Unfinished St.Patrick's Day story: Ashamed and Irish

by zelithon

Micheal Seamus Patrick O'flannigan Sean McMurphy had a very long name. Why am I bothering telling you this? You can see for yourself. Anyway Micheal Seamus Patrick O'flannigan Sean McMurphy was the son of Irish immigrants who liked many names almost enough to have many children but not quite. So in America (which was not nearly so good as was advertised) they had a many named son.

Micheal Seamus Patrick O'flannigan Sean McMurphy had a normal enough childhood but for the fact that no one called him by his first name or a nickname for that matter. Even his initials MSPOSM were too long for the young boy. So a few times he introduced himself simply as Micheal or even Mike, but his parents would have none of that. His thick red faced father would cuff the back of his head and say, "That there is yor heritage boy! Don't you go around shortening it! Be proud! Be a man!" his father always added "be a man" to any lecture or motivational speech he gave Micheal Seamus Patrick O'flannigan Sean McMurphy, he had got it from American sitcoms. And his mother would always say, "listen to your father dear" just like sitcom mothers. The point is he introduced himself as Micheal Seamus Patrick O'flannigan Sean McMurphy and got called that. It was a wonder anyone could remember the whole thing.

It also posed a problem at school. It was a rather long name to write. For spelling tests his teacher always skipped straight to the spelling so he never had enough time to get all the words. Micheal Seamus Patrick O'flannigan Sean McMurphy loathed his name and vowed to have it changed when he grew up. He had the nagging suspicion that his father named him while drunk and was resentful of it so decided he would rename himself something like Ling, Ching or Chang. Some thing one syllable and completely not Irish.

Perhaps because of his long name that never seemed to fit for being to long. Micheal Seamus Patrick O'flannigan Sean McMurphy soon grew to accommodated his name by 10Th grade he was 6 foot by 11Th he was 6ft 3... and a half. He would have liked it if it were not for his flaming red hair, freckle covered face, shoulders, arms (he even had a dark blue freckle in his blue eyes) and pale pasty complexion. The effect was that he looked like one tall lanky strip of salami. Imagine looking like salami-it was mortifying. Many times he had tried to get a tan but got sunburned instead.

Other than that his adolescence was perfectly normal.

Okay...well that is an interesting one. There's certainly a very different sort of tone to this piece that you don't see too terribly often in a story and the humor that we're seeing here is creating an interesting addition to things. We'll see where this goes, its not the most hilarious of sorts but it keeps you interested I think and that's always great.

Well alright this name is proving to be a bit more important than I expected and it seems like we're headed in a direction where we've sort of got almost a more serious tone to this matter under this branch of humor. I was not expecting the sort of depth this is hinting at here and I am pleasantly surprised.

Well that was a bit of an awkward ending I feel. It sort of went towards a bit of description which then became almost a bit of a roast of this person's looks and then it tries to end on a bit of a punchline but it really doesn't work that well for me. And of course this being incomplete doesn't help matters very much either, so this is a little bit meh at the moment.

ladydark wrote a review...

haha.. nice.. and tbr :( what do you mean by thaat, Irish rule, but anywyas, ya, got a gooood beginning but then it sorta... went down hill quite quickly, the joke at the end was like... 'wtf mate', funny but odd at same time. change it a bit perhaps? Overall its pretty good... but slow

Elizabeth wrote a review...

Hahaha
I know only one more person with a long name, but it is still shorter than this...
But yeah. aggree with everybody else.
Still funny though.
*Damn Irish :P*

Fireweed wrote a review...

This was pretty funny, though I agree with snoink that the joke wore a little thin by the end, and I second kiashana's suggestion to develop it more. It's cute though; poor Micheal Seamus Patrick O'Flannigan Sean Mcmurphy. :) That's fun to say with a little lilt at the end, like an irish person. Anyway, I liked what you said at the beginning about how his parents were so fond of so many irish names but only had one son to dump them on, and the thing about his parent's nicking phrases from sitcoms, and your description of Micheal. Funny. I can picture Micheal well, but so you haven't shown us much about what kind of person he is besides an ordinary guy with an unfortunate name.
Maybe you could go beyond the name & appearance.

Kudos! 8)

Snoink wrote a review...

Okay, first of all, I want to compliment you. By using the spellchecker, it made this story THAT much better. Instead of getting held up by fighting with grammar and spelling demons, I was able to read it straight through with not as many problems. And it made sense. So yes, I compliment you very much because it's nice to see improvement like that. :D

The story itself was a dry kind of style which Grif would like more than me. I like poetic prose stuff. Even so, I did think the constant repetition of the name did slow it down somewhat (though it was funny at first). So you might want to look at that.

And that dad is just... *shakes head*

So.... I see improvement! :D

kiashana wrote a review...

I like the character's name, and I think this could be interesting if you were to develop it more. You've stated that it's unfinished- could you give me an idea of where it's headed? I can think of any number of directions, mostly because all you've done so far is introduce the character. While it's a great character intro and I have a very clear image of Michael Seamus Patrick O'Flannigan Sean McMurphy, I would like to actually see something happen to him!

But even the worst decisions we make don't necessarily remove us from the circle of humanity.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore