gun powder

by zpur

One cold winter morning I woke up and looked out the silk covered window that was in my room on the top floor of my house. I remembered that today the silk road caravan would be coming into day with all new things. My father was hoping to buy some gunpowder for our store, one of our customers just bought a cannon and was hoping to get a keg of gunpowder to fire it. I ran down the stairs to the kitchen where the cook was making breakfast of jook. I asked my mom where my father was and she said that he had already left for the caravan. I then left to go and see if i could find him. It took me almost half the day to find the gunpowder part of the caravan because It was so long. Before I got out the door he came in and said that he was able to buy 4 kegs of gunpowder for 1500$. He would then go on to sell them each for 400 each. That would mean that we would be making a profit of 25 each keg. My father is a smart man and he is always making problems in his head that will help the store make more money so we will be able to buy the food and other things we need. The next day I went to the store with my dad and I watched as the customer come in and went and talked to my dad.He was covered in animal skin and cloth, The next thing that I know he is walking out of the store and my father walking in and saying to me he wanted them all so i told him that it would be 3,000$ and he went home to get the money. Later that day he came back and gave my father the money. We all were excited and i couldn’t sleep. I heard a noise downstairs and went down. I peaked around the corner and saw 4 people rummaging through the house. I crept back upstairs and got my dad He went to the closet and got a sword and started down the stairs. The next thing I know he is calling us all down. We all go down and see my dad he was on his knees and had been hit hard. The next day I find out that the customer was trying to steal his money back. We were all invited to the emperor's pallas and my father was given a spot on the emperors council. They told him that the man had been doing this to many different places around china, and his name is shan yu The leader of the huns. We all moved near the empires pallas and felt as safe as we could feel.

10 Years later.

This morning we got a message that the huns have invaded china and by order of the emperor one man from every family must serve in the imperial army. I took my fathers place and that night I left for camp. The next day we started training. We trained for 2 weeks and then we set out on the road to the front of the war.(the great wall) Are task is to take back the wall and hold it until more troops come. The day comes and we position archers on the hills next to it. And when night came we struck the archers took out the guards and we dropped down and took control. When daybreak came The wall was ours and we got more troops to back us up. We continued to force our way along the wall and take more and more of it back. We all fought bravely but many of us have fallen. And my turn came we were near the end and the enemy was in sight. Shan u(the leader of the huns) was the last thing in our way. I went in and got one good hit on him and then boom a slash across the chest and black. I woke up 2 days later and a searing pain in my bodie. I was home a week later and all healed in 4 weeks. I was presented the soard of shan u and was a hero and most of all I pleased my father which was the best of all.

10 years later

The store was all mine and Was doing great and i was happy. My life was perfect except... 

Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:25 am
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hello there. Another welcome to the YWS World!

Alright, so the reviewer below me mentioned a ton of really great points and you should take her advice into a ton of considerations (because I would have said all te exact same points as well.)

I'm really left wondering throughout this entire thing, especially in the beginning, why do we care? What's so special about this? Why should we be engaged and really read through this? What usually pulls and keeps a reader into the story are elements like action, suspense, character interaction and really cool scenes that grip us and hold us on the edge of our seat. Here, this was just a big summary of a person's world. And the beginning half is completely different than the second. I don't even see why it's there.

Speaking of beginnings, they are usually meant to get the reader's attention and throw us into the story. Starting a story with a character waking up to the morning is probably one of the most used beginnings ever and it feels dull. Plus, there's not much of a reason to start him waking up. Why not just start a little later in the morning with them meeting their father? It would make a little more sense, but the exposition in the beginning really only seems to introduce the Hun leader (strangely enough).

Before I move on with the plot, I will say, since this is highly summarized, it is super important for you to drag out some things, like a conversation per say. There was a point when the main character was having a concersation with their father, but it was all in the narration. Why not just put it into some dialogue and do some character development along the way?

With character, it doesn't seem like your characters have any depth to them at all. They do everything that they do because the plot tells them they have to, rather than controlling the plot themselves. All their actions are either really pure all the time (the main character, who somehow doesn't get killed by Shan Yu...) or really evil (in the case of Shan Yu.) Add in some variety and give them a real personality that dominates their actions and thoughts.

The narration here seemed really void of emotion and you never really get into the character's head. That's what you want, to have the reader identify with a character. So you want all the narration to reflect what they are thinking, feeling, because let's face it, if you're really sad and depressed, then I doubt the world would look happy and bubbly to you. You'd see the world as out to get you or something, all based on how you're feeling. Show that in your narration. You did pick first person after all.

This is a good start, and a nice outline, but really pull it out and make the story. This is so broad, perhaps try to narrow down on a particular scene and practice this advice and then add another on top of that until your story is completed. Hope I helped!

Keep on Writing,
~Wolfare~

Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:50 pm
AdmiralKat wrote a review...

Hello, zpur! Welcome to YWS! I hope that you are enjoying your stay here and that you continue to stay here! KatyaElefant here for a review! Let's see what we have right here.

Right off the bat, I can see that you need to organize this into paragraphs because it's not easy reading these big blocks of words. You can do this by chopping the blocks up with ides that are similar. It is just more appealing to the eye and more reviewers will then be willing to review your story! If you need advice about chopping the paragraphs up, then reply to this review!

I feel like you might be able to make a great story off all this but it all just happens so fast! You're just listing off all that happens and it really takes away the interest and experience from the story. Try to slow down a little bit and maybe even split this short story into parts or even make it into a novel. Like going into camp and training to be the army takes a very long time and you could elaborate on the experiences that they have right there.

I suggest that you put this work in a spell checker like Office Word or something like that so you can check for run on sentences, capitalization errors and punctuation errors. This can also make your short story much more enjoyable to read and more appealing to the eye.

I don't know much about Imperial China and how all that was back then but I hope that you did your research. DONT MAKE THE RESEARCH BASED OF MULAN(The disney movie). That movie maybe inaccurate like most Disney movies. I can see a similarity between them because Shan yu was a character in Mulan so I just wanted to make sure that you weren't using that as a resource. Look up online a little bit on China and you will be good. Some inaccuracies are like how you said they had dollars(the Chinese clearly didn't have dollars) or some of the patterns of the huns that you depicted.

You need a little bit more imagery. Like I want you not to tell me what happens but show me what happens. Use metaphors to compare what is happening to something that the reader can relate to. Use adjectives and describe the surroundings. You can make this short story so much better if you add just a little bit more detail.

Keep calm and keep writing
KatyaElefant

Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:44 pm
mtho says...

Hello! I dont think they would have American dollars in ancient china.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:35 pm
acli says...

The story is overall great, but I think that you could have spent a little more time watching for proper punctuation and capitalization. I like the ending (FYI MUST HAVE SQUEAL!) I also think that you should look for repetitive bits in it cause I saw like ten.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:28 pm
clon says...

It was a really good story and I would really suggest reading it. I also think that he should make a sequel to this book the end is a complete cliff hanger. But I really think that he could really work on capitulating and describing time more.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:18 pm
dcar says...

I like how well you integrated history. I wonder if you could not use modern currency. I wonder if you could end it less abruptly. I liked the way you described everything in detail. I also like how you added math

Patience is the strength of the weak, impatience is the weakness of the strong.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher