z

Young Writers Society

And We All Go The Same Way Home

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:29 am
Teague says...

Author's note: Yeah, this is what happens when it takes you only 45 minutes of a 2.5 hour session to complete a state standardised test. Die AIMS, die.

*cough* Anyway. I'm both in love and hating this story at the same time. Help would be greatly appreciated -- I might put it in the next Journal if we do another one.

And We All Go The Same Way Home

Jaden’s heart beat a wild tempo, each beat so loud that he heard every single thump. The sun was coming over the treetops, the sun was coming up and his heart was making noise like an approaching storm and he felt naked, vulnerable, conspicuous –

He took a deep breath, casting a nervous glance about him. The train station was filled with only a handful of sleepy-looking early morning passengers. Some of them were laden with baggage – probably fleeing the encroaching war zone.

He couldn’t blame them.

Jaden jumped a foot in the air when the incoming train blew its whistle, loud and clear. He hated its piercing cry, felt that somehow it would betray him. His heart rate, which had started to slow down, picked up its mad march all over again. The behemoth locomotive chugged into the station, slowing to a stop. It belched a cloud of steam into the air as a porter leapt off one of the cars.

“All aboard,” he called at the top of his baritone voice, reverberating off the trees and making Jaden wince – every sound was one that could give him away. The porter walked along the train, throwing open doors one by one and letting off the handful of passengers crazy enough to remain in the desecrated German countryside – mostly soldiers and medics. Jaden glanced at them nervously. They were American, by the look of their uniforms, but why they were on a civilian train coming into battle baffled him. Then again…

He quickly averted his eyes and thoughts as he scooped up his lone, tattered knapsack and fell in behind a haggard-looking mother and her three children, whom she was trying to coax onto the train. Jaden didn’t pay attention, keeping his eyes trained on his boots and his ears trained on the soldiers.

“Not this shit again,” one of them groaned. “We’ll be lucky if we make it out of here alive.”

Jaden glanced surreptitiously over his shoulder at the line of trees. The ever-present black plume of smoke hovered above the tops of them, serving as a sure sign of the approaching warfare.

Jaden shut out all thoughts of the war and climbed aboard the train, throwing his lone bag underneath a table affixed to the wall and sitting down in one of the seats surrounding it. His heart slowed again as the train began to move. Trees lining the railroad flashed by, but Jaden took no notice, keeping his eyes away from the windows, fearful of seeing another war zone or even the ominous black cloud. Once, he chanced a glance to his right – and all he saw was the burned remnants of trees that had been claimed by some kind of fighting. It scared him into curling into a ball and not looking anywhere other than his shoes.

He knew he was being silly. He knew he was being paranoid. He didn’t quite care. Better safe than sorry, cautious than caught. But no one had recognised him yet.

Jaden glanced down at himself, still surprised to see civilian clothes. At least no one would be able to pick him out right away – they’d need to get close to him.

He leaned back against the chair, feeling like he’d rather be naked. He wore a dead man’s clothes – Jaden had found the corpse in the woods. Another innocent life claimed by the war.

“Waste not, want not,” Jaden had said, more to reassure himself than anything.

The train turned round a bend, and Jaden chanced a glance out of the window. The bend had taken them south – he could no longer see the smoke of the war machine. He breathed a long-deserved sigh of relief.

The mother and three young children who had boarded the train with Jaden had settled into seats a few rows in front of Jaden and across the aisle. He could see them clearly – the mother looked exhausted, her face lined with worry. The biggest of her children, who couldn’t be any older than ten, looked sombre and meditative, sitting ramrod straight and staring at his dirty feet. The war had clearly already broken his spirit.

Poor thing, Jaden thought.

The mother said something Jaden couldn’t hear to the smallest of the three, who was pressing his face to the glass window and making funny expressions. Jaden couldn’t help but smile. All the fighting and devastation hadn’t spoiled at least one innocent spirit. He felt a tiny glimmer of something warm and vaguely familiar.

Maybe things will be all right in the end, he thought. Maybe… there is hope.

He smiled to himself. That’s what it was. Hope. He made a mental note – Hope would make a good name. He reached into his pocket and thumbed the tiny, washed-out photo, just to reassure himself that it was really there.

I’m coming, my darling, he thought.

He looked back to the mother and her children – the three tiny souls full of hope. Jaden couldn’t help but repeat the word in his head. Hope. Hope. Hope. Shaking his head to clear it, he noticed that the middle child – only about six or seven years old – was carefully constructing a bizarre structure out of a set of antiquated dominoes. One of the dominoes, Jaden noted, was badly burned.

Jaden watched, fascinated, as the boy somehow managed to defy the lurching motions of the train and kept his structure upright. It looked like a city – a small city with small houses, but a city nonetheless. He reached for another domino – he had spread them out in front of him – and accidentally knocked one off the table.

As the boy reached down, Jaden noticed that neither he nor his brothers wore shoes.

The train gave an unexpected, huge lurch, and just as the boy was straightening up to resume his creation, it toppled over, the pieces spilling everywhere. His face didn’t change. He still looked intent on his craft. Without a single complaint, he slid under the table and started scooping up his toys before beginning his construction all over again.

Jaden turned from the children, surveying the mostly deserted train car. There were only two other passengers – an elderly man with wispy grey hair who seemed intent on muttering to himself, and across the aisle from him, a young man who appeared to be asleep and could not be older than nineteen.

The old man looked up, meeting Jaden’s eyes. Jaden felt his heart jump – he had seen that look before. Instinct told him he was looking into the eyes of a powerful military veteran. He was both awed and terrified – if he was a German soldier, Jaden could be killed. If he was American, Jaden would be sent back to the front lines.

But the old man gave a tiny nod, seeming to read Jaden’s mind. He hesitated. The man gave a slightly stronger nod. Jaden made a snap decision – one that had the possibility of being fatal – and stood up, walking to where the old man sat.

“Sit,” he said. Jaden obeyed. The old man nodded towards the sleeping teenager to his right.

“That lad isn’t as clever as you are,” he said. “You at least had the sense to change clothes. He’s still in his military uniform.”

Jaden gaped. “How did you-”

“There’s no hiding the look in your eye, son,” he interrupted. “You have served in this war. You have seen the fighting. You have seen death. It’s written all over your face.”

The man spoke with slightly accented English. He traced circles on the table before him using his index finger. He seemed tired, Jaden noted, observing how his shoulders sloped downward and how he hunched over himself as if protecting something important.

“What’s your name, son?”

“Jaden. Jaden Hendrix.”

“Keith,” the older man replied before falling silent again. Jaden sat in tense silence for several moments before his nerves finally snapped.

“You’re not going to report me, are you? Or kill me for deserting?” he blurted.

Keith shook his head. “No. You leave if you want to leave – I’m sure you have a dignified reason.”

Jaden reflexively fingered the photo in his pocket. The old man paid no mind, continuing talking to the table in front of him.

“The consequences are yours, not mine. Be warned, though – being so liberal with your full name could come back to haunt you.”

He nodded again towards the sleeping soldier. “Again, he isn’t so smart. He’s walking around with his name on his chest – how many Witkowskis are in the military? I suggest you take him under your wing. You’re both deserters but you’re clearly the more intelligent, more experienced soldier. Help your fellow man if you’re not going to kill him.”

“But… he’s a German soldier,” Jaden protested, eyeing the teen’s horribly familiar garments. “He could kill me at any time.”

“Look at him,” Keith said sadly. “Does he look like a killer to you?”

Before Jaden had time to respond, a sharp cry broke through their conversation. The middle child’s domino city had fallen again, and his broken sobs said that he’d given up hope.

“Wait here,” Keith said, standing up slowly, picking up the cane from the seat next to him. Jaden half stood to help, but Keith was already on his way down the aisle. Jaden sat slowly back down, glancing over at the young German soldier, who had been awoken by the child’s cries and was looking around, bewildered. Jaden nodded at him before turning in his seat to watch Keith.

He was conversing in low tones with the child. For once, some of the words carried through the car, and Jaden heard the distinct sounds of harsh German. Jaden was shocked – he’d noticed Keith’s accented English but had thought that he was simply from England or some other country like that. But German? He didn’t look German.

Jaden glanced over at the soldier again. He had gone back to sleep now that the child had stopped crying. Turning his attention back to Keith, he watched as the older man produced a small pile of sweets from somewhere within his coat. All three children brightened and reached for the sweets. He handed it to them at a nod from their mother.

Jaden distinctly heard the mother say, “Danke,” or “thank you” in German, and watched in awe as Keith stumped back to his seat.

“Even the natives are forced to flee this place, the most rural of communities,” he said sadly as he sat back down. “War has torn apart that woman’s family – her husband and oldest son were both drafted, both killed. She’s fleeing to France as fast as she can.”

Jaden could only gape.

“Am I… the only American in here?” he said stupidly. Keith nodded.

“What did you expect? You are in Germany, on a German civilian train.”
Jaden stood up.

“I can’t stay here,” he said hurriedly. “I can’t… I’m getting off at the next station.”

“Now why would you do that?” Keith asked.

“Because… because you’re all going to kill me.”

Keith chuckled, surprising Jaden.

“So the American discovers he is in the presence of the ‘enemy,’” he said. “Boy, you listen to the… how do you say? Propaganda of your superiors too much. Not all Germans are dangerous. Only the ones with guns and the intent to kill are so. Do you honestly feel threatened by anyone here?”

Keith waved his arm at the rest of the car. The children were sucking happily on their sweets, their mother cooing to them in soft German. The soldier boy slept on.

“…No. I… I don’t,” Jaden admitted.

“Good. Then sit down. Enjoy a train ride in good company.”

Jaden obeyed, sitting straight, shoulders tensed.

“You have been conditioned to despise and fear Germans, yes? But tell me, Jaden. What do you see here that is any different from your America that you fight so bravely for? Or not so bravely, seeing as how you’re here.”
Jaden thought for a moment. His hand wandered to his pocket for a third time, feeling the comforting edge of the photograph.

“What’s that you’ve got there?” Keith said, taking notice this time. “Let me see.”

Jaden pulled out the photograph – it showed a young woman, just barely in the tail end of her twenties. She was beautiful, smiling as an unseen wind whipped her hair around her head like a halo, frozen behind her head in the photograph. She wore a plain white gown, her stomach just barely bulging outwards.

“A girlfriend? A wife?” Keith asked, staring at the photo.

“Wife. Who is quite close to giving birth.”

Keith handed back the photo and Jaden pocketed it.

“She is very beautiful. You are a lucky man.”

Keith reached to his neck, his fingers slipping down his cotton shirt and returning with a fine gold chain in tow.

“I too have a lovely wife to return to,” Keith said, opening the heavy-looking locket on the end of the chain. “No children, though. They have all grown old and moved on. It is just her and I now.”

“She’s equally beautiful,” Jaden said. Keith smiled, tucking the locket away.

“You see? Just because we come from different places does not mean we are so very different.

“Look. All of us are going somewhere, searching for a better life. You are going home to your wife and unborn child. I am going home to my own wife. Those children are searching for a better place to live their lives. And that young soldier is off to get a late start on his own life. And then look out the window and see the reasons why.

“This is what we are forced to do – to give up our lives and flee in search of happiness. Is that not one of the fundamental beliefs of American law?”

Jaden nodded. Keith leaned back in his seat and closed his eyes.

“I’d like to see America some day,” he said. “It sounds like a wonderful place. Although I fear my old age will prevent me from doing that.”
He paused, a sort of blissful smile across his face. Jaden couldn’t help but stare.

“It doesn’t matter where we’re from,” Keith said after a long while. “We all go the same way home. And that’s what matters.”

Soon after, he fell asleep.

+++

Many hours later, the train pulled into a station in west France, a country free of fighting. It was an allied country – Jaden could take a boat over to England and be safe until he could take another ship back to America.

With only one bag to collect, he was the first ready to disembark the train. He stood waiting at the closed car door, shifting his weight from foot to foot. The German soldier was second. Jaden smiled at him as the younger man came to stand behind him. His eyes turned to the three children and their tired-looking mother, drifting to the boys’ six bare feet. He frowned and stepped back into the car, setting his bag on the nearest seat.

Not trusting his German, Jaden only held out three worn pairs of shoes – they were far too big for the boys and one pair was his old combat boots, but they were better than nothing. He looked pointedly at their mother.

“These are for your sons,” he said slowly, in English. He tried gesturing, but the woman only stared at him blankly.

Much to his relief, Keith came limping up then and translated what Jaden had said to German. A look of comprehension spread across her face, quickly replaced by an expression of gratitude as she took the shoes and bowed low. Jaden waved the favour aside. She handed them to her sons, talking in hushed tones, and delighted looks spread across all three faces. At a stern word from their mum, they each took turns bowing to Jaden and saying “Danke.” Jaden smiled at each as they happily tugged them on, prancing about the train and enjoying their gifts.

“Best of luck to you, Jaden,” Keith said, clapping him on the shoulder as the train’s doors were flung open and he stumped to the exit. Jaden bowed to the woman, gesturing for her to shepherd her boys off the train first.
He hopped the two or three stairs that separated the car from the platform and looked around. All the passengers from his car were streaming away, dispersing amongst the French crowds. Jaden watched them for a moment, his eyes lingering on the young soldier.

Keith’s words reverberated through Jaden’s head, and he made another snap decision.

“Hey, Witkowski! Wait,” he called. The soldier turned. Jaden, not bothering to be surprised that the soldier understood English, jogged to catch up with him. He slung one arm around his fellow soldier’s shoulder and guided him away.

“We all go the same way home,” he said by way of introduction.

“Let me help you.”
Last edited by Teague on Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:28 pm
Wolf says...

Hey Saint! :D I thought I should get you back.

[quote]
Jaden’s heart beat[first time using the word 'beat'...] a wild tempo, every beat[second time...] so loud that he heard every single thump.[Another synonym for 'beat'. Maybe you should try: Jaden's heart thumped frantically in his chest, each beat so loud he could hear it.] The sun was coming over the treetops, the sun was coming up and his heart was making noise like an approaching storm and he felt naked, vulnerable, conspicuous –

He took a deep breath, casting a nervous glance about him. The train station was filled with only a handful of sleepy-looking early morning passengers. ['Sleepy-looking early morning passengers' kind of drags the sentence, I think. Maybe you should consider shortening it, condensing it into fewer words/syllables?] Some of them were laden with baggage – probably fleeing the encroaching war zone.

He couldn’t blame them.

Jaden jumped a foot in the air when the incoming train blew its whistle, loud and clear for everyone to hear. He hated its piercing cry, felt that somehow it would betray him. His heart rate, which had started to slow down, picked up its mad tempo all over again. The behemoth locomotive chugged into the station, slowing to a stop. It belched a cloud of steam into the air as a porter leapt off one of the cars.

“All aboard,” he called at the top of his baritone voice, reverberating off the trees and making Jaden wince –
every sound was one that could give him away. The porter walked along the train, throwing open doors one by one and letting off the handful of passengers crazy enough to remain in the desecrated German countryside – mostly soldiers and medics. Jaden glanced at them nervously. They were American, by the look of their uniforms, but why they were on a civilian train coming into battle baffled him. Then again –

He quickly averted his eyes and thoughts as he scooped up his lone,[I don't think 'lone' is necessary here -- why would he have more than one backpack? If he did, it would be worth mentioning, but when you just say 'knapsack', they know it's singular. If that makes any sense.] tattered knapsack and fell in behind a haggard-looking mother and her three children, whom she was trying to coax onto the train. Jaden didn’t pay attention, keeping his eyes trained on his boots and his ears trained on the soldiers.[See the repetition of 'trained'? It would be okay but for the use of 'train' in the previous sentence.]

“Not this shit again,” one of them groaned. “We’ll be lucky if we make it out of here alive again.” [I noticed how there's the word 'again' after both of the dialogue-sentences. Whether or not this is intentional, it gives a good effect as people tend to speak like that when they're tired or annoyed.]

Jaden glanced surreptitiously over his shoulder at the line of trees. The ever-present black plume of smoke hovered above the tops of the trees, serving as a sure sign of the approaching warfare.

Jaden shut out all thoughts of the war and climbed aboard the train, throwing his lone bag underneath a table affixed to the wall and sitting down in one of the seats. His heart slowed again as the train began to move. Trees lining the railroad flashed by, but Jaden took no notice, keeping his eyes away from the windows, fearful of seeing another war zone or even the ominous black cloud. Once, he chanced a glance to his right – and all he saw was the burned remnants of trees that had been claimed by some kind of fighting. It scared him into curling into a ball and not looking anywhere other than his shoes.

He knew he was being silly. He knew he was being paranoid. He didn’t quite care. Better safe than sorry, cautious than caught. But no one had recognised him yet.

He glanced down at himself, still surprised to see civilian clothes. At least no one would be able to pick him out right away – they’d need to get close to him.

He leaned back against the chair, feeling like he’d rather be naked. He wore a dead man’s clothes – Jaden had found the corpse in the woods. Another innocent life claimed by the war.

“Waste not, want not,” Jaden had said, more to reassure himself than anything.

The train turned round a bend, and Jaden chanced a glance out of the window. The bend had taken them south – he could no longer see the smoke of the war machine. He breathed a long-deserved sigh of relief.

The mother and three young children who had boarded the train with Jaden had settled into seats a few rows in front of Jaden and across the aisle. He could see them clearly – the mother looked exhausted, her face lined with worry. The biggest of her children, who couldn’t be any older than ten, looked sombre and meditative, sitting ramrod straight in his seat and staring at his dirty feet. The war had clearly already broken his spirit.

The mother said something Jaden couldn’t hear to the smallest of the three, who was pressing his face to the glass window and making funny expressions. Jaden couldn’t help but smile. All the fighting and devastation hadn’t spoiled at least one innocent spirit. He felt a tiny glimmer of something warm and vaguely familiar.

Maybe things will be all right in the end, he thought. Maybe… there is hope.

He smiled to himself. That’s what it was. Hope. He made a mental note – Hope would make a good name for a girl. He reached into his pocket and thumbed the tiny, washed-out photo, just to reassure himself that it was really there.

I’m coming, my darling, he thought.

He looked back to the mother and her children – the three tiny souls full of hope. Jaden couldn’t help but repeat the word in his head. Hope. Hope. Hope. Shaking his head to clear it, he noticed that the middle child – only about six or seven years old – was carefully constructing a bizarre structure out of a set of antiquated dominoes. One of them, Jaden noted, was badly burned.

Jaden watched, fascinated, as the boy somehow managed to defy the lurching motions of the train and kept his structure upright. It looked like a city – a small city with small houses, but a city nonetheless. He reached for another domino – he had spread them out in front of him – and accidentally knocked one off the table.

As he reached down, he noticed that none of them wore shoes.

The train gave an unexpectedly huge lurch, and just as the boy was straightening up to resume his creation, it toppled over, the pieces spilling everywhere. His face didn’t change. He still looked intent on his craft. Without a single complaint, he slid under the table and started scooping up his toys before beginning his construction all over again.

Jaden turned from the children, surveying the mostly deserted train car. There were only two other passengers – an elderly man with wispy grey hair who seemed intent on muttering to himself, and across the aisle from him, a young man who appeared to be asleep and could not be older than nineteen.

The old man looked up, meeting Jaden’s eyes. Jaden felt his heart jump – he had seen that look before. Instinct told him he was looking into the eyes of a powerful military veteran. He was both awed and terrified – if he was a German soldier, Jaden could be killed. If he was American, Jaden would be sent back to the front lines.

But the old man gave a tiny nod, seeming to read Jaden’s mind. He hesitated. The man gave a slightly stronger nod. Jaden made a snap decision – one that had the possibility of being fatal – and stood up, walking to where the old man sat.

“Sit,” he said. Jaden obeyed. The old man nodded towards the sleeping teenager to his right.

“That lad isn’t as clever as you are,” he said. “You at least had the sense to change clothes. He’s still in his military uniform.”

Jaden gaped. “How did you-”

“There’s no hiding the look in your eye, son,” he interrupted. “You have served in this war. You have seen the fighting. You have seen death. It’s written all over your face.”

The man spoke with slightly accented English. He traced circles on the table before him using his index finger. He seemed tired, Jaden noted, observing how his shoulders sloped downward and how he hunched over himself as if protecting something important.

“What’s your name, son?”

“Jaden. Jaden Hendrix.”

“Keith,” the older man replied before falling silent again. Jaden sat in tense silence for several moments before his nerves finally snapped.

“You’re not going to report me, are you? Or kill me for deserting?” he blurted.

Keith shook his head. “No. You leave if you want to leave – I’m sure you have a dignified reason.”

Jaden reflexively fingered the photo in his pocket. The old man paid no mind, continuing talking to the table in front of him.

“The consequences are yours, not mine. Be warned, though – being so liberal with your full name could come back to haunt you.”

He nodded again towards the sleeping soldier. “Again, he isn’t so smart. He’s walking around with his name on his chest – how many Witkowskis are in the military? I suggest you take him under your wing. You’re both deserters but you’re clearly the more intelligent, more experienced one. Help your fellow man if you’re not going to kill him.”

“But… he’s a German soldier,” Jaden protested, eyeing the teen’s horribly familiar garments. “He could kill me at any time.”

“Look at him,” Keith said sadly. “Does he look like a killer to you?”
Before Jaden had time to respond, a sharp cry of frustration broke through their conversation. The middle child’s domino city had fallen again, and his broken sobs said that he’d given up hope.

“Wait here,” Keith said, standing up slowly, picking up the cane from the seat next to him. Jaden half stood to help, but Keith was already on his way down the aisle. Jaden sat slowly back down, glancing over at the young German soldier, who had been awoken by the child’s cries and was looking around, bewildered. Jaden nodded at him before turning in his seat to watch Keith.

He was conversing in low tones with the child. For once, some of the words carried through the car, and Jaden heard the distinct sounds of harsh German. Jaden was shocked – he’d noticed Keith’s accented English but had thought that he was simply from England or some other country like that. But German? He didn’t look German.

Jaden glanced over at the soldier again. He had gone back to sleep now that the child had stopped crying. Turning his attention back to Keith, he watched as the older man produced a small pile of sweets from somewhere within his coat. All three children brightened and reached for the sweets. He handed it to them at a nod from their mother.

Jaden distinctly heard the mother utter the German word for “thank you,” and watched in awe as Keith stumped back to his seat.

“Even the natives are forced to flee this place, the most rural of communities,” he said sadly as he sat back down. “War has torn apart that woman’s family – her husband and oldest son were both drafted, both killed. She’s fleeing to France as fast as she can.”

Jaden could only gape.

“Am I… the only American in here?” he said stupidly. Keith nodded.
“What did you expect? You are in Germany, on a German civilian train.”
Jaden stood up.

“I can’t stay here,” he said hurriedly. “I can’t… I’m getting off at the next station.”

“Now why would you do that?” Keith asked.

“Because… because you’re all going to kill me.”

Keith chuckled, surprising Jaden.

“So the American discovers he is in the presence of the ‘enemy,’” he said. “Boy, you listen to the… how do you say? Propaganda of your superiors too much. Not all Germans are dangerous. Only the ones with guns and the intent to kill. Do you honestly feel threatened by anyone here?”

Keith waved his arm at the rest of the car. The children were sucking happily on their sweets, their mother cooing to them in soft German. The soldier boy slept on.

“…No. I… I don’t,” Jaden admitted.

“Good. Then sit down. Enjoy a train ride in good company.”

Jaden obeyed, sitting straight, shoulders tensed.

“You have been conditioned to despise and fear Germans, yes? But tell me, Jaden. What do you see here that is any different from your America that you fight so bravely for? Or not so bravely, seeing as how you’re here.”
Jaden thought for a moment. His hand wandered to his pocket for a third time, feeling the comforting edge of the photograph.

“What’s that you’ve got there?” Keith said, taking notice this time. “Let me see.”

Jaden pulled out the photograph – it showed a young woman, just barely in the tail end of her twenties. She was beautiful, smiling as an unseen wind whipped her hair around her head like a halo, frozen behind her head in the photograph. She wore a plain white gown, her stomach just barely bulging outwards.

“A girlfriend? A wife?” Keith asked, staring at the photo.

“Wife. Who is quite close to giving birth.”

Keith handed back the photo and Jaden pocketed it.

“She is very beautiful. You are a lucky man.”

Keith reached to his neck, his fingers slipping down his cotton shirt and returning with a fine gold chain in tow.

“I too have a lovely wife to return to,” Keith said, opening the heavy-looking locket on the end of the chain. “No children, though. They have all grown old and moved on. It is just her and I now.”

“She’s equally beautiful,” Jaden said. Keith smiled, tucking the locket away.
“You see? Just because we come from different places does not mean we are so very different.

“Look. All of us are going somewhere, searching for a better life. You are going home to wife and unborn child. I am going home to my own wife. Those children are searching for a better place to live their lives. And that young soldier is off to get a late start on his own life. And then look out the window and see the reasons why.

“This is what we are forced to do – to give up our lives and flee in search of happiness. Is that not one of the fundamental beliefs of American law?”
Jaden nodded. Keith leaned back in his seat and closed his eyes.
“I’d like to see America some day,” he said. “It sounds like a wonderful place. Although I fear my old age will prevent me from doing that.”
He paused, a sort of blissful smile across his face. Jaden couldn’t help but stare.

“It doesn’t matter where we’re from,” Keith said after a long while. “We all go the same way home. And that’s what matters.”

Soon after, he fell asleep.

+++

Hours later, the train pulled into a station in west France, a country free of fighting. It was an allied country – Jaden could take a boat over to England and be safe until he could take another ship back to America.

With only one bag to collect, he was the first ready to disembark the train. He stood waiting at the closed car door, shifting his weight from foot to foot. The German soldier was second. Jaden smiled at him as the younger man came to stand behind him. His eyes turned to the three children and their tired-looking mother, drifting to the boys’ six bare feet. He frowned and stepped back into the car, setting his bag on the nearest seat.

Not trusting his German, Jaden only held out three worn pairs of shoes – they were far too big for the boys and one pair was his old combat boots, but they were better than nothing. He looked pointedly at their mother.

“These are for your sons,” he said slowly, in English. He tried gesturing, but the woman only stared at him blankly.

Much to his relief, Keith came limping up then and translated what Jaden had said to German. A look of comprehension dawned on the woman, quickly replaced by gratitude as she took the shoes and bowed low. Jaden waved the favour aside.

“Best of luck to you, Jaden,” Keith said, clapping him on the shoulder as the train’s doors were flung open and he stumped to the exit. Jaden bowed to the woman, gesturing for her to shepherd her boys off the train first.

He hopped the two or three stairs that separated the car from the platform and looked around. All the passengers from his car were streaming away, dispersing amongst the French crowds. Jaden watched them for a moment, his eyes lingering on the young soldier.

Keith’s words reverberated through his head, and he made another snap decision.

“Hey, Witkowski! Wait,” he called. The soldier turned. Jaden, not bothering to be surprised that the soldier understood English, jogged to catch up with him. He slung one arm around his fellow soldier’s shoulder and guided him away.

“Let me help you.”
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:12 pm
Alainna says...

I'm in love with it too.

When I first looked at it I was a little worried about the length - I hate reading long pieces off the computer. But the content definitely made up for it.

Then again –

Here I think ... would work better. Just because it leaves the sentence less harsh, if that makes sense. It adds a sense of wonder, rather than interruption.

As he reached down, he noticed that none of them wore shoes.

Slightly confusing sentence to follow on from the last. Try re-phrasing. Perhaps: As the boy reached down Jaden noticed that none of them wore shoes. Or something like that.

I was wondering about that. You really have thought of everything with this piece.

Jaden distinctly heard the mother utter the German word for “thank you,” and watched in awe as Keith stumped back to his seat.

Perhaps we can have the word for thank you? Just adds to the piece even more.

You are going home to wife and unborn child.

Either:
'You are going home to a wife and unborn child.'
Or:
'You are going home to your wife and unborn child.'

I really, really, really, really liked this piece. I think it would be great if you entered it for the next Literary Journal. Sorry that there isn't much to work from in this crit - I just can't find any real mistakes and I was so absorbed by the actual story that I wasn't reading it with intent to crit.

All the best,
Alainna
xx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:23 pm
StellaThomas says...

I really liked it. It's very touching, and much better than what I do when bored in exams (today I went over all of my words five times in biro for the last forty five minutes of Latin)...

Sorry, I wasn't paying close enough attention to crit, only to say that I liked this a lot.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:58 pm
BigBadBear says...

Hey, Razor! What's up? You deserve some critiques after all that you've done for us! So, here I go!

Ooh! Tis WW2! My favorite war ever! Thank you for writing this! *glugs* Ahem... sorry.

He glanced down at himself, still surprised to see civilian clothes. At least no one would be able to pick him out right away – they’d need to get close to him.

Do I need to say anything? ;)

The middle child’s domino city had fallen again, and his broken sobs said that he’d given up hope.

Awwh! Don't give up, kid! The war'll end soon! I just know it! *talking to Razor's characters* *and likes it*

Are you trying to make me feel all terribly warm and fuzzy inside?

Razor!! Gosh, this was the most touching story ever! Wow.... this was incredibly good! The only complaint I have right now is that when the mother accepts the shoes, you just kinda... walk off. We'd get a better 'feel good' feeling if you watch the kids put on the shoes, and the mother thank the soldier.

Wow, Razor. That's all I have to say. I am very intently glad that I have read this. It has such a beautiful moral in it... wow.

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:57 am
Teague says...

Corrections made! Thank you all for all your wonderful comments. :D

Jared >> Lol, this wasn't necessarily WW2? It was just a war, I didn't have a specific one in mind. But it can be WW2 if you want. xD

Much love.

-Saint Razorblade
The Official YWS Pirate :pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:58 am
zankoku_na_tenshi says...

Wow. That was awesome, Razor. Whole new levels of pure awesome. I absolutely loved it.

I adore the title, by the way.

I did think there were a few sentences, specifically these two:
Jaden’s heart beat a wild tempo, every beat so loud that he heard every single thump.

“Not this shit again,” one of them groaned. “We’ll be lucky if we make it out of here alive again.

...where I couldn't tell if the repetition of the words I put in bold was intentional or not. If you meant to do it, by all means, keep it. If not, you might want to try synonyms or rephrasing the sentences or something, because the repetition was a tiny bit distracting, especially with "again."

But OMG is this awesome. You rock.
"The world is not beautiful, therefore, it is." --Kino's Journey

Hey, how about a free review?

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:15 am
Fall_Into_The_Sky says...

I love this story.
It shows the hardships of war, but also how people are all the same.
Man I wish we didn't have wars...
The only wrong love is only one never felt.
Live to day as if your would die tomorrow.
Love like you know no other, dream as if they'd come true, hope because you can reach the stars.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:49 pm
JabberHut says...

Hey, Razzle! I had this crit for about twenty-four hours and already six people reviewed. XD I'm a slow rear, but heck, I'm postin' anyway. You deserve it! :D

The sun was coming over the treetops, the sun was coming up...

Both sides of the comma state the same thing? So basically repetition. That can probably be adjusted, unless I was reading the entire sentence incorrectly?

The train station was filled with only a handful of sleepy-looking, early morning passengers.

It scared him into curling into a ball and not looking anywhere other than his shoes.

Repetition. :P

was carefully constructing a bizarre structure out of a set of antiquated dominoes

This might just be a nit-pick repetition...

“You, at least, had the sense to change clothes. He’s still in his military uniform.”

The old man paid no mind, continuing talking to the table in front of him.

A nit-pick repetition of -ing words?

“Boy, you listen to the… how do you say? Propaganda of your superiors too much.

"Boy, you listen to the--how do you say?--propaganda of your superiors too much.

I'm trusting that I didn't repeat anything, seeing as you edit your pieces very quickly. :lol: If I did though, shame on me and I apologize. :D

It was really good, though. This would probably make sense as a WWII piece, yes. I loved it, I like to read about that war too. You did very well, and I didn't find a lot of things. Great grammar! I think you developed Jaden very well too. I think the last part I was a bit confused about:

“Let me help you.”

Jaden said the first quote, right? Did he say the second one too? It would make sense, but then it would have to be in the same line as the first quote. :lol:

Anyway, bravo! Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:42 pm
Shadow_Thief13 says...

Beautiful, man! I just love the history of wars but hate them in the real world. When I was like 3, I remember the gunshots while I was on a destroyer with my grandpa and other family. We were lucky to get out alive and onto shore from those wild waves a death! :cry:

Oh well...

ST
By the Gods... Please let inspiration strike me! (Just in a non-violent way O.o)

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:40 pm
kokobeans says...

Oh my word that was amazing! I love the way you've started with one main character and given everyone on the train their own personality and story, nicely done.

This is a brilliant piece, though there are a few things that could be modified.

I assumed by the way that Jaden was acting and the fact that he has a wife that he's in his early twenties. I was quite unsure for the first few paragraphs, so maybe you could drop a hint of his age a little earlier.

Some of your sentences have a few too many commas, mainly the descriptive ones. Try to use commas for natural pauses and such rather than slowing the pace or adding effect.

I really like your use of vocabulary. It makes your writing very genuine and every sentence unique. Nice job.

I think you could try distributing the not-so-regular words throughout the whole piece. You seem to use a few too many complex words in the first few paragraphs. That's just my opinion though, it would probably be alright for an older or more advanced audiance. When the reader has to constantly work out what some words mean it breaks the flow of the story.

I think if you work on your description a little you could go from brilliance to excellence, so keep up the good work. Kudos.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:59 pm
Emerson says...

“All aboard,” he called at the top of his baritone voice, reverberating off the trees and making Jaden wince – every sound was one that could give him away.
Is this Jaden speaking? I'm slightly confused... I can't figure out if he is waiting for the train or is a train boy or something.

The war had clearly [s]already[/s] broken his spirit.
I don't like the sound of "clearly already" and you don't really need that word, so.

at least one innocent spirit.
This is awkward. Why not "All the fighting an devastation hadn't spoiled all the innocent spirits"? The "at least one" is blucky and odd.

The old man paid no mind, continuing talking to the table in front of him.
The old man paid no mind and continued talking/to talk...

Only the ones with guns and the intent to kill are [s]so[/s].

The soldier boy slept on.
continued to sleep. "slept on" makes sense but is weird.

I too have a lovely wife to return to
The phonetic sound of "to" is in this sentence too much, hah. I think you'd be fit to change "too" into "also" or something.

he was the first ready to disembark the train.
"first ready" and "disembark the train" sound weird. Would you say disembark on the train? I'm not sure...

You may want to indicate which boy is saying this.

aww, it's cute. :D I have to admit it isn't amazing but it is good. I tend to ask more of stories. There was kind of conflict, and the beginning was a bit slow, but it was a good story no less. I can't prod you and stick matches under your feet for writing something good. I think you could have done more with characterization, and description. Try giving the piece a mood, and atmosphere. Hide the theme on the back of the paper with invisible ink--don't write it in bright bold letters at the top of the page, if you understand what I'm saying. It didn't come off that you were writing a story around a theme, rather than a theme around a story, but if you developed the story so it was stronger, or more...I'm not sure? Just more than it will make everything about it more enjoyable.

That probably didn't help much at all or make sense. Heh.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:54 am
Wolf says...

Hey Razor! :D
I had a nice long critique for you, but when I tried to post it, I was suddenly logged off and I lost my review! >.< So, I'll just give you overall impressions and maybe when I'm less tired, I'll redo my long crit.

Jaden’s heart beat a wild tempo, each beat so loud that he heard every single thump.

This would be a good opening sentence, but for the fact that it sounds kind of awkward as 'beat', 'tempo' and 'thump' basically mean the same thing. It kind of bugged me to read, anyway. Maybe you should try: Jaden's heart beat wildly, each beat so loud he could hear it. :)

Anyway. Just one nit-pick, seeing as I've lost the rest. ^_~ I think this piece could benefit from more sensual description -- use the five senses for imagery more often. There isn't much description in the first place; using the five senses, I think, would help in creating a much more vivid mental image.

He paused, a sort of blissful smile across his face.

This nit-pick too. :lol: There's nothing strictly wrong with this phrase, but I think it sounds kinda iffy. Maybe you should try: He paused, a sort of blissful smile on his face. Or: He paused, a sort of blissful smile spreading across his face.

Moving on now. I agree with Suz that some more characterization would be good -- Jaden and the others are pretty good as of now, but I find that even small things can make a big difference. What I mean to say is that you might benefit from giving your characters little pet peeves, habits, quirks -- barely noticeable things that make a person who they are. You savvy?

Yes. Overall, I quite like this. I usually don't enjoy stories about war (war is just waaaaay too cold-hard-real for fantasy freaks like me) but this was cute and... likable, really. :D I think you did well in pacing (although the beginning was a little slow...) and the dialogue was realistic and credible.

Kudos! I look forwards to reading more of your work -- hopefully I won't lost my crit next time. :P

- Camille xx
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:40 am
Azila says...

Hi Saint!

This piece is really solid, and smooth, so my nit-picks will probably be pretty--well--nitpicky... ^_^

Jaden’s heart beat a wild tempo, each beat so loud that he heard every single thump. The sun was coming over the treetops, the sun was coming up and his heart was making noise like an approaching storm and he felt naked, vulnerable, conspicuous –
I like the concept of this opening paragraph, but frankly, I don't like the paragraph its self. The writing is choppy (too many "and"s in the second sentence!) and there is too much repetition for my liking. I have made bold the repeated sections. I understand that the repetition of "The sun was coming" is intentional, but I still don't like it. >.>

Jaden jumped a foot in the air when the incoming train blew its whistle, loud and clear.
He didn't actually jump a foot, did he? I mean you really need to try to jump a foot. I suggest you get rid of the exaggeration as it adds a surrealistic and almost humorous feel to a otherwise serious piece.

“All aboard,” he called at the top of his baritone voice, reverberating off the trees and making Jaden wince – every sound was one that could give him away.
Wouldn't he say it in German? Just a thought that I had when I was reading this for the second time...

Jaden shut out all thoughts of the war and climbed aboard the train, throwing his lone bag underneath a table affixed to the wall and sitting down in one of the seats surrounding it.
You said "lone bag" before, maybe nix the "lone" this time?

This is unnecessary, seeing as your description of the boy makes us pity him.

The train gave an unexpected, huge lurch, and just as the boy was straightening up to resume his creation, it toppled over, the pieces spilling everywhere.
For some reason, I think it would flow better if you switched "unexpected" and "huge." Maybe that's just me though?

Help your fellow man if you’re not going to kill him.
I just have to tell you, this is one of my favorite lines ever... especially in the context.

All the passengers from his car were streaming away, dispersing amongst the French crowds.
This is really nitpicky, but I'll say it anyway: The word "streaming" gives me the image of people going swiftly and fluidly, but when you say "dispersing amongst the crowds." it gives the impression of jostling and squeezing...

I like this a lot. So much, that i think it would make a better ending line than the current one.
----------------

Overall, I really like this piece.

I agree with some other reviewers that at this point all the characters come off as pretty much the same, and you should add more definition to their personalities.

I also agree with Camille that you should add more sensual description: is it cold out? Is the strain stuffy or are there leaks around the windows? Are the seats on the train hard wood or cushy leather/fabric?

The dialogue is mostly very good, but I don't like this part:
The reason I don't like it is because it seems unrealistic--something that would only happen in a book or movie, not real life. the truth of the matter is that the civilians have seen fighting and death almost as much as the soldiers, and are probably just as (if not more) effected by it.

One of my main problems with this piece is the fact that you say "Jaden" with annoying frequency. Most of the time, a simple "he" would do nicely. Here's one where the repetition is particularly unnecessary:
The mother and three young children who had boarded the train with Jaden had settled into seats a few rows in front of Jaden and across the aisle.

I suggest you comb through the whole piece carefully to take care of this problem.

If you need any help with that (or anything else, for that matter) feel free to PM me and I'll help you out to the best of my ability!

I hope this helps!

~Azila~
P.S. PM me if you do a major edit to this!
Last edited by Azila on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:13 pm
KJ says...

This was awesome. The descriptions were perfect, and I was able to create a mental picture of the setting and your characters (Keith was my favorite). I also really liked the dialogue. It was touching when Jaden gave those boys the shoes.

It's kind of weird--I just learned about WW1 a couple days ago. If I hadn't of, I probably wouldn't have been able to follow this. So that was pretty cool for me, seeing propaganda and going HEY I KNOW WHAT THAT IS!

I only had ONE thing that bothered me. It was when Jaden thought to himself: Poor thing. Guys don't really think like that, do they? It sounded very much like a feminine line. I would have thought in a situation like that he'd have thought something like: Poor kid.

But it was just great. I really liked it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— Someone Incredibly Noncommittal