z

Young Writers Society

Flames of Lecraesa: Chapter 1 (Sray-Valom)

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:53 am
Writersdomain says...

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7

So, I finally decided to post the beginning of my first book on here. The chapters are very long, so I will probably end up splitting them by scenes which I originally wrote them in. All comments and critiques are more than welcome.

Flames of Lecraesa

Prologue

Some ashes are destined to be found.

Wilted flowers dangling lifelessly from their roots, scorched vines were peeling off the crumbling buildings standing in a courtyard of ashes. The stench of smoke was heavy in the air and dust obscured all vision. Failing fires flickered among the smoldering timbers and stones, consuming what charred remains of life still lingered in the devastated city, and the larger stones protruding from the rubble wept, drizzle glistening on their marble-like surfaces, and the silver grass that once surrounded them seared a burnt hue of black.

The sun hid her face that morning in shame; some even ventured to say she never rose. She retreated from the sky and shirked her duty to sob far away – only her tears touching the flames she fled from. That day the hillside echoed with ghostly cries of defeat; that day a people yielded to the hands of their conquerors like dogs following their new master’s heels, unaware of the knife in the hand beside them. The flame that had once flickered in every man’s eye, the hope that they prayed would never die, faded into a small spiral of smoke, forgotten and neglected for years. But some fires cannot be quenched and some ashes are destined to be found.

After years of shadow and fear, new vines began to grow upon the stone faces of the dead city and the sun no longer hid behind the clouds. She looked upon a different world with determined eyes. In Kalinth, a king discovered the few rays of hope lingering under his shadow and lit his land in a frantic fire – a fire destined to destroy what remained of the dead city and a fire that lit the sky, entrancing the eyes of young ones who would never forget the day - the day the flames of Lecräesa once again raged.

Fingers stiff and cold with fear, the woman closed the old book, clutching her old, tattered cloak about her shoulders. Shivering, she huddled in the dusty corner of the large room and winced as the shouts of soldiers grew louder and louder outside her house. It would be a few hours before they discovered the back door open where her companions had escaped. Squeezing her eyes shut and hugging herself tightly, the woman fought a frightened sob. Strick, where are you?

Chapter 1: Sray-Valom

A tattered flag wrenched in the fierce wind, convulsing as the flames consumed its charred threads. It blazed, black smoke spiraling into the cloudless sky. Commoners were massed around the smoldering wooden pole, and the surrounding streets teemed with curious townspeople, the ashes of the crumbling guard tower that now littered the ground billowing in the musty air.

Shrieks pierced the swarm of muddled voices as the top of the pole collapsed, and the burning flag toppled down upon the people below. The sickening crack of the pole against the corner of the gallows was unnoticed amid the deafening roar that erupted from the crowd. Puddles from last night’s rain doused the fire, leaving the flag a tangled heap of cloth twisted upon the muddy street.

Creiha Arlondom shouldered her way through the edges of the crowd, her eyes widening in horror when the flag struck the ground. The people surged forward, hauling her along with them. She fought the flailing arms and tripped in the gutter, collapsing to her knees on the dirt path. Running one hand through her mud-matted hair, she pulled a few strands away from her smudged face and scanned the street desperately for her sister. “Criscialda!” she called, her heart racing in fear. “Criscialda!”

“Creiha!” an excited voice answered from a few feet behind Creiha, and she turned abruptly to see her sister racing towards her with a huge grin. “Creiha, there you are! Where you have been?”

“Where have I been? Where have you been?! You worried us all sick, especially Mother! What are you doing out here?” Creiha demanded, her face flushing a bright hue of red.

“I’m supporting my people!” announced Criscialda with a grimace, affronted by her sister’s harsh tone, “I’ve been here since sunrise. Look, isn’t it wonderful? The king thought he could tell us what to do. Well, ha! Let him march his extravagant procession through this city and see his flag a dirty rag to clean the streets.” Criscialda stretched her hand towards the gallows in a glamorous sweeping motion.

“Criscialda, the king will ‘march his extravagant procession’ through here, see the mess you and your radicals have made and punish the city!” Creiha exclaimed in frustration, imitating Criscialda’s alluring gesture.

“You side with the king, then?” Criscialda frowned deeply, a dangerous light entering her emerald eyes.

“I’m not siding with anyone!” Creiha responded, fear creeping into her face. She wished she did not sound so worried. “Crisci, listen to me! Don’t get involved in this; it will be death for all of us. Mother will forgive you; I know she will.”

“I already am involved, Creiha.” Neither sorrow nor triumph held precedence in Criscialda’s face. She suddenly appeared very cold, her eyes flashing with frigid determination.

“Criscialda–” Creiha pleaded, reaching out to touch her sister’s arm.

“No, Creiha!” Criscialda flinched at Creiha’s touch, “No, you have to get out of here before they kill the three Svarë. If you can’t take it, don’t stay. Leave, Creiha,” Criscialda commanded. She knew her order was cruel. She had not forgotten the bond they shared. But theirs was no longer a generous bond; it was only a shadow of what once lingered there between them, and now they were alike in nothing but name.

Creiha shuddered at her sister’s words and squeezed her eyes shut for a moment. When Criscialda did not leave, she sighed deeply and met her sister’s eyes again. “I only see two ropes,” she observed, cocking her head towards the gallows where the crowd gathered.

A grin spread across Criscialda’s face. “Oh, only two Svarë will be hanged. The other will be burned at the stake!” Anticipation rang sweetly in her voice, and her luminous eyes flashed with excitement.

Creiha swallowed hard. “Why?”

Criscialda glanced back at the crowd amassed around the small gallows. “He’s no fun, too dignified. He didn’t scream once, didn’t cry, not when they proclaimed him guilty, not when they burned his left arm.” She met Creiha’s eyes hopefully. “Understand?”

No, Creiha didn’t think she wanted to understand. She breathed shakily, turning her head aside in sadness.

“Well, I’ll see you back at home, Creiha. Promise you’ll be waiting for me?” Criscialda winked and hugged her downcast sister as if nothing was awry before sprinting back towards the dungeon where the soldiers were dragging out two unconscious prisoners and leading out a third. Creiha suppressed an angry sob and turned away from the scene, allowing her feet to lead her away from the crowd.

Creiha hadn’t traveled far before a deafening roar exploded from the crowd; she froze in her steps and dared to glance behind. The third Svarë stood with contrived confidence, staring at the stake where he was to burn. He looked so calm… and yet so frightened, so accepting and yet so shaken, as if every moment was a hard-won fight to keep the terror from his gaze. Black hair hung in tangled tufts around his face, arms bound tightly behind his straight back. His dark eyes glowed with an unheeded emotion and a resolve about his fate, and he winced sharply as the man behind him elbowed him hard in the back. Creiha could not avert her eyes from the innocent Svarë. Chills raced through Creiha as something pulled at the edges of her heart. What was she to do? Dash up there and be killed? No, she had to find her way back home before the crowd grew more dangerous.

“Before you is one of the three offending Svarë – the enemies of this nation. We present you one of the most trusted spies of the Svarë king. To the streets with the king’s order not to lay hands upon the Svarë! We want justice!” The bearded, bulbous man teetered at the edge of the gallows, shouting with a blazing passion and eyes alight with fervor.

“Justice! Justice!” shrieked the people below, fists being thrust into the air with every roar. “Justice!”

An urge to help the innocent prisoner swelled within Creiha, her eyes still fixed on the Svarë. The Svarë lifted his head slightly at the people’s roar as if preparing himself for what lay ahead while daring the people to make him break beneath their torture.

“Svarë, do you have anything to say about these charges?” snarled one of the other men gripping the Svarë man’s arm tightly.

Creiha saw the Svarë man’s mouth move, but heard nothing over the crowd. This has already gone too far. Creiha told herself and picked her skirts off the muddy ground, sprinting back towards the crowd.

“The Svarë has nothing to say!” announced one of the men before he turned to the pompous leader for his next move.

While the man was leaning over to whisper something in a messenger boy’s ear, the Svarë closed his eyes, his face paling and seeming to glow in the sun. Creiha halted in her run for the gallows in order to join the crowd’s curious stare. And then she felt it – the stirring of the breeze around her, the deep rumble far off. Her eyes narrowed as the leaves at her feet danced in the mud. Creiha crept past the front line of the crowd to duck below the creaking boards of the gallows. Just above her head, the straw that was stacked around the stake caught in her hair; she crawled to the foot of the gallows and stood slowly.

The Svarë heard Creiha rustle the straw by the stake and turned his head slightly, eyes opening and meeting Creiha’s gaze curiously. Creiha stared back at him in awe. She wasn’t sure why she was standing there staring at him; she wondered why she didn’t run home, appalled at the sight. A movement entranced Creiha’s eye, and she glimpsed a single flame stemming from the torch in the hand of the guard reaching towards the pole, a little gust of wind urging it forward. Her eyes flitted from the torch to the man and back again. A hint of mischief glowed in the man’s eyes, and a strange, weak smirk lifted the corners of his mouth.

It occurred to Creiha that, indeed, he did not look fully Svarë at such a close glance. He might possess Svarë blood, but he was not Svarë. The flame singed the edge of the stake but retreated as quickly as it had reached. The man seemed focused on the little flame, and Creiha watched in wonder as the flame once more was propelled by a gust of wind. This time it grazed the straw. The little fire flickered weakly before spreading, slowly at first and then rapidly, consuming the straw in its path. The guard nearest cried out in alarm and demanded that his men fetch water. The guard holding the man’s hands behind his back shrieked in fear and took a frenzied step forward, the man teetering dangerously by the fire, panic crossing his face when he almost tripped.

The bulbous announcer observed this grimly and cocked his head at his chief guard. The chief nodded and shoved the frenzied guard out of the way, gripping the prisoner’s wrists cruelly and forcing him to his knees.

“No,” whispered Creiha in alarm. She scrambled up the steep ledge of the gallows in desperation, but her dash for the scene was too late.

The chief placed a hand on the back of the prisoner’s head and shoved his face down into the fire. The prisoner screamed, a shocked, piercing scream that chilled Creiha’s spine. Creiha cried out in rage, running and kicking the chief of the guard hard in the shin. The unsuspecting chief fell backwards, tripping over himself and falling into the now raging fire below. Covering her mouth to stifle her cry of shock when the chief vanished into the flames, Creiha was about to rush for cover of the woods when the prisoner’s labored breathing below caught her attention. She knelt down beside the man, ignorant of the indignant crowd scrambling for the gallows to kill them both and was happy to see at least one side of his face unharmed. She helped him to his feet.

Before Creiha could lead him toward the forest nearby, a splitting pain ravaged her arm, and a hard sword cracked on her head. She shrieked in surprise and collapsed to the wooden boards of the gallows, barely hearing the stampeding footsteps of the crowd rushing toward her. Out of the corner of her eye she could see a guard’s silver sword raised above her, ready to behead her, but as the sword began to fall, another sword clashed with it, and the guard cried out, falling backwards at the force. Creiha felt a strong arm wrap around her waist and she was sure death had already claimed her when a violet wind engulfed her.

~

Some general notes:
This first scene has been heavily cut multiple times, so I feel it is a little bare in description. Is this just me and my love of description or is it lacking in that area?
Also, I feel like in some of the actions sequences, the guards with no names and the prisoner/Svare who has no name in this scene can get confused. Did anyone have any trouble understanding who was doing what?

Lastly, I feel like perhaps I am telling too much in the little piece where Creiha talks about how she and Crisci no longer have the same bond they once had; that their bond is a shadow of what once was and how they are alike in nothing but name. It is a powerful piece of foreshadowing, but I keep wondering if I am giving away too much there.

(Chapter 1 continued)

Creiha moaned softly and rolled over, wincing as her shoulder struck a rock. For a moment, she just lay there, a placid breeze combing through her hair and tickling the backs of her legs. She shivered at the freezing dew stinging her face and unconsciously pulled a cloth that didn’t smell familiar around her. “Where am I?” she murmured to herself.

“Nowhere special.” A male voice startled her, and Creiha twisted toward the sound, sitting up abruptly. Clenching her teeth, Creiha groaned at the sharp pain in her arm.

A bolt of fear coursed through her when she saw the prisoner sitting on a rock across from her. “What are you doing here?” Creiha cried in alarm.

“What am I doing here?” The man stared at her calmly, a ghost of a smirk playing upon his face. He might have appeared mysterious if not for his laidback manner.

“Yes, what are you doing here? Do you carry women off into uncharted forests often?” Creiha frowned at him, wincing at the pain erupting in her head and rubbing her temples with the heels of her palms.

“You make me sound like a criminal. This is not an uncharted forest. Now I get to ask a question. Are you out of your mind?” When Creiha looked up in surprise, she could see his face was impassive and controlled, his eyes trained upon her with subtle interest.

Creiha glared at him. “Excuse me?” she whispered incredulously.

“Are you out of your mind?” the man asked again, leaning back and staring at her expectantly.

Creiha opened her mouth to respond, but her words were stolen away when she glimpsed his incredible blue eyes. His eyes were whirlpools, deep wells of blue turning slowly and swirling from light blue to dark blue and all shades in between. Creiha had never seen eyes like his. “No, I am not out of my mind, thank you very much!” she informed him in a faint voice.

“Well, in that case, thank you.” The prisoner nodded with the beginnings of a smile and stood slowly, wincing almost unnoticeably, and Creiha was surprised to see his right arm swathed in drenched, mud-stained bandages that hung limply around the injured limb.

“Um, you’re welcome, I guess.” Creiha eyed him uncertainly, her fear dissipating in the endless expanse of his eyes. “Why did you bring me here?” she asked.

“I didn’t deem it wise to let the guard decapitate you at the time,” the man said casually, shrugging slightly and kneeling to reach into a small bag he had managed to conceal.

“At the time?” Creiha grimaced.

“At the time.”

“So, you would ‘deem it wise’ to let the guard decapitate me at another time?” she asked, fear stirring in the pit of her stomach.

“Perhaps.” He didn’t notice the angry scowl on Creiha’s face when he began pulling out two clean bandages and two bizarre-shaped leaves.

“How encouraging,” Creiha murmured, glaring at him beneath her eyelashes. “I can take care of myself anyways. I don’t need some prisoner dragging me away from my angry hometown!” She crossed her arms and glancied down at the ground.

“You’re welcome,” the man responded. “Now sit down.” He motioned for her to sit on the rock beside her.

“Why?” Creiha asked suspiciously, leaning away from him instinctively.

“Because you’re bleeding” The man frowned.

Creiha pointed to her legs and face, a stubborn scowl edging its way across her lips. “I am not bleeding! See? No blood!”

The man sighed, aggravated, “Your arm.”

Creiha winced and slowly turned her head to look at her arm. An arrow was buried in the joint, blood painting her arm gruesomely. “Now you made me look!” she complained and wrinkled her nose, “Everyone knows it hurts more when you look!”

“You didn’t have to look. You could have just taken my word for it,” the man muttered. Before Creiha could assent, he crouched on the ground in front of the rock she had climbed onto and was examining her arm gently.
Creiha swallowed hard and stared down at him, wondering who he was and why he had bothered to rescue her. She felt her heart pounding hard in her chest, fear and excitement intermingled.

“Try not to scream,” the man advised her calmly, reaching for the leaves.

Creiha bit her lower lip, heat creeping into her face. “I don’t scream; I’ve never screamed from pain. I can take anything. I- Aaaah!” Creiha screamed when the man yanked the arrow out of her arm, dropping it so he could handle the leaves. Creiha’s head fell to his shoulder when she screamed again. The man froze in his work, stiffening in surprise until her scream died in her throat, and Creiha blinked, realizing what had happened and quickly shoving him away. The man began arranging the leaves on her arm as if nothing had happened. “I’m sorry,” Creiha apologized in embarrassment, wiping at an unbidden tear with her good arm.

“It’s all right.” The man lifted his head and smiled weakly. The breeze pushed his hair to the side and revealed a long red-blotched area on the side of his face.

Angry bile rose in Creiha’s throat when she saw the ghastly, discolored burn on the right side of his face. Her eyes traveled down the burn gravely, down his face and shoulder until they rested on his left arm, bound with soiled bandages. She remembered Criscialda saying something about burning his left arm. Crisci…Creiha flinched in surprise when a cold cloth touched her injured arm; she glanced down to see the man wrapping her arm in an off-white fabric over the leaves. “What about your arm and face?” she asked softly.

The man shrugged, “I’ll be fine. I know a monk nearby, and these leaves should be able to staunch the bleeding until we get there.”

Creiha blinked, “Wait, we’re going somewhere?” What was he saying? Did he really intend to take her from her home? Creiha’s eyes danced with an unbidden excitement. A certain intrigue lay in a world outside Sray-Valom. But to leave her family? Criscialda will hate me if I go back. They’ll be ashamed. Creiha thought grimly. Her sister had always called her a skeptic; Criscialda would have followed this man with dreamy eyes.

“You can stay here if you wish, but I’m not,” the man replied.

He appeared calm, almost uncaring about what had happened, but Creiha knew by the way his arms trembled as he tied the last bandage around her arm that he was shaken by the thought of the stake and fire. And who wouldn’t be? He had every right to be shaken, even fearful, but it seemed he thought otherwise.

Creiha lowered her eyes indecisively. She would miss her family; she would miss her town, but who was to say they would accept her after what she had done? Her parents would be ashamed of her; her town would loathe her. Creiha lowered her head bitterly. But this– this was an opportunity for adventure, an opportunity for the intrigue she had dreamed of. And this man didn’t seem all that bad, especially for one who was almost burned at the stake. Surely she could choose to return if she didn’t like the world outside, right? “May I ask your name?”

“Yes,” her rescuer answered shortly.

“Well, what’s your name?” Creiha would not be dissuaded.

“You may call me Strick,” Strick informed her with a small nod of his head. He was standing now, biting his lip against the pain that ravaged his arm hanging limply at his side. Creiha could see that his arm was anything but fine, but she was frightened to offer any help.

“Strick?” Creiha asked incredulously. It was a strange name, probably not his full name if his real name at all. “What does it mean?” she asked curiously.

Strick smiled more bitterly this time, an unexpected pain in his expression, “It means Strick,” he said quietly.

“So, Strick means Strick. That doesn’t help me.” Creiha crossed her arms and leaned back.

“No, it doesn’t… not yet at least,” he affirmed and quickly moved on, “So, are you coming or not? If there is any chance of reaching the monk’s place before sunrise, we have to head out soon.”

“We can’t travel by night!” Creiha exclaimed, shaking her head in surprise. The flash of worry that crossed Strick’s eyes alarmed Creiha, but she continued anyways. “The roads are dangerous at night, and– and there are robbers.”

“I’ve never known robbers to attack travelers who can defend themselves.” Strick said grimly, glancing out at the trees longingly.

“Surely we can wait until morning, can’t we? I’m exhausted, and I can’t return to Sray-Valom,” Creiha pleaded in a low, expressive voice, “and your arm. It doesn’t look so good.”

Strick straightened his mouth into a thin, pale line and nodded hesitantly, something akin to fear veiling his features. “And who are you?”

“Creiha. My name is Creiha,” Creiha told him with a smile.

Strick nodded distractedly.

Creiha sighed in relief. “Thank you,” she whispered in exhaustion and sat down where she had awakened, her hands remembering the strange feel of the blanket. She lifted the blanket, which was actually an old, threadbare cloak, and smiled, “Is this yours?”

“Yes, but you need it more than I do. You were shivering when I first brought you here, and, I daresay, it has gotten colder more than warmer since earlier tonight.” Strick smirked crookedly, sending Creiha’s heart into a sequence of excited spasms.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I believe I’ve had enough heat for today,” Strick said mirthlessly.

“Thanks.” Creiha lay down slowly, wincing at the pain in her arm. She heard Strick sigh and retreat to his rock. Smiling, she rested her head on the grass, suddenly feeling an unbidden elation. Deep in the rivets of her racing heart, Creiha nurtured the lingering idea that life was beginning over again.
~
Notes: If anyone could give me some character impression of Strick and Creiha, it would be wonderful. Besides that, I'm worried that perhaps Strick is too easily convinced to wait for the night. I know you all don't know why he wants to leave so badly, but any suggestions are welcomed. :)
Last edited by Writersdomain on Sun May 27, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 16 times in total.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:41 pm
Twit says...

Very good! I know that seems to be my standard comment, but it is good. The whole story is well written, and your style is very easy to read. The characters are believable, though I like to know a little more about the main character when I start reading. :)
On your general notes: I don't think this is bare; you describe the prisoner/Svare bloke and the whole setting well. I understand about your worry about description, cos description is one of my favourite things to write, and I'm sometimes afraid that I'm just rippling on and wasting too much time on it. But, no, I think you did fine. :wink: The description in the prologue was excellently done, especially.
Action scenes were easy to understand, but it's a bit difficult to judge if there was too much foreshadowing. Ask me again when you've put more of this up. 8)

There were a few things I noticed, though most of them are just me being picky.

writersdomain wrote: His dark, ocean blue eyes glowed with an unheeded emotion

I think his eyes just need to be dark, or ocean blue. It's a bit too much.

writersdomain wrote:The chief placed a hand on the back of the prisoner’s head and shoved his face down into the fire.

Ouchy!!!!

writersdomain wrote:Creiha felt a strong arm wrap around her waist and, she was sure death had already claimed her when a violet wind engulfed her.

You don't need that comma there, and you could put the last bit better: "death had already claimed her" "violet wind engulfed her" is too repetitive.

One word of warning: your vocabulary is very varied, but don't make it too flowery!

Looking forward to the next bit.

-Shadow
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:37 pm
stupidiot92 says...

my god i wish i could write as good as you even a fraction of how good you write would satisfy me
It doesn't think, doesn't feel.
It doesn't laugh or cry.
All it does from dusk 'till dawn
is make the soldiers die

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:32 pm
Riedawriter23 says...

Hmm, this was very nice and refreshing. Excellent description, you didn't over or under do it. Sometimes though, I heard the same word many times in a row. It wasn't like a complete overkill it just sounded funny sometimes. I'm being picky, lol.

Otherwise, this was wonderful. I really liked your prolouge, that was excellent.

Some ashes are destined to be found.

*This was my favorite line and the fact that it was the first line was even better. Great way to start off a story!

Tell me when you write more so I have more to critique I didn't find anything wrong here.(which is good by the way Lol)

Keep it up!
~Rieda
I love, love.
*This wonderful crit is brought to you by CCF!*

563 Reviews

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:11 pm
Writersdomain says...

I posted the next section of chapter 1, if anyone is interested. Thanks for the comments, everyone, and I changed most of the things you pointed out, Shadow.
~ WD

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48
Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:58 pm
Dark Lordess says...

I really liked the prologue at the beginning.

I especially liked this line.

The sun hid her face that morning in shame; some even ventured to say she never rose.

I don't think you were over descriptive. It was very good.

No, I wasn't confused by your fight scene. It seemed pretty clear.

You said you Thought Strick might have been too easily convinced. I don't know why he wanted to go, but I kind of agree. He seemed like a pushover there, and I didn't think that of him earlier! :P

Keep up the great work!
If you have to ask me why I write, you would never understand...

563 Reviews

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:12 pm
Writersdomain says...

Last section of chapter 1

The sky was gray that morning, a thin drizzle falling sporadically. Creiha yawned widely when the bleak light of morning shone through the trees. She narrowed her eyes in concern when she observed it was past sunrise. It was a surprise that Strick had not awakened her by now. She stood slowly, careful of her arm as she drew the old cloak closer around her shoulders and gazed around the small clearing. Dusty brown leaves drifted slowly from the trees above and the grass glistened with beads of dew. “Strick?” Creiha called, worrying fleetingly if he had left without her. Only the scattered chirps of morning crickets responded.

With a small grimace, Creiha paced the clearing silently, enjoying her own idle steps until movement on the edges of the clearing surprised her. She turned to see Strick emerge from the trees, restless and pale. When he saw Creiha, he quickly mustered an unconvincing smile. “I hope you’re ready to leave,” he said softly, voice hoarse but calm.

“Where were you?” Creiha inquired with a frown.

“We need to leave.” Strick ignored her question and shouldered the pack. For a moment, Creiha thought she glimpsed terror in his eyes, but just as abruptly, they clouded over with an inexplicable calm.

“Strick?”

“Yes?”

Creiha pursed her lips, suddenly at loss for words. The longer she stared at him, the more unsettled she felt. Cheeks aflame with uncertainty, Creiha shifted uncomfortably. An awkward silence hung between them and only the chirping of birds could be heard in the clearing.

“How is your arm?” Strick broke the silence uneasily, looking away when Creiha stared at him.

Creiha hadn’t realized until now how sharply her arm ached, barbs of pain spiking through her arm and shoulder with every breath. “Better than yesterday,” she lied. Swallowing a sudden sob as she crossed her arms awkwardly, Creiha wore a painted smile when Strick eyed her doubtfully.

Sighing, Strick signaled for her to follow. He looked exhausted and sick with fear when he stepped toward the edge of the clearing slowly and carefully as if choosing each step with cautious reluctance. Creiha didn’t follow him immediately. For a while, she just stared at his back uneasily while her mind drifted.

When Strick halted and turned to see her still standing there, he grimaced irritably. “Well, are you coming?” His eyes darkened determinedly.

Creiha awoke from her musings quickly and smiled embarrassedly, following him with a driving curiosity. “Yes, I am coming."
~
Last edited by Writersdomain on Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ WD

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:33 pm
Fan says...

Strick strikes me as a strange character.He is mysteriuos as we know nothing about him apart from he is a convicted criminal with one bad-ass burn. For all his callousness, he seems a pretty nice guy as he saved Creiha who saved him. I doubt anyone bad would have done that. Methinks he has some sort of tragic past, am I right?

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:58 am
Esmé says...

‘llo,

How’re you? Basically it’s the title that made me come here, it sounded so cool, lol. I’ll be writing the critique as I read.

Prologue

Quote:
Failing fires flickered among the smoldering timbers and stones, consuming what charred remains of life still lingered in the devastated city, and the larger stones protruding from the rubble wept, drizzle glistening on their marble-like surfaces, and the silver grass that once surrounded them seared a burnt hue of black.

‘(…) consuming what charred remains of life still lingered in the devastated city (…)’ - Maybe its just me but I think this part disrupts the flow a bit - I don’t really get it. Also, you use ‘and’ two time, which I suppose is doesn’t count into the no-repeating rule kind of thing, but still. I suggest splitting this in two, but its really your decision.

Quote:
She retreated from the sky and shirked her duty to sob far away – only her tears touching the flames she fled from.

‘(…) only her tears touching the flames she fled from’ - Not sure here, but can this stand alone?

Quote:
that day a people yielded to the hands of their conquerors like dogs following their new master’s heels, unaware of the knife in the hand beside them.

‘A’ necessary up there?

Quote:
It would be a few hours before they discovered the back door open where her companions had escaped.

‘(…) they discovered the back door open (…)’ - the ‘open’ is irking me there, though I’m not sure about it.

Chapter 1

Quote:
Commoners were massed around the smoldering wood pole

O_o Love the whole sentence btw, lol. ‘Wood=wooden? But I’m not sure.

Quote:
Just above her head, the straw that was stacked around the stake caught in her hair

Again, maybe its just me, but the ‘Just above her head’ part made me reread the sentence.

Oooh, this is very good! I’ll read the continuation and chapter two when I have more time, tomorrow maybe. Can’t wait, hehe. General notes/ comments after I do that. Awesome descriptions, awesome chapter, lol.

-elein

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:38 pm
Esmé says...

Well okay, so I couldn’t keep away… *Sticks out tongue*

Quote:
She shivered at the freezing dew stinging her face and unconsciously pulled a cloth that didn’t smell familiar around her.

The last part, after ‘and’ - ‘a cloth that didn’t smell familiar to her’. Maybe it’s just me, but that phrase sounds a bit odd.

Quote:
A male voice startled her, and Creiha twisted toward the voice, sitting up abruptly.

Firstly, I would split this sentence into two, but I may be going to far here, lol - your story, after all. And that I can’t explain it, lol. Next, you use ‘voice’ two times in one sentence.

Quote:
A bolt of fear coursed through her when she saw the prisoner sitting on a rock across from her. “What are you doing here?” Creiha cried in alarm, inching backwards fearfully.

Okay, since you are a really, really good writer I’ll allow myself to be more picky, lol. That sentence was a bit melodramatic, no offence meant.

Quote:
The man stared at her calmly, a ghost of a smirk playing upon his face. He might have appeared mysterious if not for his laidback manner.

Love this part, hehe.

Quote:
Creiha glared at him, “Excuse me?” she whispered incredulously.

Period instead of a comma. Talk about being picky.

Quote:
His eyes were whirlpools,

You use ‘eyes’ again. How about ‘they’ or something equally vague?

Quote:
“So, you would ‘deem it wise’ to let the guard decapitate me at another time?”

Love you for that one.

Quote:
“Because you’re bleeding” The man frowned.

Period.

Quote:
“Now you made me look!” she complained and wrinkled her nose, “Everyone knows it hurts more when you look!”

Nice.

Okay, so I read everything in this thread. One heck of a good job here. Really. I loved it. Great dialogues. One thing though, I think that you should expand the parts with Strick a bit. Though I suppose we’ll get to know him better in the next chapters. Great work once again.

Elein

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:12 pm
stupidiot92 says...

Very good though i caught a few things

Quote:
until movement on the edges of the clearing [u]interrupted surprised[u] her

change one of those verbs to either interrupted or surprised but not both

Creiha awoke from her musings quickly and smiled embarrassedly, following him with a driving curiosity. “Yes, I am coming

this is a little confusing i would chamge it and you need ending punctuation
It doesn't think, doesn't feel.
It doesn't laugh or cry.
All it does from dusk 'till dawn
is make the soldiers die

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:51 pm
Shriek says...

The prologue, though beautifully written, seemed to drag for me. It may have something to do with my impatience (like, get the story ON with already!), but the writing there doesn't catch my attention, and it does not seem to serve a purpose (that is to say, I could skip it and still be up to speed with the story).

As for the story on the whole, again, beautifully written. Your dialogue shines -- it is simply delightful to read. Your descriptions, however, were sometimes weighted down by adjectives, and could be overbearing. Remember, less is more.

Much of your writing, despite your overkill on the adjectives in some instances, hits me close to home.

For instance

The third Svarë stood with contrived confidence, staring at the stake where he was to burn. He looked so calm … and yet so frightened, so accepting and yet so shaken, as if every moment was a hard-won fight to keep the terror from his gaze.

How many times have I seen that look in pictures? On the faces of the prisoners in nazi Germany, on the front page of the paper in wartorn courntries like Iraq -- I'm sure the very face of Christ must have registered the expression you described.

On another note, I can kind of guess where the story is going already. Strick and Creiha are going to hit it off and start a romance. It's the whole Mr. Darcy/Lizzie interaction from the beginning, and I saw it coming a mile away. Predictability tires me, but what can I say? Most of the fantasy fiction stories I've read have worked themselves out this way. ... I'm sorry, that was not meant to be a bash on you at all. I just get frustrated with the genre.

On the whole, there is a lot of good here. Minimalizing your longwinded sentences would really strengthen it up.

Lyndsey
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

563 Reviews

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:22 am
Writersdomain says...

Thanks for the comment, Shriek! I'll work on those adjectives - still recovering from my adjective binge. :wink:

Ah, predictability. Fear not. Strick and Creiha do not hit off a romance - well, maybe Creiha is a little dreamy over him, but Strick all but ignores her. No romance there.
~ WD

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am
Royboy says...

After everyone else's comments, mine seem a bit bare. First off, I just want to say that this is awesome from what I've just read.

I think you're over reacting about not having enough description. The way you've written this is definitely descriptive enough, yet not too over the top. It's almost addicting. =]

"... she was sure death had already claimed her when a violet wind engulfed her."
I think you mean violent.

"They’ll be ashamed. Creiha thought grimly."
Either I'm being annoying, or this should be one sentence.

When I read the prologue, I wasn't exactly sure where it fit in with the rest of the story. Bits of it came into place once the rest of the chapter had been read, but I still can't place some of it. I think this is partially due to me being a bit slow today... *no i'm serious about that* :?: :?: :?:

Strick's character is written well with a little mystery and wonder about him. Obviously there will be more explained about his past, right? I also want to know if I should already have figured out what a Svare is because I fear reading a book and missing something crucial in the beginning :oops:. Okay, well I shall be off to read more of your posts on this story.
[url="www.royacrystaldoesnanowrimo.tumblr.com"]Follow my 2011 NaNoWriMo progress on tumblr[/url] or [url="http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/734471"]friend me on the official NaNoWriMo forums[/url]!

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:15 am
Maybe says...

Amazing. Simply amazing. I wish i could write like you.

All in all, it was a great way to start off a book. I especially liked your prolouge, and i definatly think you are overreacting about giving too much away. Like i said, great way to start off a book.

I agree with the others about all the things they suggested. I don't really have anything to add.

Some ashes are destined to be found
.... love that
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

The wince that you wince when you see your quote in the quote generator is quite a wince, I tell ya. To know that the whole YWS community has read and judged your quote is quite an awkward feeling like oh noes. *manly blush*
— Arcticus