z

Young Writers Society

Is a sword considered a concealed weapon?

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:29 pm
Shafter says...

Salutations, fellow writers! I just signed up, and so far everything looks awesome! I can hardly wait to get feedback from some editors near my age who love fantasy like I do.
So... is a sword a concealed weapon? I have a rapier, and it's rather hard to conceal. What's to stop me from walking into a bank wearing it? It's a free country, I'm not breaking the law. Then again, if I did that, I might be writing my next post from prison...
I'm so excited about this website and meeting anyone who cares to read my writing. Cheers! ~Shafter
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:31 pm
View Likes
gyrfalcon says...

Dahling!
Yay, I'm so excited that you're on YWS finally! Can't wait to get some CotS on here, so happy. Happy bird. :D Everyone, aero, Snoink, DD, this loverly Shafter is my friend, be nice to her!!!!!
And post on her stuff. She's a genious!
(p.s. be nice, but she really doesn't mind having her story ripped to shreds, she comes from a family of writers)

(p.s.s. that doesn't go for me, though, obviously)
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:36 pm
View Likes
Incandescence says...

Shafter--

Welcome to the YWS! We're glad to critique things here.

I believe a sword is considered a weapon in most public places. Indeed, or at least I've heard, that really you should not bear any (unsheathed) blade over three inches or else you are prone to being arrested.

This is assuming you live in America, of course. I am not familiar with UK law, or wherever it is you might hail from.

All the best,
Brad
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:48 pm
View Likes
aeroman says...

Welcome Shafter!!! My name is Aeroman, but everyone calls me Aero. :) You will have a blast here at YWS, this site has an amazing community, and I've loved every minute of being here. I'm very excited to read your fantasy works, I'm an avid writer of fantasy as well (because I can't write anything else haha :wink: ) If you ever need a good critique feel free to PM me! See you around the site!

-Aero
They haven't invented the missile that can kill an ideal.

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:52 pm
View Likes
Dream Deep says...

gyrfalcon wrote:Dahling!
Yay, I'm so excited that you're on YWS finally! Can't wait to get some CotS on here, so happy. Happy bird. :D Everyone, aero, Snoink, DD, this loverly Shafter is my friend, be nice to her!!!!!
And post on her stuff. She's a genious!
(p.s. be nice, but she really doesn't mind having her story ripped to shreds, she comes from a family of writers)

(p.s.s. that doesn't go for me, though, obviously)

Aw, I get personally introduced. ^_^ How nice.

Welcome Shafter! Lol, your avatar seems to be hopelessly intwined with that of Sureal (another member) but that's quite allright, it's a pleasure having you. If ever you would like a crit, feel free to PM me. :wink:

A rapier, you say? Ahh... go talk to Poor Imp.

~Dreamy ^_~

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:15 pm
View Likes
Poor Imp says...

Shafter wrote:Salutations, fellow writers! I just signed up, and so far everything looks awesome! I can hardly wait to get feedback from some editors near my age who love fantasy like I do.
So... is a sword a concealed weapon? I have a rapier, and it's rather hard to conceal. What's to stop me from walking into a bank wearing it? It's a free country, I'm not breaking the law. Then again, if I did that, I might be writing my next post from prison...
I'm so excited about this website and meeting anyone who cares to read my writing. Cheers! ~Shafter

Hullo Shafter! Welcome to YWS... I couldn't miss the sword-interjection, you know. ^_^

I know that my foil is looked at askance and disliked by security personnel, and it's not approved of by airlines even when I'm off to compete. ^_~ It has a blunted tip--but 'tis a weapon. I suppose. In technicality.

Anyhow, you'll find a line of fantasy lovers here, all glad to look at your writing. ^_^

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:11 pm
View Likes
Cassandra says...

Hey, and welcome to YWS! PM me if you have need any critiques or anything, okay? I can't wait to see some of your writing. :D

--Cassandra
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:04 pm
View Likes
backgroundbob says...

Is a sword considered a concealed weapon?

Only, I suspect, if it is concealed.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:17 pm
View Likes
Fishr says...

Welcome! Enjoy your stay here and I know you'll have fun!

As for your question, check with your local laws. For instance, in most States, assuming you're from the US, switch blades are illegal. In my State, you can wear a knife in public, as the long as the blade doesn't exceed 6 inches. But, I personally wear just long shirts to conceal the majority of my "smaller" knives, since the public can be automatically judgemental.

If you are really have that much trouble hiding it partially, there's a good chance it shouldn't be out in public, hence against the law. But check, and make sure. No sense in receiving a slap, right? ;)

Again, enjoy your stay.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:55 pm
View Likes
Ares says...

Hey Bob, that was my response!

And welcome, Shafter.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:39 pm
View Likes
Sage says...

See? See? I told you... 8)

So, Shafter dear, when will you be gracing us with Emon's (sorry, the little accent-thingy won't work on here) actual presence? I'm looking forward to seeing the new draft...who knows, he might even have brown hair in this one...*snigger, snigger*

Yay! Shafter's on YWS!!!
True friends stab you in the FRONT. (Oscar Wilde)

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:16 am
View Likes
Myth says...

Greetings Shafter,

Welcome to the site, as you can see this is a great community and you'll fit right in. I'm a writer of fantasy, historical fiction and all things creepy so beware! :D

-- Myth
.: ₪ :.

'...'

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:41 am
View Likes
Wiggy says...

Heya Shafter!

Glad you could come to the site! :D Swords are really cool-I remember one time on New Year's Eve that we were at a friend's house, and the father owned a sword. I decided I wanted to see it, and I tried pulling it out of the sheath-yeah, not so hot of any idea. :D

Btw, I'm Wiggy, resident insane member of YWS. lol Just ask anyone...:P I like fantasy too, although I'm more of a historical fiction buff. If you have any questions or just want to talk, feel free to PM me!

Have fun and keep writing! *huggles*

And here's a welcoming present of a virtual plate of chocolate chip cookies! :D

Wiggy ;)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:43 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Hey Shafter, welcome to the site.

My name's Jack, feel free to contact me for questions and concerns, I'm sad enough to know too much about YWS.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:27 pm
View Likes
Shafter says...

Thanks for all the welcomes! I already LOVE it here, and I will be posting my first chapter soon. This is an awesome site. You guys rock!
~Shafter
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

Shady's wall is now the Randomosity forum in a nut shell
— alliyah