User avatar

smaur

  • Novel / Chapter » Science Fiction, General Re: Venolf War - Chapters 1 - 6

    Welcome to YWS! Like Mars said, there's a 2:1 review ratio here. Spread the love! Review other people's works and put yourself out there. The other thing is, and this ...

    Apr 21, 2009
  • Short Story » Romantic, General Re: Saved

    So here goes: Know your commas! You use commas sometimes where they shouldn't be and omit them when they are needed. So, quick review: commas are pretty much the syntax-equivalent ...

    Apr 21, 2009
  • Short Story » Romantic, General Re: sensitive lovers

    Okay. So a couple of things. First up, there's a 2:1 review ratio at YWS and it's generally recommended that before you start posting your stuff, you go around some ...

    Apr 21, 2009
  • Novel / Chapter » Science Fiction, General Re: And Then.

    Hey! So I like this. You're not quite doing anything new with the post-apocalyptic science fiction cliche but I am assuming that this is the first chapter and that you'll ...

    Apr 21, 2009
  • Short Story » Science Fiction, General Re: Immortal

    Hey! So I like your writing and I am especially a fan of your first and last lines but there's a lot of pretty basic clean-up that you might want ...

    Apr 20, 2009
  • Short Story » General, General Re: Untitled as of yet

    Just a few things: - Mentioning that you wrote this "out of boredom" is pretty much the easiest way to push people away as reviewers because it kind of implies ...

    Apr 20, 2009
  • Short Story » General, General Re: First page of Sensing Wild

    Apologies for the epic delay in critiquing. I'm here now! A couple of things: - Just out of curiosity, why did you post only the first page? I'm asking because ...

    Apr 20, 2009
  • Short Story » Romantic, General Re: Last Date.

    Okay, I'm here. A gazillion years late. I actually enjoyed the sparseness (er, minimalism) of the piece; I thought it worked well for the story you were telling. In a ...

    Apr 20, 2009
  • Article / Essay » Review, General Re: Do these even exist?

    Okay, wracking my ever-failing memory for YA novels that I enjoyed as a teen: Scott Westerfeld's "Uglies" series is easy to breeze through — it's fun awesome sci-fi that is ...

    Apr 20, 2009
  • Novel / Chapter » Science Fiction, General Re: The Unstoppable Metal Dream Machina- Chapter 1

    The idea of doing a mecha-themed story is awesome, but you get bogged down a lot. You mentioned that the length might be a deterrent, and it kind of is; ...

    Mar 26, 2009
  • Novel / Chapter » General, General Re: Gamma Ray (1)

    I was kind of hesitant to write a review for this (that is, before you posted on my critique list) because, well, I tend to get pretty in-depth with critiquing. ...

    Mar 26, 2009
  • Short Story » General, General Re: Top Secret (Edited)

    Apologies for the belated review; I've had a lot of crap on my plate lately. (Er. Only not literally.) Your other reviewers seem to have covered a lot of ground; ...

    Mar 25, 2009
  • Article / Essay » Review, General Re: Worst Book You've Ever Read

    Dahlia >> I don't think people are sad/concerned that others dislike classics. If anything, that's kind of inevitable with any group of people. I think it's problematic though that people ...

    Mar 11, 2009
  • Short Story » General, General Re: Dinner At Six

    Hey! I'm here, finally. So I like this. Or at least, I like what you're trying to do with this piece. I haven't read anything by you in a bit, ...

    Jan 28, 2009
  • Novel / Chapter » Fantasy, General Re: The 1st Chapter of Paradox Parade - Heirlooms

    Hey! I'm here, critiquing as requested. You asked me to point out any questions that I might have throughout the story, but honestly, I don't think I have any yet. ...

    Jan 26, 2009


We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind