z

Young Writers Society



The Journeys End - a prolog

by ~greenangel~


He was a tall man, but broad. He was around fifty, so in all natural light, his once gleaming chestnut hair (which was now pulled back into a silk ribbon) has begun to fade, leaving patches in his beard. On his shoulders, he wore a cape which drifted to his lower back, a navy blue to represent his army. His large, pale hands were folded in a triangular position, just touching his chin. His eyes were folded toward the subject across from him. She was watching him, unblinkingly, her gray green eyes cutting into his conscience like a knife into stale bread.

"Beatrice," he said finally, his voice rough and graveled from lack of sleep, "I do not have all day. I am a busy man, if nothing else. Please, commence."

A minute or so passed, the same silence evoked by his lack of energy and her careful choice of words.

"Have you considered revoking what you said earlier? Letting me go to school anyway, get an education?" He was silent for a moment, careful to avoid the landmines which seemed to be his daughters conscience.

"I've said it before and I'll say it again. The profession of law is a mans job. The court room is no place for a woman. If you mustn't accept Benjamin's offer, than you should find yourself a suitable Career benefiting your experiences and gender."

The young girl opened her mouth to reply to this ever tedious response, but her father spoke first. "Benjamin is a busy man. He has much to do and many woman would long to be his wife. If you are so conceded to refuse his offer, than off with you. You shall become a nurse maid or hired help."

Beatrice stopped for a moment and took a short look around her fathers office. Tall, chestnut shelves lined the rough brick walls. Light shone through the grates in the fire, sending black shadows through the first pink rays of dawn which trickled through the half open window. Snow fell non stop outside, lining the once green country side with white. Through the weather, Beatrice could see several blue coated men patrolling the area, their faces hidden under matching coloured broad hats, nudging their thick blooded stallions in the side with sharp cutting spurs.

"Very well than father. If you so wish, I shall leave."

Her father nodded. "That would be best."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
659 Reviews


Points: 82352
Reviews: 659

Donate
Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:50 pm
RandomTalks wrote a review...



Hello!

RandomTalks here with a short review!

This was a very interesting start to the story. You have specified this as a prolog and I have to say, this is something that I would definitely want to read. Your writing style is simple, yet descriptive and you paint really vivid picture with just your words. I liked how you have not limited yourself to the conventional use of a simple adjective to describe your setting, but you have really delved deep into it, trying to make the picture as clear to as possible.

He was a tall man, but broad.

I generally do not start right away with the description of a character. It reads too much like the children's books that want to get straight down to the point. However, since you have really established your setting here in the next paragraph, starting with a description does not give the story the same hurried pace. However, I do think that maybe you could have introduced us with the character before telling us what he looks like.

If you mustn't accept Benjamin's offer, than you should find yourself a suitable Career benefiting your experiences and gender.

It is very obvious from this very first and only interaction that there is a lot of differences between the father and daughter. They do not see eye-to-eye on all subjects and it is quite evident that her father is rather rigid minded in terms of what role a woman should play in society. He is quite backward in his beliefs, and I cannot find any other reason why he would object to his daughter pursuing a career in law.

Also, through this simple interaction, you have established the period of the story. You have not exactly provided us with a timeline, but his opinions and views reflect that he does not belong to the modern times where society is a lot more liberating and men and women are viewed as equals. And from the fact that they were also discussing marriage proposals, I think I have some idea of the era they inhabit in the story.

Through the weather, Beatrice could see several blue coated men patrolling the area, their faces hidden under matching coloured broad hats, nudging their thick blooded stallions in the side with sharp cutting spurs.

People cannot really look through 'weather', so your use of the expression is not very accurate here. Try replacing it with some other words. For example, you can write it as: "Through the heavy curtain of snow, Beatrice could see several blue coated men patrolling the area, their faces hidden under matching coloured broad hats, nudging their thick blooded stallions in the side with sharp cutting spurs."
That way, you have a nice description and it sounds better as well. At the end of the day, its your choice, of course.

Overall, this was a really great start. Already, we have two opposing and complex characters, a difficult father-daughter relationship, conflict and purpose. These are all elements of a good novel and I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Keep writing and have a great day!




User avatar
127 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 127

Donate
Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:08 am
Rincewind wrote a review...



I have a couple suggestions.

"He was a tall man, but broad." - being broad isn't conflicting to being tall. I am not sure if "but" is the proper word there.

"He was around fifty, so in all natural light, his once gleaming chestnut hair (which was now pulled back into a silk ribbon) has begun to fade..." - there is a tense shift there. "has" should be "had" . Unless you carry on with the brackets.

"On his shoulders, he wore a cape which drifted to his lower back, a navy blue to represent his army." - this needs to be fixed because there are two sentences there. ie. On his shoulders he wore a cap which drifted to his lower back. It was a navy blue to represent the army he was loyal to.

"Tall, chestnut shelves lined the rough brick walls." - unnecessary comma use.

Now that I got those out of the way.....Everything else was freakin amazing!!! That was absolutely wonderful dialogue, and both characters were developed nicely through the use of the metaphors. You are very very good, I am watching you, I want more of this, and fast.
Surprisingly stunning imagery as well.
Good show, cheers.




User avatar
657 Reviews


Points: 6523
Reviews: 657

Donate
Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:09 pm
Jennafina says...



Your story is really discriptive and interesting. I cant wait for the next part! One thing though, how can eyes fold?




User avatar
196 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 196

Donate
Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:24 am
Shriek wrote a review...



I liked that. It was well written, and aside from a few spelling errors and missing apostrophes, gramatically correct. You have just enough description and dialogue, neither overpowering the other. And you left out just enough detail to have me wanting more. Keep up the excellent work! I look forward to reading more of this.





Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
— Captain James T. Kirk