junior moderator to move it for you.

* Do you get points for posting in User Groups forums?

Most of them, yes. :)

Any other questions, feel free to ask! :D
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:49 am
Snoink says...

Ew! Don't change your color. That's nasty. Trust me. ;)

And psh! Engineers can totally be scatter-brained. Especially chemical engineers. You just got put in the wrong sort of major. Oh well! At least this means you don't have to suffer with thermodynamics.

And, if you need anything moved, just bug me. I am a moderator. Hear me roar!

Oink.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:35 pm
Rosendorn says...

Snoink- :P

A little more about the font colour, if you do start using a different one, some people might ask you not to use it in PMs. Some people don't get pink coloured PMs from me.

Annd, for the spelling, look just above the text box in the top right corner. You'll see a little button that says "check spelling." Once you click it every misspelled words become highlighted (and it doesn't count British spellings as wrong) and when you click on the red words you'll get options of what to change it too. ^_^ Once you're done with that, then click it again to resume typing. You could also just post.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:54 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey and Welcome.

if you need anything, pm me.

see ya around.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

Wist is Ley's mind, confirmed
— WeepingWisteria