z

Young Writers Society



The Artist

by zankoku_na_tenshi


Warm charcoal against cold white sky
Line after line, line, line—
This is not a city but a keep
And sometimes you have to build walls.
Scratch them out on precious, rare
White paper
Will there be enough? I don’t know
Anymore.

I am God at His brush,
Apologetic and trembling—
I’ve always been a liar.
The bag of paint at my side—torn, and dirty,
Like the water that washes away each failure.
Scrub red off of uncertain hands;
See, a little water clears us
Of this deed:
How easy.
Easy.
It is not.

******************
A/N: God, I'm so nervous. XD What's wrong with me? Gotta do this before I lose my nerve...

Uh... anyway, I'm not usually a poetry person... at all. XD I don't even know if this is the right category.

But uh... we were reading and interpreting some Plath works in Language Arts, and they kind of inspired me. Anyway, I know this isn't that great; I haven't written a poem since, like, sixth grade. But I kinda wanted to try my hand at something new, and so... yeah.

I know it's pretty bad, don't eat me. XD But I'm curious to see if I can make it better, or if I'm really just trying to do something I can't.

So yeah. Time to throw some tomatoes. XD


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 3042
Reviews: 14

Donate
Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:59 am
View Likes
papersolstice wrote a review...



Ooooh! I like the last line! Reminds me of Macbeth, with the "Out damn spot!" bit. Love it!
Heheheh... Sorry about that. I like Shakespeare. :P
Soooo I'm not really good at understanding poetry, so if I get this wrong, my bad. There were parts that I didn't really get, but then there were ones where it made a lot of sense to me, so... I liked it. My favourite lines were "This is not a city but a keep
And sometimes you have to build walls." and the other one I already mentioned :P
Anywho, caught my eye. I liked it!




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 14

Donate
Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:09 pm
Shinigamizm wrote a review...



I like this, it has a postmodern feel to it, it's very contemporary in its style.
A couple of things I'll suggest - you have two examples of white things in the first stanza, this is just a little awkward for me. It may be deliberate but I'd perhaps think of a different way of describing the paper. I don't think you need to mention the paper's colour at all, actually. 'on precious, rare paper' says all you need by itself.

Other than that, I'd just take a look at some of the punctuation and consider scrapping a few of the capital letters, you don't need a lot of them, and I think the presentation of the poem will benefit if you change it around a bit. :)




User avatar
260 Reviews


Points: 13389
Reviews: 260

Donate
Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:22 am



Thanks so much for your advice, both of you! ^_^ You bth bring up really good points.

The only real problem I had was between the first and second stanzas, it was kind of like reading two different poems (don't get me wrong the two poems connected!) but I kind of enjoyed the second stanza more than the first.


Yeah, I think the same, actually. XD I preferred the second stanza a lot while I was writing it, and trying to make sure the whole poem flows together is definitely something I'll try harder for in the future. XD

I like the imagery and I like the feeling BUT it seems to chunky... something that they would would make you read and annotate in class where the teacher has gone insane and is choosing poetry at random.


XD, that may be because it's kind of inspired by some pretty abstract poetry. Thanks! I'll try to make future poems a little bit less so, if I end up writing any. XD

Anyway, thanks so much for your help! I'm really grateful. ^_^




User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 1335
Reviews: 15

Donate
Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:56 pm
lizzifer wrote a review...



im really happy that you had the nerve to post something! I hate when people are all "this sucks! Im going to delete it before anyone lays eyes on my work!"

NOW TO THE POEM

I like the imagery and I like the feeling BUT it seems to chunky... something that they would would make you read and annotate in class where the teacher has gone insane and is choosing poetry at random.




User avatar


Points: 890
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:31 pm
Dee wrote a review...



Okay, so i'm kind of in the same boat with you (not much of a poetry person) but I can appreciate poetry. I'm not a grammar person either, so I won't be looking for grammar mistakes. I'll just say that I enjoyed your poem thoroughly. This might not make too much sense, but I got the feeling that it was your voice that was speaking, like you were writing your own way and that made it sound all the better. The only real problem I had was between the first and second stanzas, it was kind of like reading two different poems (don't get me wrong the two poems connected!) but I kind of enjoyed the second stanza more than the first.
Like I said i'm not a poetry person, so maybe my review was way off. Just know that all in all I enjoyed it and (if you can get tips from a worthy person) you should definitely continue working with poetry. :D





I like anchovies~ but nobody calls me that.
— alliyah