z

Young Writers Society

A Day In The Life Of A Rubber Duck

Reviews: 2
Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:02 pm
Kenzie says...

Spoiler! :
Notice this isn't finished yet, but I'll add the rest to this when i've edited it.
This was a project from my teacher, and I hope you like it! : )

There I sat, on the white woden shelf of the bathroom. I was waiting to embark on a squeeky clean journey in the tub. My heart almost jumped out of my plastic body when the little girl, Primrose, plucked me from the shelf and into the deep tub.
I heard the splash behind me as Primrose dropped Sailing Sally Sailboat into the tub also and steered her around, her sky blue sails were splashed with sploches of water.
I floated about and skimmed the water. Primrose was giggling wildly and making sound effects as she played around with Sally and I.
Primrose's mum stepped into the room, her hands dripping most likely from the kitchen sink. I watched intently as her mum wiped her hands dry on a hand towel and pursed her lips.
" Prim deary, aren't you getting tired of those old toys?" she asked. Primrose turned her head sharply and shook her head, going back to play with Sally and I.
" How about I put the duck in my garage sale today and we go shopping for a brand new toy?" I listened to her mom's frustrated voice. I looked at Primrose, her bright green eyes far away as if she was in a different world. I could tell she was considering it, if I had fingers I would have been crossing them tight that Primrose wouldn't sell us.
"Any new toy?" Primrose ventured loudly, my heart sank only leaving a little hope inside my bright yellow plastic.
Her mom sighed, " Yes Prim, any toy." My heart sank and I felt as if she had stabbed me in the back. Primrose pulled me out and set me right side up in her mom's hands.
" Take good care of him," Primrose warned her mother. Her mom walked silently outside and she set me on a big white table. She slapped a "10 cents" price tag on my back and put other old stuff out, too.
Last edited by Kenzie on Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:01 am
megsug says...

I thought this was great! It was cute and I want to find out what happens to the Rubber Duck. Most of this is just a few nitpicks.

Kenzie wrote: There I sat, on the white woden shelf of the bathroom. I was waiting to embark on a squeeky clean journey in the tub. My heart almost jumped out of my plastic body when the little girl, Primrose, plucked me from the shelf and into the deep tub.

The joy a toy takes in making a child happy. I loved it.

I heard the splash behind me as Primrose dropped Sailing Sally Sailboat into the tub also and steered her around. her sky blue sails were splashed with sploches of water.

I saw this mistake a lot. Make sure you only have one object and one subject or you'll have a run-on sentence.

I floated about and skimmed the water. Primrose was giggling wildly and making sound effects as she played around with Sally and I.
Primrose's mum stepped into the room, her hands dripping most likely from the kitchen sink. I watched intently as her mum wiped her hands dry on a hand towel and pursed her lips.
" Prim deary, aren't you getting tired of those old toys?" she asked. Primrose turned her head sharply and shook her head, going back to play with Sally and I.

What a horrible mom! Who takes toys away from their child?

" How about I put the boat and the duck in my garage sale today and we go shopping for brand new toys?" I listened to her mom's frustrated voice. I looked at Primrose. her bright green eyes far away as if she was in a different world. I could tell she was considering it. if I had fingers I would have been crossing them tight that Primrose wouldn't sell us.

The words in red don't make sense. I know what you were trying to say but the wording is wrong.

"Any toy?" Primrose ventured loudly, my heart sank only leaving a little hope inside my bright yellow plastic.
Her mom sighed, " Yes Prim, any toy." My heart sank and I felt as if she had stabbed me in the back. Her mom came and picked us up from the tub and carried us out of the room.

Keep writing. It was great.
Megsug

P.S. I love Paramore. :smt003
Test

Reviews: 3
Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:24 am
View Likes
Twitchy says...

Why, hello there. I'm going to be reviewing your story today tonight. Well, this is my first review so please bear with me.

There I sat, on the white wooden shelf of the bathroom. I was waiting to embark on a squeeky clean journey in the tub. My heart almost jumped out of my plastic body when the little girl, Primrose, plucked me from the shelf and into the deep tub.
The use of the word 'tub' becomes repetitive. Wooden is also misspelled, the same goes for "squeeky" it should be spelled sqweaky

Primrose was giggling wildly and making sound effects as she played around with Sally and I.
It should be 'Sally and me' not 'Sally and I'. Here's a trick I always use: Take out the Sally and see if your sentence reads well. Does "Primrose was giggling wildly and making sound effects as she played around with I" sound right? No, no it does not. You see, pretty simple, eh?

Primrose turned her head sharply and shook her head, going back to play with Sally and I.
Same mistake here as the one above but I'm not going to go into detail all over again. That would be a waste of time.

I could tell she was considering it, if I had fingers I would have been crossing them tight, hoping that Primrose wouldn't sell us.
Or some other verb in place of the one I gave in that sentence as an example.

" Close this space. Yes, Prim, any toy."
You need to close the space between the quotation and the dialogue. I saw this two times before but I suppose I don't need to point them out for you. They are quite obvious.

Well, that was simple but fun to read. Something like a children's book. There was not much description but this is tolerable if you are going for the children's type of book. There were not that many mistakes and the sentences flowed pretty well. Good job and I hope you make a good grade on your project.

Twitchy
Life's to short to waste time thinking about tomorrow. Live for today and deal when the consequences when they get here!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:06 pm
Nate says...

I like this! Very much like Toy Story.

I think all you need to work on is just proofreading, and for that, I really suggest you ask your mom or dad to read it over with you. That way, you'll catch all the corrections. But what you have already is quite good.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:16 pm
wonderland says...

Loved it!
It was an interesting perspective choice, from a rubber ducks point of view.
Wow, very original.
YOu really played with it to. The reader can feel the strong emotions with your beautiful descriptions
Seriously, there was nothing wrong with this piece
~WickedWonder

(CLicks the like button)
'We will never believe again, kick drum beating in my chest again, oh, we will never believe in anything again, preach electric to a microphone stand.'

*Formerly wickedwonder*

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:26 pm
JabberHut says...

Hahaha, that was adorable. Poor ducky. *snugs it* You'll have to let me know when the rest is up.

The main thing that stood out to me is why Mom is so concerned about Prim's toys. xD Financially speaking, she'll probably lose money if she sells the old toys and buys Prim *any* toy she wants. I figure if the kid likes the toys, no use in investing on new ones. xD *jabbers*

Also, I don't think that tiny conversation will cover a whole bathtime. We can either start it in the middle of bathtime, when Mom leaves to do dishes and lets Prim soak a minute, or we can start it at the beginning and include a description of some "game" Prim plays with the boat and duck. There's a looot of potential though, and I think you'll figure something out. :D

Someone before me mentioned this as a possible children's book. Now that would be adorable. Also, I've been singing Ernie's Rubber Ducky song this entire time. Yup. Great job! Good luck in class. :D

Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:27 pm
LadyPurple says...

Hey Kenzie Ok first off. The name is awesome.
Nate wrote:I like this! Very much like Toy Story.

I agree with this. I think it's really cute.
Kenzie wrote: Notice this isn't finished yet, but I'll add the rest to this when i've edited it.
This was a project from my teacher, and I hope you like it!

I hope you do finish it!
~Ladypurple.
You're new? Great seas! Why haven't you gone to the Buddy System yet?

You're dealing with writers. The words "normal" and "usual occurrence" do not compute.
~Rosey Unicorn

Reviews: 2
Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:06 am
Kenzie says...

Thanks a ton, I didn't even noticed anyone reviewed this until today! : D I'll definatly work on editing it soon. Thanks so much for the reviews!

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:30 am
emoinpink says...

Nawwww!

Maybe I shouldn't be up this late. Maybe I shouldn't have drunk all those home-made mochachinos (emphasis on the chocolate.) Because all I want to do is search the world for that yard sale, buy that yellow duckie, even if I have to use my last ten cents, and make him my best friend, and he shall live onn the side of my tub forever and ever and...

Ahem. Anyway. Maybe this was a bad time to write a review? I need a shower.
We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.-Japanese Proverb

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:00 pm
jDawn says...

This is so sweet, Kenzie! I think everybody else before me has covered everything, so all I have to say is I can't wait untill you post the rest!
"They can put me in prison but they can't stop my face from breakin' out."

" A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."

-Adam Young, My Hero <3

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:51 pm
captain.classy says...

Wasn't this a breath of fresh air? I like sweet stories like this. It reminded me of a cross between "Toy Story" and "The Doll People".

There is one occuring incident that I would like to point out:

Primrose was giggling wildly and making sound effects as she played around with Sally and I.

You do this two or three times, so be sure to go back and edit them.

I know how hard it might be to get the underlined part right. My mom always used to correct me saying "No, it's 'my friends and I' are going to the movies." And although it might seem that that's how you word it here, it isn't. Let me show you the test that my mom told me about:

Separate the two nouns in the sentence.

"She played around with Sally."

That one's alright, but...

"She played around with I."

That's not right...

So that's the test. Make sure that if your 'I' stands alone alright. Ex:

"My friends and I are going to the movies."

Would be

"I am going to the movies."

Alright, so as a whole, your story, as I said before, is sweet and subtle. I think that the ending could be a bit more spectacular. You are telling us through your character that being thrown away as a toy is some horrible thing. But we don't understand because we can't get thrown away or sold. So explain to us the emotions. There are several ways you could do this. One being you could just straight out tell us that your character is sad about this (not literally of course). The other is that you could have your character tell a story about how they used to know a toy that was sold and then bought again. It was the worst moment of the toy's life, blah blah blah. Or, even better, tell us about how the child acquired this rubber duck. Was the duck passed down to the child? Did the duck used to be played with by her grandmother or something? I want more emotion so I can actually feel sad for this toy. You can't rely on Toy Story to tell the emotions of a toy for you.

Also, why does the mom even want to throw the toy away? When you explain this, you could tackle the toy's insecurities. Have the toy describe itself. Is the reason that the mom wants to throw it away because it's moldy and it's eyes are peeling off? I mean, I don't see any reason why she would want to take away her child's toy from her.

But, what you did do a really good job with was how the child acts. A kid, no matter what toy (except their favorite or their blanket or something) always wants something new; its how they are. So you handled that perfectly.

Keep writing,

Classy

Goos are anarchists.
— WeepingWisteria