z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The War

by zgar


Hello my name is Chao Ban, I am a Captain or Duizhu in the Shang military fighting the Zhou. At the moment I'm currently bleeding out on the battlefield of Muye. If any one gets this message, please tell my story. My actions should be forever remembered.

It was a the perfect day, it was sunny with a slight breeze and only a few clouds in the sky. I thought to myself, nothing could make this day go wrong. I spoke too soon. A messenger came to me mid afternoon he was thin with a slight wheeze in his speech as if he had been running, and told me,

“War has broken out, the battle for China has begun and the Emperor needs his Duizhu”. All I thought about from that moment on was my family, and having to break the news about going to war. I just can’t imagine how hurt my child and wife would be if went to war and never returned. I thought about my decision to tell or not to tell my family and decided not to.

I grabbed my gear and fled for the Emperor's temple. I’d be gone by morning and at least I wouldn’t have to watch them worry about me dying in war. As I arrived at the temple I was welcomed by the army unit commander and Emperor’s servant. The servant led me to the army barracks, it reeked of sweat and old clothing. I was glad I didn’t have to stay here for long, I was to be deported to the battlefield in the morning. At last the morning had come and I was ready to depart, I was nervous and and a little queasy, I had never been to war before.

Although I have heard stories of men being tortured in all sorts of gruesome ways, my only wish was that I do not have to suffer through the agonizing processes. I got on my horse and started my journey for I had requested to travel alone, I wanted to clear my head before the war. I knew I wouldn’t be home for a few years, but I was ready to serve my emperor and assist my allies in war.

I arrived at the battlefield mid morning the next day. My journey had gone well, nothing went unplanned and I was able to make it without any assistance. The battlefield was massive and there was fires burning everywhere. We were camped out on a hill on the eastern side of the battlefield. My first order of business was setting up my tent. Afterward I was to go to the armory and pick up my armor and weapons. I finally got my tent set up after a few mishaps and then headed over to the blacksmith’s.

The armory was smoky and dim lighted. There was a foul stench in the air, though I could not make out what it was. I was approached by a bigger man, probably in his mid forties, that had many old war wounds. He asked me for my family name and the type of armor I would like. I replied, “My name is Ban and I would like armor made out of the sturdiest material you have.” He then replied,

“Steel is the sturdiest material we have it is as strong as iron but lighter.” He fitted me to the armor and asked for my weapon of choice.

”A crossbow will do,” I responded, “I prefer to win the war without getting my hands dirty. Besides, with our improved bronze trigger I can shoot faster and more deadly than the Zhou's.” He handed me the crossbow and told me to pick up my armor the next morning before I headed off to the battlefield.

That night I got nearly no sleep for I could not stop thinking about my worried family back home. I was beginning to wish I had told them. Finally morning had come and I was ready to face my opponent, the Zhou army. I headed down to the armory and was equipped with my armor. I felt nervous about how well the armor would protect me. The bronze helmet was heavy and the mask limited my vision. I then ran out to the battlefield and found my troops. They had set up a barricade against the Zhou. I joined them and ordered them set their spears, but I was too late.

King Wu of the Zhou came crashing through the barricade on his chariot and sent me toppling back. I yelled for my men to retreat, but they were all being slaughtered where they stood. I grabbed my crossbow and fired off one arrow at King Wu. An arrow was returned and struck me in the lower abdomen and now I lay on the battlefield bleeding out. Everything is getting colder and colder by the minute. With my last bit of energy I use an arrowhead to write a short message on my leather chest plate that will hopefully eventually get back to my family. But for now I will reunite with my ancestors in the afterlife.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 1385
Reviews: 30

Donate
Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:34 pm
Teacake013 wrote a review...



Hi zgar
it's me teacake013 here to review yiur story called the War.
I thoroughly and truthfully enjoy your work it was unique!:)

I'm not here to judge your work, so I'll tell you
I know it takes a lot to publish you're works so I respect that completely.

In you're work pacifically I enjoyed how you chose a topic that you seem
To enjoy it completely.
It was a topic that I truthfully thighs you enjoyed wrighting !:):D
It was to say the least imaginary:)
And I loved the names like Zhou!
Descripition is very good and last but not least it seem accurate.


Hope you keep on improving and writing you're heart out!.!

Love, Teacake013




User avatar
107 Reviews


Points: 333
Reviews: 107

Donate
Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:40 pm
ChiravianSkies wrote a review...



Good morning, you have accidentally stumbled on a MaddieMouse review. XD
I like this story. Initially I was a bit confused because of the Media Res thing, but I got the gist of it. The use of the word bleeding out was very dramatic and immediately caught my attention. So I continued reading. This seems a bit of a narrative summary instead of scenes, but when a guy's dying you can't expect him to write a novel, right? I like the fact that you used well, facts, but I was kind of confused by the crossbow thing. I had no idea the Chinese used crossbows.
And is it just me or are there a lot of stories about ancient China recently?
I'm not finding any nitpicks in here, just a bit of exposition through dialogue in the crossbow part. Your description makes me imagine every little thing that's happening at the time too, so good on you for that.
Maddie out!




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 366
Reviews: 6

Donate
Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:42 pm
amac says...



Your descriptions are very nice. I can picture everything you write about. I enjoyed the plot twist at the end, I did not expect it. All your facts were correct which was very refreshing. I wonder if you could have made your exposition more flowing into the story. Also, the beginning was a little confusing, because it was media res, then was it flashback I couldn't really tell.Overall very nice job





cron
The first thing I do when I have a good quote is always to put a goat in it. uwu
— Liminality