Other Side of the Looking Glass (Chapter 1)

by zeppy♥yozora

The Black Mansion

“Hurry up!” Karro could hear her Grandfather call from ahead of her. She kept walking at the same lackadaisical pace she had been for the past five minutes. Noticing that, her Grandfather stopped and waited for her to catch up to him. “What’s wrong Karro? Aren’t you excited to meet your father?” he asked Karro cheerfully (though she could see the uneasiness in his eyes). She sighed and murmured, “I’ll be excited when you are.” The last time Karro had seen her Father was when she was four, and she didn’t remember anything from that long ago.

Everyone always condescended to her about what a “great leader” her father was and how she should “consider herself lucky” that he was her father. Truthfully, she didn’t buy any of that stuff, if Satsujiin was so great why did her mother leave without telling anyone where she was going? And an even better question was that if he was such a nice man, why did he change his name to Satsujiin in the first place?

. . .

The two walked in silence for a few minutes until Karro suddenly blurted out, “Any way, why do I have to go live with him? Don’t you think that if he really cared about me, he’d let me stay with you, where I’m happy?” Réno smiled at his grand daughter. Truthfully, he didn’t have any say in whether or not Karro went to live with her father.

Flashback…

Réno Morona stood at the gates of the huge, foreboding, Black Mansion wondering the reason Satsujiin had wanted to speak with him, and fearing that he may already know the answer to that question. The Mansion was really a frightening sight; large, pointed, sharp roofs on top of each of the towers made it look just as evil and dangerous as the man who resided within. The guards arrived and hustled Réno up the long gravel path. One of the men, now escorting him though the halls of the Mansion, seemed to be the “perfect” example of an imperial 1Nu’rlem. He was older, showed no emotion on his face at all, and seemed to be almost a statue that had been animated for two reasons, killing and guarding. Contrary to his partner (most likely superior), the other Lem was very young, probably only about twenty-four or twenty-five. Réno guessed he was a new recruit, because he seemed uneasy, and kept glancing guiltily behind himself at Mr. Morona. They stopped in front of a big elaborate door. “He’s in there! Now hurry up, His Majesty does not like to wait” The older Nu’rlem said harshly and started down the hall. He stopped abruptly, turned and added “Koriin move! Now!” The other guard,

1Nu’rlem (Nuhr-leh-mm)- Commonly called “Lem” for short. Name for the men that serve Satsujiin. Literally means Stone (Nu’r) Warrior (Lem * root from Lemmitecha meaning Great Warrior*)

Koriin, paused a moment before running to catch with his Superior and murmured to Réno, “I’m very sorry, Sir. Good luck, Sir.”

Réno entered the room, which was surprisingly plain. In fact, it could have been just any old study, until, of course, his eyes reached the terrible mass of evil (aka: Satsujiin) sitting in a chair behind the desk with his back turned toward the door.

“Ah…Réno, or should I say Fath --’’ “Save it!” Réno snapped. Satsujiin just smiled a maniacal, evil looking smile. “No need to snap,” He said matter of factly and looked into

the distance. “Now… I suppose you’re wondering the real reason I called you here…” Satsujiin paused, seemingly to enjoy Réno’s anger for a moment, then continued, “Well, I’d like to discuss Karro, you know my daughter, if you wouldn’t mind.” Réno clenched his fists; he had known this was coming, though deep inside himself he had hoped that for some reason it wouldn’t.

. . .

“What about her?” he asked reluctantly. Satsujiin paused and thought about what he could say to push Réno over the edge, then, not surprisingly, he thought of the perfect thing. “Well, I had hoped we could discuss her coming back here, about a week or so before school started, so she could get used to what it will be like living here. Surely if Kiinik were her she would agree with my decision.” That did it. Already he could see the foolish old man’s face growing red with fury. Réno exploded “You monster! How dare you speak of Kiinik as if she were your—’’ without even a moment’s hesitation Satsujiin replied, “as if she were my… wife?” Unfortunately for Réno, Satsujiin was on a role now. The old man seemed to grow three inches, and screamed as loud as he could, “listen you, you 1bikishii, there is no way in hell I would ever send Karro to live with you!” “Alright,” Satsujiin replied with a smirk, “I tried to be nice, but unfortunately you’d rather do this the hard way. First of all, Sir, you are no one to speak to me, this King of Kushiika, that way. Second of a—’’ “I would rather die then send that innocent little girl to this torture chamber!” Réno interrupted. Satsujiin smiled and clasped his hands together. “Why Mr. Morona, if you would just let me finish, I would get to that,” he paused to make sure; Réno was getting the idea, “I was just about to give you a choice. Either you send Karro to live with me, and no one gets hurt… or, you go home to your beloved grand daughter, without any further discussion.” Réno squinted at Satsujiin suspiciously. “What’s the catch?” he asked. “Catch? There’s no catch…Of course, it would be quite a tragedy if you were to die, I mean you are an old man. If that were the case, I would have no choice but to bring Karro to live here, seeing as she lost her only guardian… Are we clear?”

. . .

Oh, it was clear all right, Satsujiin had taken Réno’s own temper and used it as a

1Bikishii(bih/kih/she) –the Kage word most commonly used when calling some one an asshole some times used by children as a joke, though, there are more severe meanings…(it’s really not something you should say to a King)

weapon. He had under estimated Satsujiin, and because of that, Karro was going to pay the price. “Of course Sir. I understand perfectly, it would obviously be best if Karro came to live with you, of course, for whom it would be best, I’m not sure.” Réno said and turned to leave. Just before he closed the door, he stopped and said, “Just remember Satsujiin, no good deed goes unpunished.”

So it was, at that moment, Réno Morona failed to do the one thing he had promised to do, protect Karro from Satsujiin.

“Grandpa? Grandpa! Answer my question!” Réno heard Karro yelling at him. “Hm? Oh, I’m sorry, I wasn’t paying attention, what is it that you asked?” he replied. Karro sighed; “I asked you if you think he’ll still let me see you, even though you two are enemies…or if you would…well…” she trailed off. Réno frowned, “what’s wrong Karro?” “Well… it just… I think that maybe…oh I don’t know how to say this,” she paused and took a deep breath, “he’s going to kill you.”

“Who’s going to kill me?”

“My father is.”

“Now, where are you getting that idea” that incredibly CORRECT idea.

. . .

Karro gave her grandfather a dumb look. Where do you think I got the idea? From my imagination? Sheesh! He can be such a 1Nu’rlier sometimes! Honestly! “I heard them talking the other night.” She said annoyed that Réno didn’t believe her. Everyone did always say that Réno’s stubbornness would be his down fall, but no one actually thought it would.

1Nu’rlier (Nuh/rr/lee/her)- stone head (idiot)

[i]

zeppy♥yozora says...

thanks i couldnt figure out how to italisize... i didn tknow i needed to highlight it first lol xD.

Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:45 am
Alteran wrote a review...

zeppy♥yozora wrote:Chapter 1
The Black Mansion

“Hurry up!” Karro could hear her Grandfather call from ahead of her. She kept walking at the same lackadaisical pace she had been for the past five minutes. Noticing that, her Grandfather stopped and waited for her to catch up to him. “What’s wrong Karro? Aren’t you excited to meet your father?” he asked [s]Karro[/s] cheerfully (though she could see the uneasiness in his eyes).

The bit in green shouldn't be in parentheses. All you need is a comma after cheerfully and get rid of them. And the next part shoudl start its own paragraph cause when a new person starts talkin it starts a new paragraph.

zeppy♥yozora wrote:She sighed and murmured, “I’ll be excited when you are.” The last time Karro had seen her Father was when she was four, and she didn’t remember anything from that long ago.

Everyone always condescended to her about what a “great leader” her father was and how she should “consider herself lucky” that he was her father. Truthfully, she didn’t buy any of that stuff, if Satsujiin was so great why did her mother leave without telling anyone where she was going? And an even better question, [s]was that[/s] if he was such a nice man, why did he change his name to Satsujiin in the first place?
. . .

The two walked in silence for a few minutes until Karro suddenly blurted out, “Any way, why do I have to go live with him? Don’t you think that if he really cared about me, he’d let me stay with you, where I’m happy?” Réno smiled at his grand(one word)daughter. Truthfully, he didn’t have any say in whether or not Karro went to live with her father.

[s]Flashback…[/s]

I strongly suggest a better transition than that. To be totally honest it makes me want to be sick. You could do something like: Réno thought back to the day he got Karro. Something a little more flowing and not so "Hey look at this we're going to have a flashback! see the lines getting all wavy and blurry! But yeah, I really think you should change it.

zeppy♥yozora wrote: Réno Morona stood at the gates of the huge, foreboding, Black Mansion wondering the reason Satsujiin had wanted to speak with him, and fearing that he may already know the answer to that question. The Mansion was really a frightening sight; large, pointed, sharp roofs on top of each of the towers made it look just as evil and dangerous as the man who resided within. The guards arrived and hustled Réno up the long gravel path. One of the men, now escorting him though the halls of the Mansion, seemed to be the “perfect” example of an imperial 1Nu’rlem. He was older, showed no emotion on his face at all, and seemed to be almost a statue that had been animated for two reasons, killing and guarding. Contrary to his partner (most likely superior), the other Lem was very young, probably only about twenty-four or twenty-five. Réno guessed he was a new recruit, because he seemed uneasy, and kept glancing guiltily behind himself at Mr. Morona. They stopped in front of a big elaborate door.

(new paragraph)“He’s in there! Now hurry up, His Majesty does not like to wait” The older Nu’rlem said harshly and started down the hall. He stopped abruptly, turned and added “Koriin move! Now!” The other guard,

That part should be at the very bottom of the page. It disrupts your story where it is.

zeppy♥yozora wrote:Koriin, paused a moment before running to catch with his Superior and murmured to Réno, “I’m very sorry, Sir. Good luck, Sir.”

Again, just use a comma agter evil and write Satsujiin. Parentheses are crude looking and disrupt your stories flow.

zeppy♥yozora wrote:“Ah…Réno, or should I say Fath --’’

(new paragraph) “Save it!” Réno snapped. Satsujiin just smiled a maniacal, evil looking smile.

(new Paragraph)“No need to snap,” He said matter of factly and looked into
the distance. “Now… I suppose you’re wondering the real reason I called you here…” Satsujiin paused, seeming[s]ly[/s] to enjoy Réno’s anger for a moment, then continued, “Well, I’d like to discuss Karro, you know my daughter, if you wouldn’t mind.” Réno clenched his fists; he had known this was coming, though deep inside himself he had hoped that for some reason it wouldn’t.
[s]. . .[/s]

“What about her?” he asked reluctantly.

(new paragraph)Satsujiin paused and thought about what he could say to push Réno over the edge, then, not surprisingly, he thought of the perfect thing. “Well, I had hoped we could discuss her coming back here, about a week or so before school started, so she could get used to what it will be like living here. Surely if Kiinik were her she would agree with my decision.” That did it. Already he could see the foolish old man’s face growing red with fury.

(new paragraph)Réno exploded “You monster! How dare you speak of Kiinik as if she were your—’’ [s]without even a moment’s hesitation Satsujiin replied,[/s]

(new paragraph)“as if she were my… wife?”

(new Paragraph)Unfortunately for Réno, Satsujiin was on a role now. The old man seemed to grow three inches, and screamed as loud as he could, “listen you, you 1bikishii, there is no way in hell I would ever send Karro to live with you!”

(newparagraph)“Alright,” Satsujiin replied with a smirk, “I tried to be nice, but unfortunately you’d rather do this the hard way. First of all, Sir, you are no one to speak to me, this King of Kushiika, that way. Second of a—’’

(newparagraph) “I would rather die then send that innocent little girl to this torture chamber!” Réno interrupted. Satsujiin smiled and clasped his hands together.

(newparagraph)“Why Mr. Morona, if you would just let me finish, I would get to that,” he paused to make sure; Réno was getting the idea, “I was just about to give you a choice. Either you send Karro to live with me, and no one gets hurt… or, you go home to your beloved grand daughter, without any further discussion.” Réno squinted at Satsujiin suspiciously.

(newparagraph)“What’s the catch?” he asked.

(newparagraph)“Catch? There’s no catch…Of course, it would be quite a tragedy if you were to die, I mean you are an old man. If that were the case, I would have no choice but to bring Karro to live here, seeing as she lost her only guardian… Are we clear?”
. . .

This should also be at the bottom and it would be a number two because you used number one already.

zeppy♥yozora wrote:weapon. He had under estimated Satsujiin, and because of that, Karro was going to pay the price. “Of course Sir. I understand perfectly, it would obviously be best if Karro came to live with you, of course, for whom it would be best, I’m not sure.” Réno said and turned to leave. Just before he closed the door, he stopped and said, “Just remember Satsujiin, no good deed goes unpunished.”

“Grandpa? Grandpa! Answer my question!” Réno heard Karro yelling at him. “Hm? Oh, I’m sorry, I wasn’t paying attention, what is it that you asked?” he replied. Karro sighed;

(newparagraph)“I asked you if you think he’ll still let me see you, even though you two are enemies…or if you would…well…” she trailed off.

(newparagraph)Réno frowned, “what’s wrong Karro?”

(newparagraph)“Well… it just… I think that maybe…oh I don’t know how to say this,” she paused and took a deep breath, “he’s going to kill you.”

“Who’s going to kill me?”
“My father is.”

You shouldn't use caps. It doesn't look good and italics serve the same purpose.

. . .

zeppy♥yozora wrote:Karro gave her grandfather a dumb look. Where do you think I got the idea? From my imagination? Sheesh! He can be such a 1Nu’rlier sometimes! Honestly! “I heard them talking the other night.” She said annoyed that Réno didn’t believe her. Everyone did always say that Réno’s stubbornness would be his down fall, but no one actually thought it would.

The place where she is thinking should be in italics. You just have to highlight it before you post and click the I button.

Some over all thoughts.

I think you have some well thought out characters. they need fleshing, but for a start they are great and as you continue the story they will grow and become more.

Remember that new dialogue means a new paragraph. When you run lines together it can get confusing as to who is talking when. Also don't use dialogue tags as much. You know that bits of so and so said. Or things like cheerfully said and the like. It's fine once in a while, but do it sparingly and let your dialogue express the tone.

Your footnotes are cool, I like to know what words mean, but you have to put them at the bottom of the page. I know that more than likely whatever program you are using has them on the bottom, but you might want to alter it when you post here just for clarities sake. Like I said it messes with the flow and that's bad.

Overall I liked it. I think it looks pretty interesting. I'm curious as to what is going to happen to Karro.

I think the best thing about making it into the quote generator is when nobody tells you, so one day you're just scrolling and voila, some phenomenally inane thing that crawled out of your dying synapses and immediately regretted being born the second it made contact with the air has been archived for all time. Or worse, a remark of only average inanity. Never tell me when you've put me in the generator. Pride-tinged regret just doesn't taste the same without the spice of surprise.
— SirenCymbaline